iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Goblins, that sounds great, and I think I see the approach you've gone for with the creature power match ups.

One thing, and it's probably been covered, I assume whatever we've unlocked on iPad will be available on the iPhone? Like cards, level, and decks etc? How will this be done? (account? Or iCloud? Etc)

Can't wait as I do plenty of gaming on my phone!

2. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Just checking in

Hi Guys, hope you are all well. I still play every morning though its been a couple of months since I've found a two player game.

I've kinda mastered all the games now, the only one that still beats me half the time is Tritonia which depends entirely on what order I draw my cards in.

Looking forward to the iPhone addition and the new factions.

I agree with what someone said about items and auras, I still get them mixed up and think they'll be hard to differentiate on the iPhone.

I was wondering, is it worth considering the option of pass & play games rather than live games? The live games are great fun but often mean playing at someone else's convenience.

Hopefully when the iPhone gang join it won't be an issue as there will always be someone online to play, but it's also nice with games like Draw Something and SongPop that your games are all lined up ready for when you have a coffee break and of course an Internet connection.

But then again I guess that idea is something that would be nice for me as a player, but actually doesn't benefit the Devs in any way.

Anyway, I was just thinking out loud.

Oh yeah, and on the win screen, the picture of the Barkskin card....the lips REALLY creep me out lol. They look like they are just clipped out of some magazine and glued on. I hate them. :D

3. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Hey curious cat, nice to see you are still around ;)
    When do you play in the mornings? Maybe I can wrap my schedule around it.
    Tritonia is a bit nasty with all the Aquamancers it dishes out.
    Other than that, I don't see anything particularly challenging there, at least not for my current favorite deck.
    Mind posting your deck(s) here, or send them to me (you should still have my email address) ? I can give it a shot then and see if I can find potential for improvement.

4. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Blood fire Peaks

Forgot to say, blood fire peaks has water and fire elements, then there's a load of random dragons in there.

5. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Lol yeah I still play mornings, we should arrange a gmt time to meet up, I can do anytime.

Those aquamancers are the worst aren't they! I find the only way to deal is to get them taken under or lost ASAP (even though it seems like a waste to use your cards on something of low level). Other than that the darkling assassins get rid of them when they are still fresh.

I find the traps that tritonia uses are a pain, although I can now tell if its a -2 damage flame spike or the super annoying lost at sea by how many of the stars go when they lay the trap.

If just one star goes down then you know you can lay something with more than 2 health and it will survive, if three stars go when they lay the trap, I know to make my next card a cheap one as its gonna get washed away. I keep a stock of rats for that reason.

I can't show you my deck if we are going to play, you'll just use the information to outwit me lmao.

6. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    I just asked our Goblin engineer about this. It will use iCloud to store your cards, so yes, the same ones will be available for use on any device.
    I believe the first time you run the new version of Spellcraft it sends a copy of all yours cards to the cloud.

The iPhone version is working well, but the card font is just too small, so we will have to choose another!

Regards
    Steve @ ThreeGoblins

7. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Sure, what is your normal playtime?
    Normally every Monday I have time from 0800h CET onwards, other days and weekend depends, but I can always try to fit my schedule to yours.

Well, that is what is so deceptive about the Aquamancers: yes, they are rather cheap in mana and lowlevel, but extremely dangerous, especially when there is more than one. I give them a high threat value normally, so using a "higher value" card against them is quite justified for me.
    Lost or Taking Under work, as does any quick minion that can kill them outright.
    And against the traps, just like you said: use a card you won't miss, e.g. 0 cost ones.
    You did notice that one minion triggers all laid traps?

As for your deck: I can just take notes of what I see when we play against each other, and see what I end up with ;)

8. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Some more cards from the very swampy undead faction :

Ancient Ghost 1/2 Minion with Elusive and Combat damage immunity. It also cannot be blocked, so drifts right through enemy forces...

Undead Tritons 2/2 Minion that, when played, inflicts a -1/-1 penalty to an Ocean minion/barrier opposite it.

Undead Giant a large Minion that throws dead bodies at your opponent.

Waiting Grave a Trap that kills the next minion to enter play, including your own.

Dark Secrets an Item that lets you draw a card for zero power but for a loss of 1 life

Dreadmarsh Plague an Aura that wanders randomly each turn, doing 1 damage to all on its path.

Mortality an Aura that causes both players to lose 1 life each turn.

Steve @ ThreeGoblins

The link below shows Vampire Consort and Necromages, as well as revised art for some Underworld cards

http://www.spellcraft-ccg.com/card-gallery.html

P.S. Pass and Play would need a major overhaul so isn't 'on the cards' anytime soon. Sorry.

9. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    P.S. Pass and Play would need a major overhaul so isn't 'on the cards' anytime soon. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I thought that would be the case. Shame. I got my first game request for months today, I was in the middle of washing my hair and went galloping down to grab my iPad but they had gone by time I got there :(

Sheinfell, send me a req whenever you like and I'll be about I'm sure.

10. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Yeah I thought that would be the case. Shame. I got my first game request for months today, I was in the middle of washing my hair and went galloping down to grab my iPad but they had gone by time I got there :(

Sheinfell, send me a req whenever you like and I'll be about I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

Ouch.
    Well, the iPhone release should bring you plenty more victims..err..players :)
    There are of course a whole load more iPhones out there than iPads and it's been the most popular request.

11. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    @Cat: I tried this morning, around 8:30h CET - so maybe I was the one who disturbed your hairstyling routine :p - but all I got was an immediate "failed" message from Gamecenter.
    Tell me a time for the weekend or Monday, and I will try my best to be online.
    And just in case you don't see anything from me then, send me an invite.

12. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Sorry Sheinf, you caught me in the middle of reorganising my decks so I tried to switch deck and the game cancelled.

I've tried to send you invites and it just ALWAYS says invitation failed, the game centre is ruining the game.

During my reorganising, I found you can rename your different decks by tapping on 'another deck'....maybe that is really obvious but I never knew.

Also, I've been experimenting with Tritonia AI and figured my cards were all too powerful, so I switched them to a load of 2&3 cost items and get almost 100% success.

I want to play online, is game centre REALLY the only option??!

13. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Gamecenter acting odd?

So the curious Cat and I finally managed to meet up for a game.

Halfway through she suddenly dropped out.
    After that, when I tried to send her an invite, I got the "failed" message again.
    Next we tried automatch, and after 2 minutes or so in status "Connecting" , she disappeared and I was back to the automatch selection screen.
    This had happened a few days ago already with some random player I got via automatch.

Does anyone know if Gamecenter is having problems connecting players?
    The only thing that changed on my side is that I updated to iOS 6.1 .

@Goblins: any idea what is going on?
    And if you need someone for testing, I am still off the next week, so I should have time. Just let me know a few hours in advance, so I can plan a bit.

14. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    No worries ;) Was fun playing again, even if it was a short one.
    And yes, unless the Goblins setup their own server, Gamecenter is the only option, unfortunately.

See my post above, no idea what is currently going on with GC.

As for renaming decks: I just tried that at some point. Seemed quite obvious for me, that on a touch interface you just touch the name you want to change (other games use the same mechanics). But it might still be a good idea to include that in the help.

And interesting to see that you seem to use a completely different approach than I do for battling the AI.

I have to hop again, but maybe we can manage another round or two later today or some other day.

15. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    I just messaged this information to the tech Goblin. Does sound like GC playing up though.....

Will keep you informed of anything relevant.

Regards
    Steve @ ThreeGoblins

16. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #216 Sheinfell, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    Damn, I really hate it when Safari eats up my almost done post. Ok, again...

Steve, your tech Goblin might be interested in this.

I googled around a bit, and it seems that the problem is only on iOS6 devices, because the handler "authenticateWithCompletionHandler" is deprecated now, and replaced with "authenticateHandler".
    See for example here, this one also includes sample code for iOS version check:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12612643/ios-6-game-center-crash-on-authentication

Here is something similar on Apple's forums, the last post on the page contains a link to a developer reference:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4330324?start=0&tstart=0

And while I really appreciate your superfast reply, you don't need to check for customer input on weekends ;) Even I don't do that...

EDIT:
    Almost forgot that: I also found somewhere that GC now natively supports asynchronous multiplayer. So if you ever want to add that, it seems to have gotten a bit easier.

UPDATE:
    I googled around a bit more (search for "gamecenter invite failed"), and found this:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13091438/game-center-invites-failing-from-ipad-to-itouch
    The poster writes that he has the same issue with his app, only from iOS6 iPad to iOS5 iPod.

Unfortunately I did not find a solution in the 30 minutes or so I spent searching and reading. Several people seem to have this problem, but I did not see a fix/workaround yet.

@Lechatcurieux: What iOS version do you use? As we do not have an iPod version yet, the problem is most likely linked to the iOS versions we use.

17. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    I'm version 6.0.1, I always do the updates as soon as they are out.

But honestly, even when the game centre is working, lets be honest it's still really poor. The connection time is slow, you have no way of communicating with the other player, it's just poor in general.

I have zero interest in using game centre or any of the games in there, I only have it for spellcraft because I haven't a choice in the matter.

I'm not technical, but maybe the goblins having their own server, hopfully funded by the extra income from the iPhone players, is the way forward. It needs to be easy for people to play.

I wasn't aware you needed people to help test, if its ever the case then I'm based in UK and available any time.

PS that damn crash made me drop another place in the leader boards lol. I'd claw my way right up there if I could only get the games!!

18. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    PS achievements of collect 30+ cards from underworld/Fire/Forest cards, it only works if you buy the booster packs. I've bought more than 30 cards but individually and didn't get the achievements.

No biggie, just a mention x

19. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    #219 Steve at ThreeGoblins, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    Game Center is the bane of our lives too...or is it iCloud :rolleyes:

The only alternative, as you said, would be to get our own server, but that's a big investment and since we make next-to-no money on the game, as that was not our objective, not something for the foreseeable.

For developers GC does do some of the work for you too, which is nice.

Oddly enough a lot of people do like GC as its a place they can use as a central record of all games and opponents.

Anyway, we expect the iPhone version to start pulling in more players. I've been on the beta tests on several CCGs and they all shared one common aspect : slow build up.

Cheers
    Steve @ ThreeGoblins

20. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Yep, it's already been fixed for the new version a while back, so I'm told

Cheers
    Steve @ ThreeGoblins