iPad mini with Retina - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ninjackid, Dec 13, 2013.

1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I've had my eye on the iPad mini since it was first released, but what held me back was the lack of Retina. Now this new model has been released, and I'm wondering if I should get it. The problem is, now I do about 60% less gaming than I used to, what with work and life and such, so when I do game, I think my 5th gen Touch is all I need for quick gaming spurts. I can pretty much do everything else on there, too. And then I don't really wanna bother with making another iTunes library and syncing all my data over to the Mini, and then having to sync game saves between devices through iCloud, but that's probably just me being lazy.

TL;DR version: Should I or should I not buy an iPad mini if I already have a 5th gen Touch that pretty much covers my needs?

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    You just answered your own question.

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The Retina iPad Mini, while technically having the same retina resolution as the iPad Air, is practically unusable. I played XCom on it and I am struggling to actually read text without squinting.

If you are getting the rMini to play iPad games, get the iAir, or try out a friend's rMini first.

It is not an issue if you just play games that do not use words, like those endless runners...

4. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Thanks, guys. Guess I'll stick with this one for a while.

5. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    The retina mini screen is technically better ppi wise than the iPad air, 326 vs 264 respectively. If the words are blurry it's a lack of retina mini optimization.

6. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Text is sharp on the rMini. They are just tiny. Also I currently have plastic lenses on my glasses and that makes it harder to see clearly compared to glass lenses.

7. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    So it's your glasses, not the iPad mini with retina display.

8. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Yes its worth it.

9. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    That is an easy misconception to arrive at. I should have added that I have no issues with using my iPhone or iPad, because text is sized correctly on those devices. The Mini takes text that is sized for a 10" display and shows it on eight inches...