Meteorfall - Roguelike deck builder

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by slothwerks, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LANCEtheLAW

LANCEtheLAW Active Member

Oct 4, 2012
  2. applecat500

applecat500 Active Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Is there still an opportunity for playtesting? All I do (on my job) is play CCG (DQ, Lost Portal, Card Nights 2, Age of Rivals etc) but I'm often dissatisfied with balance problems/QOL aspects, and this looks to have tons of potential

3. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Unfortunately, not at this time - I'm actually wrapping up development at the moment.

The good news is that it will be available Jan 25th, so it should be widely available then! I forget if I mentioned the price, but after talking to my publisher, we agreed on a price of $2.99. I do plan to support the game after launch with new characters / cards based on feedback I get. Really excited to get this to you guys soon!

4. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Really looking forward to the release :) good luck with final weeks!

5. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    I’ve been beta testin this since the start - by far, the best quick play card game on iOS. IMO it beats Card Crawl and Card Thief hands down. Really fun to play, simple CCG mechanics but very deep strategy, varying play styles, with 4 different classes, character stat improvements and card upgrades. Don’t let the first impression fool you, there’s so much more to this game than first meets the eye - it seems basic but it really isn’t. And the swipe mechanic just works - and is sooo addictive! 5 stars from me.

6. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Congrats on the upcoming release. Was a great game to beta test and I appreciate the opportunity!!!

Good luck on launch!

7. gon52

gon52 Member

Oct 22, 2014
    #167 gon52, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    To beta testers, or dev, have any of you played or seen "Slay the Spire" for PC? Is this game similar/comparable to that at all?
    Really hoping for something similar for mobile and this is my best hope yet...! Either way, can hardly wait. Looks really good!

8. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    Getting excited for the release of this...

9. applecat500

Aug 17, 2017
    just get the OG best ios game ever, Dream Quest, if you're looking for something similar yet infinitely better :p

10. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

It's kinda like Slay the Spire. I would say that if you haven't played Dream Quest, that one is definitely more similar to Slay the Spire than this one. Meteorfall is a streamlined version of both of those. It trades some of the complexity for a more streamlined experience that is more suited for on-the-go gameplay. In this case, complexity is not necessarily a bad thing - I also enjoy DQ and StS precisely because they're more complex. The number of cards, build variety for characters, etc... in the other 2 games is definitely higher than in Meteorfall. There's frankly 'more to do'. That said, one of the core design goals for Meteorfall was to capture the essence of what makes those games fun and to distill down into something that's easier to play one-handed, while walking, in 15 minute breaks at work. I think it does an excellent job of that, relative to the other two.

Personally, I'd recommend buying all of them :p If you like any of those games, I think you'll like the others, and it's still a pretty unique 'genre'

11. LANCEtheLAW

LANCEtheLAW Active Member

Oct 4, 2012
  12. applecat500

Aug 17, 2017
    after reading impressions & watching gameplay, I'm scared this game lacks difficulty and depth, instead focusing on charming graphics (so the antithesis to Dream Quest) - I hated Card Crawl and Soltairica for their simplicity, how does this compare?

13. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

There's definitely difficulty and depth to Meteorfall. I've actually yet to beat it with some of the characters myself (though testers certainly have!) In terms of depth, I'd say there are two levels - there's the tactical decision of 'should I play this card or wait for something better' during battle and there's the more strategic decisions about deck building that occur outside of battle (eg: "should I add this card to my deck?") I think both levels have interesting decisions to make.

To your point, one critique I've gotten from some testers and other game designers is they felt that the Reigns style 'swipe left/swipe right' didn't offer the depth they were looking for in combat. I'm actually fine with that. I'll freely admit that it's not as deep as Dream Quest, but it really wasn't meant to be. Dream Quest is a great game and I still have it on my iPad years later. Meteorfall is neither as deep nor as difficult as Dream Quest, but it is more accessible in a way that I think is still genuine to the formula that Dream Quest created. I do feel that it scratches a similar itch and that players that enjoyed DQ will also enjoy Meteorfall.

I will say though that if you didn't enjoy Card Crawl / Solitarica, it's possible Meteorfall isn't for you. Those games are obviously different than Meteorfall, but I'd say the scope of Meteorfall is more in line with those two games. I'd argue that it's more difficult than Card Crawl and maybe on par with Solitarica. Card Crawl IMO is a fairly easy game but that people enjoy high score chasing there. Meteorfall has more in common with Solitarica, in that there is more of an adventure / character building aspect.

Long-winded response but hope that helps! I've done by best to give an honest answer about the game, since I know you have a lot of choices about which games to buy and there's a lot of great games out there. Worst case, you can always buy it and then refund it if you don't end up liking it - I won't be offended :p

14. applecat500

Aug 17, 2017
    thanks so much for the response! it's actually the most interesting upcoming release, I wouldnt say theres much coming up that seems on par.