Bookworm or Scrabble?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Aspargusman, Jun 20, 2009.

?

Bookworm or Scrabble?

1. Scrabble

25.0%
  2. Bookworm

62.5%
  3. Neither (state why)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other (state which)

12.5%
  1. Aspargusman

Aspargusman Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    I'm trying to choose which one to buy.

2. TideTime

TideTime Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    How important is facebook connectivity to you? Scrabble has multiplayer and stats posting over facebook.

3. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookworm for me, one of the most played apps on my Touch.

Would also recommend Moxie.

4. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I like Scrabble a bit more. Bookworm has an interesting twist on the word formula, but one thing that stopped me from playing too much, was that it didn't recognize some simple four letter words. I've never had this issue with Scrabble. Plus, the Facebook thing makes it more of a win for me. :)

5. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    Since PopCap put Peggle on sale for 99 cents I wouldn't be shocked if they do the same for Bookworm eventually. Just a thought! :D

6. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Bookworm without a doubt.

7. CrashingBore

CrashingBore Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Germany
    i like both, but i prefer bookworm!
    i find myself playing it in the middle of the night when i'd be better off to bed :)

8. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Scrabble is classic, though the iDevice interface felt awkward to me. Bookworm is alright, but the format seems too rigid and restricting for my liking. WordJong is my choice game. Play at your own pace. Meet the daily challenge or challenge yourself to top your best. The choices you make early in the game affect the choices you will have later on. Speaking of choices, there are seemingly endless moves. It is just a really great concept.

9. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #9 Alichan76, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    Scrabble is very very well done. I have really no notable problems with it at all. And you can practice your other languages too (I have the international version) which makes the high price justifiable in IMO. It's smooth, nicely presented and very faithful to the board game we all know and love.

Bookworm suffers from lag during the timed mode, so much so that it is rendered unplayable for me (1G Touch). Also, the shake to shuffle feature is unresponsive to the point of frustration, which is again critical to good game play in timed mode. As timed mode is the only reason I play Bookworm, both these problems are dissapointing for me, and I somehow don't get the feeling that Popcap will be addressing these issues in the near future. Hope I'm proved wrong.

So, Scrabble is, for the reasons mentioned above, my choice.

EDIT: If you like good, no frills word games, I also highly recommend [app]Wordabble[/app]. There is a daily puzzle of the day, and if you enter, you have until midnight to find as many words as possible, and submit your results to find out how well you did against others. It has no fancy graphics or cute characters, but if that isn't a high priority, take a look.

10. 99Games

99Games Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    New Udupi, India
    WordsWorth offers the same amount of fun that BookWorm does for a lot less price. Its just $0.99. Great for people who want to enjoy a No Frills Word game on a long commute or just relax in between work for a quick game.

It offers a lot of extra features as well. For example, there are 3 different word lists to choose from. So you can choose the one you are most comfortable with. Also the latest update allows you to publish your scores on Twitter and FaceBook.

You can try out the 'Free' Lite version of the game which has the basic levels if you're not sure..but I can guarantee you that this is one App that will keep you coming back to it! :D

11. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Almost 100,000 words :D. Only reason it's not 100% is because of this bug:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlAQ_KBr56c

Ha, in the video you can see the stats were at 20,000 at the time lol.

And the solution to that bug is the game already thinks I spelled gold as a color and it won't register as a mineral :mad:

12. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Bookworm is pretty dang good. Its more of a game you play vs yourself instead of vs a computer like Scrabble. Really just depends on what kind of gameplay you're looking for. I have both and I would get Bookworm unless you plan to play vs other people, thats where Scrabble shines.

13. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Pfft. Get Scrabble AND Bookworm

14. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    60k + 3 letter words.. Holy smokes!
    Do you still play the game?

15. pirkle

pirkle Active Member

May 29, 2009
    Manager - Interactive Marketing
    Dallas, TX
    Other

Word Fu

16. iheartgames

iheartgames Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Gonna have to say Bookworm. Just a clever interface and seems a bit more "fun" overall. Scrabble is something I'd like to have actual people involved with... more of a face-to-face, social game. Fun words get spelled, people laugh, etc. Where as Bookworm has a great casual/iphone styled interface.

Just my 2 cents :D.