Tips for submitting app to review sites?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by eJayStudios, Apr 27, 2010.

1. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Hi,

I did quite a few mistakes releasing my game Vector Rally and one of them was submitting un-professional looking emails to review sites. None of the sites I've submitted were interested in doing a review, including TA. :(

I guess they didn't think game is worth noticing, but I believe email was to blame as well. I did royally screw up with email to TA, forgot to add link to iTunes, so send another one afterwards with apologies, but damage is done. Also didn't include link to new youtube video etc.

With tuaw site for example I have attached screenshots and later on realized they explicitly ask not to, so I guess my email went to trash straight away.

If only marketing was easy as development :(

Anyway, how to you guys present your games for review sites?

Any tips is appreciated!

2. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    #2 headcaseGames, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
    It's tough and I'm not the best at it - but generally, in my experience the best bet I have had so far is to make a very clean, professional-looking press release (PDF + some images in a zipfile) along with a brief description of the game and who you are. If you don't want to actually attach it in the email, then give them a clickable link that they can grab it from (I actually have that available on the game website as well). Short and sweet is the best. The lower-profile you are, the harder it's going to be for any of those guys to care so it's best to let the work speak for itself.

A lot of sites mention that it's helpful to have screenshots/etc (otherwise, if they do decide to go ahead and give you a review, then it's work for them to have to start digging for stuff).

It's just a case of doing your homework and seeing what everyone else has done, and doing the same thing. Work harder to try and make contacts within sites and build up any kind of relationships you can, as it will help you immensely. And always remember that, especially at the bigger sites, you are going up against a tidal wave of competition, so try to be as clean/legible/accessible as possible (and don't be shocked/particularly angry if you get ignored)

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    my tip for people submitting review requests. Please include the following:

- iTunes Link / Game Name
    - Game Description
    - Screenshots
    - Link to video

If you do that, you'll be far ahead of most of the submissions.

(eJayStudios, on a personal note. your email didn't hurt you. We took notice of your game in the forums and we tried it but weren't completely sold on it.)

arn

4. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    thank you guys for good tips!

arn, I completely understand, this game is not for everyones taste.

5. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles

Yep, this is a good list and are the basics I would also suggest for submitting to review sites.

Also, if everything you submit is in the form of a link...you won't fall victim to having your email auto-spammed/trashed. Just note in your email that you have screenshots, promo codes, etc that you'd be willing to submit to them if they are interested. This way you get your foot in the door at least :)

6. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    I send an email that looks like this, and it always seems to go pretty well. With this email, I got 5 iPhone review sites interested in doing reviews (sending it to about 80 sites). Also, with a similar email with a bit of the text changes, I got 4 android review sites to want to do reviews (sending it to about 15 android review sites).

Haven't yet got a review from TouchArcade though :D.

7. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks guys, all very good suggestions, will be very helpful for my next game!

8. AssyriaGameStudio

AssyriaGameStudio Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I think the "proffessoinal approach" is a good introduction, but if you dont hear back from them about it then send a more "human" e-mail...

Many of the reviewers I now contact I'm fairly casual with/ I bitch to them via e-mail when they beat my score when reviewing the game as a joke etc; and I think it helps create a bit of a relationship and rappore which helps you going forwards, and most of the reviewers are fairly cool to banter with.