Looking for Good Tower Defense Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by antonyinlondon, Nov 20, 2014.

1. antonyinlondon

Nov 20, 2014
    Hello again - sorry if this has been endlessly discussed already but wondering what other TD games you guys like / can recommend.

For my the KR games are truly the best, but close second comes Fieldrunners 1/2. Others that I've loved include jelly defence, gedefense (back in the day) oh the list goes on.

Someone earlier mentioned Crystal Siege, which I'd not heard of and am downloading now (will get to it in a few weeks after origins!), so thanks for that tip !

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Cursed Tower Defense is my absolute number two favorite. I can't find a TD that comes close to topping KR but Cursed is as close as it's come. That one has a permanent spot on my phone.

3. antonyinlondon

Nov 20, 2014
    Yes I've enjoyed that too, was a slow burner to start with but got great when I eventually clicked with it. Not sure about the replay value though?

4. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    I'm assuming you meant Cursed Treasure 2? If so, I completed agree with you.

5. antonyinlondon

Nov 20, 2014
    curious, anyone ever heard of cursed treasure 1 ?!

6. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    #6 Jake7905, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    You might also like Man at Arms TD, it's similar to Kingdom Rush in terms of look and TD mechanics, but throws in a card collecting and crafting twist to the usual TD formula. For standard, but excellent, TD games I'd recommend Anomaly Defenders, OTTTD, and Cursed Treasure 2.

7. rosco_ryan

rosco_ryan New Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Also give the Sentinel series a try.

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #8 Ayjona, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    The last reasonably pure TD that did it for me was Defender Chronicles 2. At least slightly innovative, with extreme replayability thanks to the RPG aspects and hero progression, and unusual tactical depth.

I've heard very good things about Tower Dwellers, though, and how it tweaks the KR formula in nice ways.

Anomaly Defenders is super-polished, if a bit traditional (though with a nice ability tree), Pirate Legends TD and Empires of Sands are basically (very nice) reskins of Kingdom Rush, Man at Arms and Prime World: Defenders throw collective cards into the mix (which actually do a LOT for tactical depth, as the player can suddenly choose between hundreds of combinations of tweaked and evolved towers, and combine and sell and collect cards which all add to the stratregic considerations), and the Sentinels series (as mentioned above) are all excellent TDs.

If yer willing to step further away from the traditional TD formula, there are a few games which provide enough tower defensiveness to fulfill a similar need, but that are much more tactically satisfying. Block Fortress, Dungeon Defenders (especially the Eternity remake for the PC, and the upcoming sequel), rymdkapsel, Space Station: Frontier and Bug Heroes 1/2 all give me a similar sensation as regular TDs, but with much greater variety.

9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I don't even think defender chronicles 2 is on the app store anymore. For some weird reason.

10. antonyinlondon

Nov 20, 2014
    Thanks, tried many of the recommendations, but not Man at Arms, so will d/l that :)

11. antonyinlondon

Nov 20, 2014

Thanks - some great recommends :)

12. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Yes I bought it when I finished Cursed Treasure 2. Cursed Treasure 2 is quite a bit better, but the first is similar and is still fun.

How odd, I wonder why. I played that game for ages on my phone.

13. SoProlix

SoProlix New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    I'd love to see more of people's favorite TDs! I'm addicted. Seems like my favorite TD games rarely get called out. I don't care much for open field TD, so Fieldrunners doesn't make my list. Some of these are pretty old. :)

Kingdom Rush series: kind of goes without saying. See also Tower dwellers, Man at Arms, Little Bit Evil.

Defender Chronicles 1/2: I enjoy the RPG elements. I've never gotten to the Mythic levels, but imagine you would want IAP to do that. Gear gets expensive. But at the middle levels a fun, in depth challenge that wasn't too grindy for me. With multiple heroes and lots of maps, there's a lot of content here.

Staunch Defense: Hands down the best tower defense game I've played on iOS. A lot of support/resource buildings and technologies to check out. Advanced resource management, land, gold, 4 elements. Good variety of creeps, seriously. And tower types you've never seen before or since. LOTS of strategic possibilities. Some people don't like the graphics. They aren't fancy, but they do the job which is more important to me. I wish everybody and their cat would go out and buy this game. Would love to see a sequel!

Mikado Defenders: Similar in some ways to KR, but you can tell its older. You build units on designated spots, melee and ranged units available. You also earn heroes who can be deployed with a unit, give that unit bonus health/damage/special abilities, and level up with experience. But you have to upgrade your castle sufficiently to lure the boss monster to get a chance at them. That isn't always easy. Totally loved this game.

DOFUS Battles: OMG, so good. A lot like PvZ in mechanics, but you're using heroes that you can equip and level up. Cute story and excellent production values. A genuine challenge.

4towers: A little different. Love the clean, geometric graphics. 3 basic tower types that can be combined to create additional tower types. Build on designate locations, but no penalty for selling and rebuilding. Often, you have to. A nice variety of creeps and a good challenge.

Tiny Heroes: Felt almost as much like a puzzle as a tower defense game. Great production values. Cute.

7 Cities: Not one that I come back to, but really enjoyed it when it came out. Hex board, fixed path, towers gain experience and have upgrade paths within the level as well as RPG type upgrades. Decent challenge.

Magical Girl TD: Retro graphics, seems really simple, but super challenging.

14. DezTheSpic

DezTheSpic Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2014
    #14 DezTheSpic, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    Incursion The Thing is similar in look to Kingdom Rush. Not played it too much but looks promising so far.

Qube Kingdoms is by Dena and again in a fantasy setting. It's free to play but you can earn good towers just by grinding, particularly in events.

Demons vs Fairyland is another great TD.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I generally dont like TD games, but there are still ones that wow'd me to the point of completion. That should count as something i think, and these are my favorite TD titles on iOS now:

Crystal Siege
    Castle Doombad
    OTTTD

16. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Army of darkness defense. Yes it's based on army of darkness. It's awesome.

17. 2Desserts

2Desserts Active Member

Hey guys, hope you don't mind the shameless plug, but our game Strategic Defence is (you guessed it), a more strategic take on the classic TD, with completion of primary and secondary objectives across the map.

Check out the discussion on a another thread on Touch Arcade for some of the member opinions so far.

There is a lite version, so hope you check it out, and we'd love to know what you think:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=247389

UK App Store
    http://toucharcade.com/link/http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/strategic-defence/id927888082?mt=8

US App Store:
    http://toucharcade.com/link/https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/strategic-defence/id927888082?mt=8

* Available for iPad
    * No in app purchases
    * 25 missions
    * 20+ hrs of gameplay

Thanks
    Debbie from the 2Desserts team

18. 2Desserts

2Desserts Active Member

Hi, I am Dean the developer of Strategic defence and I would like to share my top 3 tower defence games for those interested.

1. Prime World Defenders:
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/defenders/id688851478?mt=8
    A different take on upgrading towers using cards that are collected from winning missions or the daily reward. The cards can be put into slots and act as your towers in the level (this uses the classic TD mechanic). Cards can be combined between levels to upgrade your towers making them more powerful. There are also cards that are ‘powers’ that can be used during the level with a cool-down. This is the TD game I have spent the most time playing due to this unique mechanic.

It is very different, challenging and a bit of a grind when trying to upgrade those last towers. There are also a limited number of levels that are repeated making the grind a bit boring from time to time especially when you need to take on a huge number of waves. The satisfaction however of finally getting that rare card is immense.

2. 4Towers Onslaught
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/4towers-onslaught-combo-td/id453692906?mt=8
    Another very different game with lovely neon graphics that give it a style of its own. Customising your towers with various genes makes for an interesting upgrade system and one that becomes quiet addictive as you try and find the best solution for the level at hand.

As you progress in difficulty the grind hits hard and I found myself resorting to IAP for more biomatter (the currency for buying upgrades) to bypass hours of just playing the same levels over and over. It is still an enjoyable game with some fiendish but cunning levels.

3. GemCraft
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gemcraft/id418510736?mt=8
    Another very different TD game. You towers (and traps) are gems and by combining different gems together you can create some powerful and unique defences. Whilst not the prettiest of games to look at the gameplay more than makes up for it.

The various game modes and ton of levels keep the experience fresh but can make it feel like a grind at times especially when you are trying to get more experience for that upgrade that will allow you to beat the harder levels/modes.

I have drawn a lot of inspiration and enjoyment playing these games and have lost many hours playing them. They all have IAP (something I don’t like) and unless you are ready to put in hours of grinding this is the only way to unlock the more powerful towers/upgrades.

What really made these game stand out for me are the various upgrade systems and mechanics. There are many more I could recommend but these are the ones that have left a lasting impression and the ones I come back to every now and then.

Dean (Developer of Strategic Defence).

19. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Nothing that looks good this week so maybe I'll try Strategic Defence

20. 2Desserts

2Desserts Active Member

Would be great to find out to what you think of it too.