Universal Penny Arcade's On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 (byTinkerHouse)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    And I say: heeeeyyyy.... I still have 14 GB free on my phone.... :D

2. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Thank goodness I have a 64gb 5. Looking forward to this. Finally. I destroyed cthulu.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Some quick imps:

I lreally like the looks of this. Retro graphics similar to Cthulhu Saves the World. The controls are similar as well, comes with the control options from CSTW.

There's some pretty funny dialogue, and im looking forward to how the story progresses.

This is pretty much what i like in a console type RPG, and im sure i'll be spending time on this... after I finish Dark Gate.

This seems like a great purchase for $3, and I hope there is much content in this for the almost 1gb space it eats on my idevice.

4. jamsie07

jamsie07 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    So I'm guessing this is random battles like there previous games?

Anyone happen to know if it has the option to cap the battles in a specific area like chuthulu saves the world has?

5. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    It's says 134 mb why did someone say a gig?

6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Um...it's out in the US suckaz. Hop on it!

7. drewpoc

drewpoc Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Muahahaha!!!...I'm gonna buy them all!..cause I'm a full time worker...and I'm rich b?$&@!

8. SirFobos

SirFobos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Police Officer
    Kansas City
    #28 SirFobos, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    It's out in the US and says less than 150mb. Downloading now! What a great early surprise now I can play this till midnight instead of waiting for it to release lol

Update: ok must be an error on the App Store after the install its just under 1gb

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    ...What about part 1 and 2 on iPod?

10. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    Those are by a different developer and were made several years ago - I'd guess the chance of those hitting iOS is super slim.

11. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    That's what I was wondering... Why only release part 3 and NOT 1 & 2?

12. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    People that did the first ones didn't do this game but I believe helped with the writing

13. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    Tycho from Penny Arcade was the main writer on all three games, if I remember correctly. I don't think Hothead Games worked in any capacity on the third game - it was all Zeboyd Games (and subsequently Tinkerhouse for the iOS port).

14. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Oh I thought I read a preview or watched the review I think they said tycho helped not sure though. I love the first 2 with the narator but I really want the game but does it come close to the first 2?

15. thesmashingone

thesmashingone Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    That is correct. Probably one of the reasons why this only game was released is probably because of Cthulhu Saves the World. CStW was originally developed by Zeboyd Games, then ported by Tinkerhouse to iOS. I guess Tinkerhouse and Zeboyd decided to team up again for this new port, which was previously developed by Zeboyd Games for XBLIG.

16. Vtec51O

Vtec51O Member

Dec 16, 2010
    No cloud saves?? T_T

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

You, sir, just made yourself a troll with your first post.

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #38 Vovin, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    I instantly smashed that buy button hard.

But I wonder... I'm not sure, but vaguely remember that Mr Hodapp knows the Penny Arcade guys. So it's definately a surprise that Eli gave us no clue about the port / release of PA3. Strange, but he must have not known either - or had to keep silent.

About the size - well, that's really strange. There was the same issue with another game a few months ago, until the devs shrinked it. Oh, and Fancy Ants also inflated into a big chunk after installation. Guess everything got accidentally completely uncompressed, graphics and sound date at least. Maybe dens should check the compression routine or stuff.

19. link6616

link6616 Member

Sep 5, 2012
    For those who worry about games working well on iPad 1, it works well. Enjoying my time with it.

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Game Impressions

I'm not far into the game, and I'm fairly certain I'll tire of the combat mechanics before too long (not being at all fond of Final Fantasy-likes and their interpretation of turn-based battles), but I will say that the narrative and writing so far seems to be of a much higher quality than in Cthulhu Saves the World (or, to give leeway to the concept of personal taste and subjective interpretations, at least much more in line with my preferences), possibly thanks to the input of Krahulik and Holkins.

The comedy is actually even subtle and elegant at times, sometimes just delightfully absurd and cleverly parodic, and far less overt and blatantly in-my-face than mini-Cthulhu's annoying ravings. The dialogue is snappy and makes great use of the disparity between Gabe and Tycho's vocabularies and temperaments (though I imagine this comedic device might quickly grow tiresome if the writer's lean too heavily on it). And the overall narrative, bonkers though it might be, has an absurd appeal that Cthulhu's quest for goodness for the sake of evil quickly lost.

In short: I lol'd. Several times.