Nintendo Copying App Store Schedule

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SirAwesome, Jun 14, 2011.

1. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Nintendo Store updates moved to Thursday
    House of Mario shifts virtual storefront additions to later in the week; WiiWare, Virtual Console, DSiWare, and 3DS eShop games included.

Gamers eager to get their hands on new downloadable Nintendo wares this morning were left empty-handed, but not because of the security issue that hit Nintendo Europe. The Japanese game giant today announced its plan to shift its downloadable store updates from Monday morning to Thursdays going forward.

A new Nintendo downloadable game will no longer help a "case of the Mondays."
    The weekly update will include information about new additions to Nintendo's download hubs: WiiWare, DSiWare, the Virtual Console, and the recently launched eShop, which opened on June 6.

The most recent Nintendo Store Update arrived last Monday and brought puzzle game Ubongo to WiiWare and Go Series Picdun, Dreamwalker, and Cypronia's Crazy Cheebo: Puzzle Party to DSiWare. There were no Wii Virtual Console additions last week.

I found this pretty interesting considering that the app store big releases have always been on Thursday. Was nintendo taking notes ?

2. red12355

red12355 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Well, I'm guessing that there is a reason why iOS devs release games on Thursday. Maybe it's just the optimal day for releases or something?

3. Monkeyy

Monkeyy Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Right here, of course
    I thought app store releases were on Wednesday because that's when the top app charts (top free, top paid, and top grossing) reset.

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Yeah, this. It's Wednesday, not Thursday. So maybe Nintendo picked it so they don't get overshadowed by the appstore?

5. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Its not wednesday. Its thursday. 11:00 pm EST on wednesday night is not really wednesday anymore. Give it an hour and its thursday already.

Also,top charts refresh in real time instead of once a week. The featured games (staff favorites, New & Noteworthy, iPhone/iPad Game/App of the week etc) are weekly affairs though. I'm not exactly sure when these get refreshed but its definitely either thursday or later instead of wednesday.

6. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I disagree with you-- I mean, at the very least it's more like half thursday and half wednesday for the western world. You get a lot of hype that builds up from New Zealand and on, and then it hits at 11pm for people in Eastern Time.

7. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    lol. So if a dev announces on Tuesday that a high profile game (lets say something as big as CoD:MW for iphone) will be out on Thursday, will it mean the app released on Tuesday even if it's not out until thursday?

8. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Eh, something like that. What i mean is, when an app comes out in NZ and then moves across by time zones, you have people on forums like TouchArcade who scramble for reviews and impressions from the first buyers, as well as posts on the frontpage and on other blogs, and then that builds hype.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't think devs are concerned about the time zone, the same thing would happen regardless of which day the game is released.

Xbox Live and PSN both avoid releasing content at the beginning of the week too, perhaps consumers just spend more closer to the upcoming weekend.

10. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    I guess it makes sense more time to play games. I'm unfamiliar with psn and xbla but do they have a featured section how apple does that would motivate the devs to release on a certain day for highest chance to be featured?

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Not really, the whole store is updated on the same day so developers don't have a choice. They feature games on the front page of the store but I think that's just MS/Sony's personal idea of what the the most popular release is. Possibly paid advertising space... nothing to do with release dates though.