I want a quick collection of "Yay" or "Nays" for Monkey Islands

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by XciteMe83, Aug 28, 2009.

?

Do you recommend The Secret of Monkey Island: SE?

1. Yay

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. Nay

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. XciteMe83

XciteMe83 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Hey guys sorry if "recommend this game to me" threads are unpopular here, but they shouldn't be. As a fellow gamer I trust your guys' opinions and therefore I'm just asking for friendly advice.

I can't test out Monkey Islands on the iPhone since there's no lite version and I have NEVER played the game before on PC.

The only thing stopping me from purchasing it is that it's gotten a lot of criticism for the controls, and the cursor system. I just wanted people who actually bought the game to chime in and tell me if I should plunk down $8 on a "blind" purchase. I'm hoping the control issue is just a bunch of fans of the original game who don't want to adapt to iPhone controls.

Thank you. :)

2. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    FAntastic game! My fav by far!

3. Maelick

Maelick Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Read Above
    Myrtle Beach, SC USA
    Ya, I loved it on pc And when it came out on iPhone I played it again and still adored the game. Didn't regret spending the money for it at all. Spent more the first time I got it for pc I'm sure

4. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I love these types of games but the controls on this one is awful but it does not make it not playable either. If you love storyline rich adventure games I would say go ahead and get it because the controls are a minor part of the whole game.

5. arhb

arhb Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    NYC
    The control style is necessary and playable

A lot of people have been bagging the drag your finger to move the pointer mechanic of this game. They are missing the point - having to drag your pointer around allows you to explore the complex world that Guybrush finds himself in - it wouldn't work with just point to click - because you would miss the other things in the rooms and environments that don't jump out and scream: "Click on me!"
    Yes it's old school, but so is the game. And it works.

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    One of the best, if not THE best graphical text adventures ever done. The controls for the idevice are sort of wonky which detracts from the experience, no doubt. Since I have bought it a couple of times, I have no problems recommending it, but graphical text adventures are just that. It has some action, but not the sort that makes the game. It is mostly about puzzles, and humor, and pirates!

It is the most I have spent on an idevice app, and I don't regret it. If I thought it would drop in price quickly I would hold off, but Lucas Arts were never one to quickly discount their games, so you would likely be looking at months before it dropped. Although pricing in the app store frequently does defy logic.

7. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Brilliant game!
    :D

8. XciteMe83

XciteMe83 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Wow, I wanted to say thank you to all you guys who helped and gave your input. You've helped me decide to buy the game. I LOVE story-rich adventure games and haven't played one in a long time, so it's a nice change of pace. Thank you guys!!!!! :)

9. arhb

arhb Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    NYC
    You're welcome. Watch out for the three headed monkey.

10. arc417

arc417 Well-Known Member

May 2, 2009
    ast. coach and student
    FRISCO
    monkey islands was okay i guess, but there are better apps out there

btw i think it oughtta be spelled "yea"

11. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    In terms of this genre of game, I really cannot think of a better game to recommend... :D can you give an example?