Roller Coaster Tycoon (By Atari)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by killercow, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    #21 paul.hendricks, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    According to the Wikipedia article, Atari owns both Infogrames and Hasbro Interactive. No mention if they own the individual IP rights.

2. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Atari must've read my mind!!!

I'm overjoyed at this news. Hopefully its not just a port, and they add a few elements in (w/o taking away the core gameplay) and that it is premiumly priced (freemium will just make it paytowin imho).

3. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    +1. I never played RCT 3 and beyond, but I never liked its style anyways. RCT1 & 2 are probably the best PC games of all time. I spent hundreds of hours playing these games, and I played them up until about 2010!! One thing I really loved doing was building the Go Kart tracks! :):)

4. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    True. Sim City (ios) was so bare-boned compared to the pc version. I was really hoping for RCT3, but that's probably not possible because even my Macbook Pro (running bootcamp) has trouble playing that game on full graphics.

For designing roller coasters, AIRCOASTER (ios) feels very similar to NO-LIMITS ROLLER COASTER SIMULATION for PC. Check it out if you haven't.

5. I actually have been thinking of what they could do if they ported Roller Coaster Tycoon to iOS recently

First of all, the touch controls could be useful for making roller coasters, we could have it so you could drag your finger along the screen to make the track. If they do it like RCT3, then maybe we could use the Gyroscope, so we could tilt the device to make the track..we could also use the gyroscope to look along the ride if we are riding it

Secondly, since iDevice games nowadays are starting to become more online-based, how about a online-hub, where we could share roller coasters, theme parks and different scenarios...it also might be nice if we could run parks together with other people, unless that would end up being too difficult

Finally, we should get a whole lot of content. If Atari are making this game like the original RCT's, then maybe they could include content from both of those games..we could add features from RCT3 and it's expansion pack, this could be like a complete collection of the Roller Coaster Tycoons...and it would also be awesome to get updates with content based on other games, theme parks, tv shows, pretty much anywhere..and we could use our own music and pictures to make parks more unique

I know that the people at Atari probably won't read this, it's just nice to share my ideas with other

..and can we also make it so N-Space doesn't ruin this oppurtunity?

6. RickyBrooke

RickyBrooke Well-Known Member

May 13, 2012
    #26 RickyBrooke, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    Wow! This is the news I've been waiting for since I started playing iOS games!!!

Rollercoaster Tycoon is my number #1 game of all time! I was always hoping that Atari, Chris Sawyer or Frontier would port this awesome game over to iOS....it's perfect for this platform and will look spectacular on retina screens. My iPhone 5 is bouncing about with excitement!

I followed the franchise right from the 90's with RCT1 through to RCT2 & RCT3 and bought every expansion pack. I still play them every so often now and was part of the online community building and sharing parks for years.

I take it that you all are also watching and waiting for Frontier's 'Coaster Crazy' to be released before the end of the year? They developed and released RCT3. Check out the articles on Touch Arcade it looks great.... BUT they cannot touch the brilliance of the original RCT for gameplay, customisation and creativity. I really hope the controls port over okay, they should do as they weren't a complicated system - just lots of tabs, clicking to select, rotating and placing. The opportunity for downloadable expansion packs is immense and I would pay for IAPs in-game if the content was exclusive and worth it.

If this port is done right ALL of the RCT community will come back onto the scene to support it!

Please Atari do this right and make us proud...

See you at the Park Gates peeps!!!

7. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Make it station station corner corner straight straight corner corner back in station and set runs on 8. Epic money while spending nothing to build the track:p
    Cant wait to play this again on my ipad. I will do all parks again:D

8. RickyBrooke

May 13, 2012
    "I can't wait for the park to open"

9. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Well there is hope that this will be like classic RCT because the recent 3DS version followed that formula, but got pretty poor reviews as far as I know. This is one of those games I always think, 'Why hasn't someone cloned this yet?'.

10. fenderbendr

fenderbendr Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Any news on whether it will be freemium or not?

11. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Irony or fate... I just got a new PC with Windows 8 on it and was going through my old games as I was setting up accounts for the kids and thought "my son would love these games!"

That led to me showing him how to play it, my wife reloading it on her computer and us talking about how awesome it would be if this game were ever made for iPad (my wife has a 2, I a 3, the kids have iTouches). This is funny, ironic and great news and now I can say I can not wait!

Funny story: when the original first came out I downloaded the demo for it and played it for a few hours until my wife got home. When she got home I told her about it and she played it for an hour or two to the length the demo would allow. She then turned to me and said "we need to go buy this game right now!" But alas, it was eleven at night, game stores closed... And so there we were at Walmart, in the PC game section buying it and heading back home to fight over who was going to play it!

So when I say I am excited about this coming to iOS devices, that enthusiasm is understated by the text on the screen. On the outside I am reserved; on the inside I am doing Cirque du Soleil acrobatics!

As an aside, I am loving all the PC game love iOS is getting! Avernum, Baldur's Gate, now this... I'd pay in kitten souls for a 40K Dawn of War iOS announcement!

12. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    RCT 3 was actually very good! It played exactly like the others with lots of improvements to the core game design, and the graphics were great. Don't let the visuals sway your judgement, if you play it you will find it is very much RCT, just with more features and a different visual style! There is a reason the game still sells for $30!

13. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    It would be really easy to fear that Atari's going to butcher this one, conceptually (cough, freemium) and otherwise, but I have faith that they won't ruin this one, and will actually give us what we want. And I'll be really pissed if they fail, yeah.

14. fenderbendr

fenderbendr Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    I wonder why TA hasn't mentioned anything about this in one of their articles. :confused:

15. RickyBrooke

May 13, 2012
    Same here, how come no announcement TA?

16. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Still no news? I'm hoping its RC2 that gets ported, because to be honest I hated RC3.

17. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    I loved 3 as well.

Own all 3 and loved the first two, but three was just the proper evolution and the creative options are limitless (and the music is great).

18. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Now we just need Zoo Tycoon. :)

19. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Agree x100 times!

20. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Zoo tycoon 2 was very good, but endangered species was the bomb.