Just finished Rolando, somewhat Dissapointed

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Monopoly, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I thought it, though very charming and well put together, was very short for the price. If Ngmoco doesnt announce downloadable levels then I will feel greatly let down by Rolando. Its a great game yes, but so so short.

You guys think downloadable levels are likely?

2. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    How many hours did it take you to complete it?

3. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    How long did it take you to beat?

4. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    I don't think so... Isn't Rolando a game that fallows a story?

Maybe they can have a Custom mode or something like that, so you can get downloadable levels.

5. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    It took me roughly three and a half hours to beat the game, but I have only gotten the speed requirement on three levels.

It's pretty short, and the last area is much, much easier than the third.

It is absolutely still worth $10, though. This game is Fun (with a capital F).

6. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    That seems pretty damn short if you ask me. Also, I thought Neil said the levels get longer as you progress through them?

7. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Blahhh... I still know about Rolando...
    Although the colourful circles are quit appealing ;)

8. polyplay

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    No, not really. The levels in the City are the longest because they require such precise movements. The last section is much more heavily puzzle-based, which I'm frankly a lot better at. I beat most of the last levels getting all the jewels and saving all the Rolandos in my first go-around. A few required some restarts, and on Twin Peaks, the third-to-last level, I lost a Rolando; I went back and saved all of them after I beat the last level.

And the last level, without revealing too much, goes pretty quickly once you figure it out.

9. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Yeah seeing this game end so soon is a tragedy. I mean it was worth the ten bucks but only barely, seeing the potential it could have and then seeing a short ass game with 36 levels pisses me off. I mean it would be so easy to have user levels and downloadable level packs like in bike or die 2, and if it had that everybody would buy it, and i would never put it down.

10. marrrr

another setback to my purchase :[

11. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    hmmm.... 36 levels for about 3 hrs. The levels must be pretty short... I knew i can't trust all those marketing talk from ngmoco. They didn't make the game afterall. I still think it is a pretty solid game (by Handcircus) and i'll definitely get it sometime, but not at $10. Ngmoco seem pretty quick to hit the price-drop button with their games. Wouldn't be surpise to find this at $5 or even cheaper soon.

Maybe like topple, it will be free. Damn, i paid for that shit! :mad:

12. jayminer

jayminer Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I think, given the price of the game, and the time the devs have had to develop the game (less than a year, right?), that 3,5 hours for a first playthrough sounds very acceptable. It's not good to fill out a game with lots of extra levels just to make it longer if there isn't enough unique stuff on those extra levels.

13. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    ^ Topple does suck. Yeah, I expect a lot more gameplay for $10. I mean, I could just buy the DizzyBee series, get my round creatures fix and still have some cash left at the same time...

14. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    3.5 hours is also very fast I think. I played it over the night it was released and the following day, and I was trying to get through it, and I think it took me longer.

arn

15. polyplay

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    My issue with the length is that there are enough unique elements to use them across more levels. Some elements (catapults, seesaws, the rolling prince, laser puzzles) are absolutely sublime and work wonderfully, but once the game is finished they seem underused.

But I must stress that I am in no way angry with ngmoco, or regret getting the game when I did. It was worth $10 when it first came out, it is still worth $10, and if/when they ever update it it will almost certainly still be worth $10. It is an experience for the iPhone/iPod Touch that simply must be had.

16. madsoul

madsoul Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    meh, you guys are asking too much from a damn cheap game. its very polished and well made. in my opinion il gladly play through all the levels more times since they are so fun and good. the presentation and gameplay makes up for only 36 levels. no big deal. and if we are lucky there might be more levels later, who knows.

17. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    I agree.
    Then,the downloadable levels,NGmoco NEVER planned this feature.
    They have a big banner for "iSave" that is a minor feature,if they plan to add new downloadble levels surely there would be a Big Ad that says "DOWNLOADABLE LEVELS FOLKS!!!".

18. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    That's like.. 28 cents a level. Or 16p. Which is not that much. ;)

19. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    #19 istopmotion, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    It's cheaper than a movie and it's about an hour longer. I like the story so I think it's worth it. It's a pretty high quality game :)

I have to admit though, Rolando can be a little disappointing to me considering there are other games with more levels and replayability but with equal/lower prices. So, it wouldn't hurt for ngmoco to make downloadable levels like they do in Dropship... Or even user created levels available to download like on BoD2!

[Edit] After thinking about the OP finishing the game in 3.5 hours, I don't know if that's really how fast it takes to beat it if you're not trying to finish it as quickly as possible. I'm not even in the third area yet and I've been playing at least two hours, possibly more. I'm estimating that I'll get about 5 hours at the very least.

20. jeepster2982

jeepster2982 Active Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Well i bought it at release and im still on the first area, granted i dont play it very often but i also rescue all, grab all jewels and beat the clock on a level before i progress