iOS Games - Volume distribution

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Option4Studios, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Option4Studios

Option4Studios Active Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I was just wondering if anyone has any solutions in regards to volume distribution of iOS games?

Essentially Kickstarter is used as a preorder website and we would like to offer our game for the iOS. Apple Volume purchasing seemed to be the answer however you can only do that within your own territory. It would be a logistical nightmare and unfair to only offer to pledgers within our own country.

So, we asked Apple how to distribute to 1000s of copies home and abroad..and we got a response you can only get 100 promotional codes. We didn't ask for promotional codes we said..and anyhow..they're for promotion?! Apple said try another department and that dept said...you can only get 100 promotional codes.

Any ideas or advice please or should we just offer DRM free PC downloads?

2. Jakintosh

Jakintosh Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Game Designer/Programmer
    Montreal, QC
    As far as I know, developers only have access to the promo codes for distribution outside of individuals purchasing the app from the app store. I'll be monitoring this thread though, because I would love to know if there is another way.

3. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Do you have a free version? Or demo that can turn into a full version? If yes, add a way to enter a code. I guess you could store few 1000's valid keys and send one to your backers.
    In a later update, you could remove this stuff, so people don't share codes (as long as you validate the purchase). Nit the best solution but feasable.

JC

4. Option4Studios

Option4Studios Active Member

Jan 1, 2014
    At one time that was a solution as a Kickstarter game released a free version with limited content which then their backers could enter a code. However I've heard and also read Apple's terms and conditions that you're not allowed to have content unlocked by a code. So essentially they've closed a loophole :(

I just wish Kickstarter would work with Apple so successful projects can distribute their game easier. I've assumed not being able to purchase volume copies for abroad is down to money laundering reasons.

5. Depending on the type of game, you could make a limited version of the game free and have an in-app purchase to upgrade to the paid version.

You could then give out your own custom "promo codes" that would be verified against your server and then activate the full version of the game for Kickstarter backers as if they had purchase the IAP.

I've done this in the past (as have other devs) for support purposes (e.g., I was able to give users their virtual coins back if they lost them).