Farming games that use what you harvest for other activities

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dwillmer, May 21, 2013.

1. dwillmer

dwillmer New Member

May 21, 2013
    While I do enjoy playing the simple farming games like Farmville and Hay Day, I'm looking for more out of the farming games than pretty farms and stacks of gold.

What games out there are based on the farming mechanics: plant-> harvest ->replant, but that actually use the things you harvest for something other than farming. I don't mean using wheat to make bread, because in most games you end up selling the bread for in game currency just like you do with the wheat.

For example, I know that Zombie Farm has a separate part of the game where you use the zombies you grew to fight against NPCs. I also played a game a while back where you cast spells at monsters using the plants you harvest.

What games out there do this and what is the game activity/mechanic that makes use of what is harvested from the farm?

2. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    I really like Castle Story and it's one of the few games of that type that's stayed on my device. You have a farm, but it's not just that - you also have crafting nodes like rocks/trees/ponds, and it has a quest/mission setup that makes things actually matter.

To give you an example, I have to upgrade a building, for which I need wood, sap, and water. Easy enough to get the simple stuff in the beginning, but I also need the same stuff to build other things for other quests, and it gets more detailed later in the game.

To give another example: I can send my "knights" on "quests" - quotes because they're not actually characters so much as a game mechanic - but they need food for that, so I have to farm the crop, turn it into flour/bread, then use fish & corn for another part of the meal and then combine them for the food dish. Then they go out & bring materials/gold/exp back.

However, downsides: it has one of those annoying "energy" mechanics, so you can only do so much in a given time. In the beginning especially, it'll feel kind of boring and grindy, but I don't think it took too long for the game to get interesting for me.

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for, but it's free and I can vouch for it, so worth a shot. :)

3. retrogamer83

retrogamer83 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Also maybe give Puzzle Craft a try.

4. dwillmer

dwillmer New Member

May 21, 2013
    I guess I'm more interested in games where you are playing two game modes in a sense. One is the farming game where you farm and harvest to get supplies for the other mode. You then can do whatever (dungeon exploration, combat, etc) in the other mode that actively uses the resources you gathered in the farming mode. It sounds like Castle Story is still all about gathering and combining resources that really just is gathered to gain gold to buy more stuff. By sending your knights on a quest, its basically just adding a little complexity (and taking game play out of your hands) to return with gold/experience or even more materials.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    +1 to this. Puzzle Craft is a clever mashup between a town-building strategy game and match-3 game, and it does it too well. Resources dont go to money either. They go to other resources, buildings, professions and other stuff.