Shadow Era: tips, strategy, metagame, decks.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by eev, Feb 24, 2011.

1. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #1 eev, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    I know there is forum on Shadow Era website. but not everyone want to register and visit several forums and more important, TA has more users.

2. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #2 eev, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    Here is some comparison of heroes of the same class for people who don't have any tcg experience. should help with the choice of Heroes.

Human Hero – Warrior
    Boris Skullcrusher (4 - Destroy target ally with cost 4 or less) and Amber Rain (Dual Wield: Amber Rain can equip 2 weapons).
    So far Boris is far more superior because simply there in no weapons for Humans at this moment and overall ability of Boris is good.

Human Hero – Hunter
    Victor Heartstriker (Victor Heartstriker does +2 damage with a bow) and Gwenneth Truesight (Gwenneth Truesight does double damage with a bow against exhausted opponents).
    Again there is no weapons atm, but so far Victor looks much more superior because possibility to deal +2 dmg to opponent and to attacking allies is great. Gweneth ability is kinda meh and situational.

Human Hero – Mage
    Nishaven (5 - Plasma blast deals 4 damage to all allies) and Eladwen Frostimer (3 - Ice shard deals 4 damage to target ally).
    Both heroes have very good abilities but have their strength in different decks. If you rely only on poison and fire enchantments, burn, fog, pacifism and damage from empty deck – the best choice is Nishaven, because he can deal very easily with agro decks. Wrath of God effect is always welcome in such type of decks. Eladwen Frostmire is better choice for burn decks with decent amount of creatures. He helps you to deal with opponents creatures and does not destroy your own, as Nishaven deck.

Human Hero - Priest
    Jericho Spellbane (3 - Remove all attached effects from target) and Zhanna Mist (3 - Zhanna heals 3 damage)
    Overall both heroes have nice abilities, but taking in account the matchups, Zhanna is more preferable because of Zaladar and Banebow.

Shadow Hero – Warrior
    Ter Adun (4 - Destroy target item) and Logan Stonebreaker (4 - Destroy target damaged ally).
    Ter Adun has superior ability just because it can deal with some abilities. Why would Warrior deck like to play Logan – I don’t know. The only threats are probably Aeon and Raven – not much.

Shadow Hero – Mage
    Majiya (2 - Draw a Card) and Gravebone (2 - Return the last friendly ally killed back to your hand).
    Both heroes are very good, they generate CA. The choice is simple, you play many good creatures – you play with Gravebone (excellent with Beladonna, but a little bit situational), u play more damage spells and effects – you play Majiya.

Shadow Hero – Wulven
    Darkclaw (All melee damage to Darkclaw is halved) and Moonstalker (3 - Moonstalker is hidden and cannot be targeted until your next turn).
    The choice is very easy. Moonstalker is one of the best Heroes. He has decent body, very good and cheap ability which can save you several turns in the late game, and gives the possibility to turn over the game. Darkclaw is meh, he does nothing vs burn decks.

3. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #3 eev, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    Good list for Eladwen Frostmire. 32 cards.

Midrange RG
    ----------------------------
    1 Eladwen Frostmire

Creatures
    4 Sandra Trueblade.
    4 Blake Windrunner.
    2 Raven Wildheart.
    2 Aeon Stromcaller.
    2 Aldon the Brave
    1 Jasmine Rosecult

Abilities
    4 Fireball.
    4 Lightning strike.
    1 Supernova.

Items
    4 Research.
    3 Portal.
    ----------------------------

if matchups are usually vs agro decks, then following cards can be added.
    4 Rain Delay
    4 Arcane Burst

The idea of the deck is simple, it’s basically kind of slow RG deck, with best creatures and best burn, with some spells which should help in matchups vs Wulven and Warriors. Eladwen just cleans the road to the enemy.

4. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #4 eev, Feb 24, 2011
    Sample deck list for Moonstalker. 45 cards.

Lazy Moonstalker
    -------------------------------
    1 Moonstalker

Creatures
    4 Infernal Gargoyle. Decent body for 3 mana, nice ability.
    2 Plasma Behemoth. Very good ability for late game.
    4 Belladonna. Decent body for 4 mana with draw a card. very nice.
    2 Bad Wolf. Decent beatstick with nice body for 3 mana. However in many matchups Gargoyle is more preferable.

Spells
    4 Captured Prey. Can deal with any creature in the game.
    4 Now You’re Mine.
    4 What Big Teeth.
    4 Regeneration. You start basically with +16 life points and this card can easily deal with fire and poison.
    2 Rabid Bite. A little bit expensive but it’s fog effect with situational removal.
    2 Lone Wolf.
    4 Here Be Monsters. Mana denial.
    4 Rain Delay.
    2 Bazaar.
    2 Bad Santa.
    -------------------------------

The strategy is simple. You have enough removal, pacifism and fog effects. Enough lifegain in order to easily win vs Mages and to have good matchup vs Zaladar. You can stall the game and win because of Regeneration, Lone Wolfs and What Big Teeth.

5. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Good decks, look for the AI opponents to be using these soon :D

6. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Thanks for creating this thread. I haven't played enough of the game to contribute anything yet, but Shadow Era definitely deserves its own strategy thread.

7. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #7 eev, Feb 24, 2011
    evil Kyle :D

and also many players! ;)

anyone feel free to post your decks, i will link them in the first post!

8. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Are you sure about this? I think poison and fire are status effects that be cleaned with the werewolf heal (still too new to this to remember actual card names), but not items that can be destroyed with this ability. Against the AI he never destroys them (and btw it's probably the easiest hero to play against). Given that I think Logan Stormbreaker is better (though still not very good).

About your decks I find it interesting that you're going with a 45 card count. Usually in TCG you want the lowest number of cards possible in order to increase the chance of drawing the good cards and avoid diluting them. However since you have to sacrifice cards to get resources and you start taking damage after you run out, the smallest possible deck might not be optimal. This makes deck size a variable to be considered in deck building, which is normally not the case in other TCG. I like that.

How did you settle for 45 cards? Since I just started out I'm using a very slightly tweaked starting 30 card deck and have run out of cards already once (which cost me the game btw).

9. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Great thread, some helpful tips here! Hope it gets regularly updated by the community, this game is special.

10. crazygambit

Nov 15, 2010
    I'm using an Eladwen deck and the first card I bought was the guy that adds +1 to the attack of all your allies during your turn. It says unique so I ussume you can only have 1, but I think it's a must in this deck. Only 400G too.

11. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #11 eev, Feb 24, 2011
    touche. you are right, gonna change it, thanks!

yep, in mtg it's of course the point, but here with recource system is a bit different. i still tried to keep some cards as one or two in a deck. i also like this part of the game, u have to find the proper size of the deck in order to avoid damage when you run out and at the same time to keep as less filler cards as possible.

well, i played versus AI and have got 100 crystals and also 5 bucks iap. got 3 precons and sold all not needed cards, so it was enough to buy all expensive cards for both decks.

12. crazygambit

Nov 15, 2010
    No, I meant how did you decide on the 45 card number? (why not 40 or 50?). I'm thinking optimal deck size might also be heavily dependant on the hero you're using.

13. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #13 eev, Feb 24, 2011
    yep, i just have not tested it yet. in warrior decks he should be very good.

well, constantly increased the size of a deck and with about 45 cards the milling seems to be no problem, so no sense to increase the number of cards now. but sure, with addition of new cards and change of matchups this can be changed.

14. crazygambit

Nov 15, 2010
    The ability also works on himself, so he's like a 3/4 beast for 3 mana and an extremely useful ability. It's a no brainer IMO.

15. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #15 eev, Feb 24, 2011
    yes, excellent 3cc creature. and those decks need some tweaking anyway so post your decks too. ;)

16. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Can anyone recommend a good elemental deck? I really want to use Zaladar because I think he is probably one of the best heroes in the game.

17. ilStugots

ilStugots Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Can someone post definitions of the different types of decks people are talking about? For example, what is meant by an "agro deck" or a "burn deck"?

18. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    Agro deck - is a deck which relies on creatures as source of damage, so a deck which consist mostly of efficient low costing creature cards.

Burn deck - is a deck which relies almost only on low costing direct damage spells.

19. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    For Zaladar deck i would say such build is ok to start with. 30 cards, because this deck does not need more.

RDW
    --------------------
    1 Zaladar
    4 Brutalis
    4 Fire Snake
    4 Spark
    4 Shard of Power
    4 Bloodlust
    4 Bad Santa
    2 Extra Sharp
    3 Keldor
    --------------------
    + maybe some of those cards, but needs testing

2 Eternal Renewal
    4 Here be monsters

so basically it's pure agro deck with burn support from Hero, looks very powerful.

20. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    #20 TotallyImba, Feb 24, 2011
    Thanks eev, can you explain to me how you put logic into your decks?

I used to play Yugioh when I was younger and I remember I used to just throw in random creature cards into my deck and had no structure to my deck. But once I continued playing I understood how different cards could link into each other.

Its obvious that you know what your talking about with the cards and I am just interested how you come up with these decks so I can perhaps learn this knowledge?