Games that surprised you!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by barl, Jul 26, 2009.

1. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    Are there any games that you have bought from the AppStore
    that surprised you?

• Maybe for how surprisingly good they were...
    • ...Or how disappointing they were
    • Or that they were not how they were described on their AppStore page.

Terminator surprised me by how expansive it was, with great graphics, and immersive gameplay (despite being a little short.)

Rolando 2 surprised me after not being a big fan of the original, and falling in love with its sequel.

What about everyone else?

2. Flashbang99

Flashbang99 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2009
    We need more of these threads...

3. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    iFart, its probably one of the best apps ever, 100% better than Real Racing. I've racked up more than 100 hours on it.

4. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Hi Barl. I was surprised at how great Hero of Sparta and BIA were. Not as short as people said and action packed as well. I was also surprised with Motochaser, Monkey Ball, and Crazy Snowboard, because they were the first 3D games I've ever had on a handheld. Cube seemed surprisingly bad the first couple minutes, but then became surprisingly awesome. I was surprised with Assassin's Creed and I Love Katamari (I never thought I would like them until I played the lite versions. Now they are my top two). I was surprised with how good Dinosmash Online is. And Payback also took me by surprise (First GTA-ish game I've ever had. I played it on my cousin's device and automatically bought it).

5. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK

6. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    Hahaha - Good for you :)

7. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    Enviro-Bear 2010. The ultimate example of not judging a book by it's cover.

8. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    #8 barl, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    Hey.
    Both Hero of Sparta and BIA are great games. They were some of the first I got for my iPhone. But I think the first game I got was Super Monkey Ball; Everyone criticised it for its over-sensitive accelerometer controls, but I loved it!

Assassin's Creed is a great game too. And like you, I only decided to purchase it after trying out the LITE version.
    Payback is fab too, and is one of those rare games that I keep on finding myself going back to play on my iPhone, despite how much I've already played it.

9. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    I think I'm gonna have to give Enviro-Bear 2010 a try sometime soon.

10. rileyman

rileyman Member

Feb 8, 2009
    harbor master, i really didnt like flight control but harbor master was so much fun.
    pocket god: being #1 on itunes i bought it, and it was awful boring and stupid. whats fun about dropping a little guy in water and letting him get eaten by sharks? -_-

11. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    I have to agree with you - I tried out Pocket God, and was disappointed.
    I felt like I had missed out on something, because the demographic seemed to enjoy it immensely.

12. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    dude you joined two weeks ago and have 28 posts

13. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I agree with you too. Also a lot of one-star reviews for flight control were all proclaming how pg > fc, probably from back when the two were competing for the top spot.

There was huge hype over Rolando, which is one of the most annoying games I've played.

Flight control is a game that has stayed on my iPod for longer than a looot of others I've gotten. I bought that one before it became so popular and was pleasantly surprised.

14. Blade

Blade Active Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Arhcibald's Adventures.
    114 levels in the first part, 48 more in the 2nd part. Great game play, solid graphics. Just an all around fun game to play.

15. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Baseball Slugger...At first I thought that the idea of just hitting a ball was terrribly boring, but after trying it, it was addicting :D

16. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    This was what I was gonna post when I saw this thread. I thought Sluggers would be a "one hit wonder" but since purchasing it on day one I've played it more than ALL other apps I've purchased combined! :eek:

Not a bad $2.99 investment. Thanks Com2us.

17. Xanthos

Xanthos Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Paper Toss surprised me. I was really skeptical about tossing a paper into a bin, but when I got it due to the popularity, I got hooked and have been tossing ever since.

18. ROCKST4R

ROCKST4R Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Zenonia,
    Looked to complicated, and when i tried the lite version, i wasn't really sucked in to the story, But it was on sale, and a buddy of mine talked me in to buying it. I am obsessed with it now, a really great game.
    Super Monkey Ball also surprised me. it was the first game or app on my iphone, and i could not believe that my mobile phone was doing that. Then again, thats before i even knew they could make a game with tilt controls. : )

19. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    touch cricket - I thought it was going to be a gltchy, crappy and rubbish game, but i really like cricket. Guess what I love it!

zen bound - dear lord i would rather sit in church on easter day for 12 hours singing hymns and praying than play this game, HUGE disappointment! (if you knew me that would be a giant insult)

20. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS