Where is Fallout and Oblivion type of games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Amenbrother, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    If we can have big open world GTA games why cant we get the other type of games like Fallout and Oblivion? Lack of desire from the developers or hardware still isnt there? I am not saying Skyrim or anything like that but the previous installments of those series of games should be doable no?

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Well Ravensword is gonna be the closest thing to Oblivion or Skyrim. Then The Shadow Sun is also releasing before the end of the year.

3. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    I know and love Ravensword but I actually mean Fallout and Oblivion, wish those would be ported over for us.

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I don't think we will see any of the newer entries, but we can hope that they would bring the first two FallOuts (or even Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel) and the earlier Elderscroll games to iOS devices, if they were so inclined. Morrowind could probably run on iPad and I would love to have Daggerfall or Arena on the to!

5. Bleau

Bleau Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2013
    One half of MoWOW Studios, an mobile indie game st
    Koblenz, Germany
    Well, actually, here are the Fallout 3 minimum requirements:
    Windows XP/Vista
    1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
    2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)

And here are the iPad retina specs:
    A7 chip with 64-bit architecture = 1.3GHz dual-core processor
    PowerVR G6430 GPU that supports OpenGL ES version 3.0
    1Gb of DDR3 RAM memory
    2048-by-1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

When you also take into account that the A7 processor can handle up to 4GB of RAM, and that the latest XCOM has already been ported to the iPad, I say it's only a matter of time and them believing they can make a reasonable profit.

I personally see the iPad or something similar to the iPad + controller becoming the new console. Just add a powerful wi-fi card and software to support 4/6 multiplayer and we all set :)

6. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Well I guess its more of a profit or not type of thing for the devs of games like Fallout series and Elder Scrolls.

7. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Hmmm... Daggerfall. Memories of adventure and nausea flooding in.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I really thought you guys were talking about Fallout 1 and 2.

9. Bleau

Bleau Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2013
    One half of MoWOW Studios, an mobile indie game st
    Koblenz, Germany
    We are Exact-Psience. I would pay handsomely to play Fallout on my tablet and be able to just try out all the speech and quest variations. I was simply pointing out that the latest iPad actually could support even Fallout 3. So it is not a matter of performance, but a matter of the devs/companies wanting to port the game :)

Fallout is an instabuy for me if it ever comes to iPad. Just curious, can it be played if you have a jailbroken device? I.E. emulator?

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Bethesda, rights holders of Fallout and Elder Scrolls, does not have a presence on App Store.

Bethesda shares a parent company, ZeniMax Media, with ID Software since 2009. ID Software has several iOS releases includING Doom Classic and Doom ResuRrection. ID Software iOS titles originated around 2009 and no NEW titles have been released since ZeniMax acquisition suggesting to me that ZeniMax isn't likely to target iOS, even though there's an obvious demand. However, Doom Classic has been updated twice - most recently in November 2013 so someone in that company tree has put work into iOS games.

11. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    Honestly, I would LOVE to have those two ported over!

12. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Fallout 2 has been a dream of mine for a while now
    Would seriously love it on ios (although i suspect even if it was ported, it would have problems with apples bizarre censorship rules)

13. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Imo games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion would just suck with touch controls.

I love Bethesda games and if any of their games came to ios I'd want it to be imo the best of the lot 'Morrowind' but again, I suspect it would suck with touch controls like all the ios fps games do.

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Aren't there Windows based smart phones that allow limited PC games to run on them. Curiously I wonder about that possibility with the Fallout games, since they're older (at least 1+2) like someone said tech specs shouldn't be an issue.

15. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010

Yes, it can handle it. What it cant handle is the 2GB limitation. FallOut 3 cant fit in just 2GB. Thats a bg reason. But I wish for it to arrive some day.

16. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    I've bought fallout 1,2 and tactics not only when they released but 4 or five times after that and I would happily pay 15 each for ios versions.

17. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Well I think it would work perfectly, look at Ravensword Shadowlands for example!

18. HungarianUrinalCakes

HungarianUrinalCakes Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Didn't Bethesda file for copyright for either Arena or Daggerfall earlier this year? I thought there was some speculation that it would be headed to iOS at some point.

Aside from those two, I think Morrowind would make a nice fit on iOS and would love to see it, but nothing newer. As well as Fallout 1 and 2 since I've never gotten a chance to actually play them.

19. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Arena and Daggerfall have been available as free PC (maybe Mac) downloads for some time. Before notice of copyright here, I did't think Bethesda saw those as commercially viable.

20. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Man I think Oblivion is doable! Maybe just not the expansions with it.