Verticus (universal) - $1.99 -> $0.99 -> NOW FREE!

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by andsoitgoes, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Yeah, I would like tilt too for sure.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm predicting the exact same thing, here goes.

Oh, and this was the most obvious freebie I've ever called. Said it as soon as I saw the pre-release trailer and... here we are.

3. Lance_TA

Lance_TA Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    now its the time :cool:

4. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Yeah, we've hit the limit pretty much. Just wait for full alternate reality games, and holographics games!

5. EnterNexus

EnterNexus Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Ahh, goddamn. I guess i shouldn't have been so excited and bought it when it was launched. Still a fun game.

6. try2bcool

try2bcool Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2012
    Stan Lee chattering constantly while I was watching Sanuku's gameplay vid was enough to make me not want to play it.

7. Is that his real voice or a clever fill in?

8. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Same here. It didn't help either that a 40-something MB game exploded to 200+MB.

9. SteakfryOne

SteakfryOne Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2012

Just in an attempt to get you to at least try it, there IS an option to turn the commander voice acting volume down or off. Give this game a chance.

10. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Yeah, I hate saying it, but that's pretty much how it went for me.

I'm not even sure how far I got, but it was certainly far enough. Bland, iterative, uninspired gameplay, and then I saw the store...:eek:

I wouldn't say don't try it for free though.

DBC

11. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Yep I DLd this yesterday and played it today!
    I tried, I really tried... I even used their generous monies they give at the start to upgrade a little( please withhold your laughter)
    Then I took a little looksee at the store... That really scared me and I immediately deleted.
    And so it goes a recurring theme in the App Store .

12. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Really, REALLY getting tired of this... I get that it's the way we're going, but I don't like it.

It seems every other thread these days has people discussing how bad the IAPs are in some premium title they bought. My question would be, what is the point of premium?

Further, what is the point of paying for games if you cannot effectively play them without either spending more money or grinding until the game isn't fun anymore?

It's been said many, many times before, but here we are again...

IAP = eventually free... with very few exceptions

/pointless rant

DBC

13. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I'm with ya there!
    What other hobbies could we take up that would be more rewarding and can't be exploited for the almighty dollar?!
    Come to think of it.....
    Games it will have to be for now:)

14. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Not pointless at all, its actually a good piece of truth.... how many games I deleted for that very reason... grinding is not fun at all and ruins a lot of good games... I am getting pissed at this too...

15. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I am not against grinding as a game mechanic. I am a longtime fan of Dragon Quest since the first one on NES. I've enjoyed the heck out of Extreme Road Trip 2. It is balanced such that I've been able to grind through the missions and earn without any real cash 13 or so cars in the game and all but the last achievement. This game, it totally bites in the way you earn in game currency. It also bites that the character blocks the view and sometimes it seems impossible to react quick enough in some situations.

So my view is, reward the good developers out there. If the IAP is mainly for the lazy and it doesn't interfere with the game then be cool about it. If they make the game impossible or are too much in your face about it then maybe don't even download their games when they go free.

16. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Nor am I. In fact, the game I'm playing most right now is Pocket Army. Risking unintentionally insulting Antony and Andre, the whole point of the game is grinding.

Grind, get gear, grind, get better gear, grind some more, get best gear, play, and wait for updates. That's pretty much it, but I love it.

Some of the stuff is astronomically priced, but it just feels "right" somehow. So yeah, I'm not against grinding. Of course, PA was free, so there's that.

I don't know what the answer is, but many of the games labeled premium these days are basically ftp games a month away from the inevitable price drop, and I'm not impressed.

Worse yet, we're now seeing premium games with premium price tags that include not only IAPs necessary to fully experience the game, but non-persistent IAPs as well? Uhm, yeah, no.

Good post, btw.:D

DBC

17. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
  18. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
  19. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    It says free to play at the end of the update description, has something been altered?

20. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I dunno, but it's permantantly free now, judgong by the description.

Just to add: there's a huge difference between gringding in say, Diablo 2:LOD or a Disgaea game and grinding in a casual game. On a platform with limited storage space and no way to save games to memory cards.