What are the best games out now? (For all the new iPhone owners tom).

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wikoogle, Jun 19, 2009.

1. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I'll be one of the many people who was convinced by the iPhone 3GS, by having borrowed and used my bro's iphone for a while now, and my being out of contract, to finally get the iPhone.

But I'm over an year behind in the app store.

So what are the absolute most polished, highest quality games out on the iPhone (the cheaper the better).

Are there any great games that are currently on sale right now and that I should thus pick up ASAP?

I'm particularly interested in simulation and strategy games.

Thank you for your help in advance.

2. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Welcome my friend, hope you enjoy the delights of the App store.

Heres some of my faves!

Pocket God,
    Doodle Jump,
    Aurora feint series,
    Flight Control,
    Isotope,
    Field Runners,
    Real Racing,
    AC-130 Spectre.

Livefire is the biggest upcoming one I'm looking forward to.

3. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    Harbor Master
    Scoops / Sky Burger
    Baseball Slugger

4. cheezeburger69

cheezeburger69 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Target Cart Attendant
    Dirty Stallis
    #4 cheezeburger69, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
    Don't forget Defender Chronicles! Alot of strategy involved in this Tower Defense game.

5. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Zenonia ftw

6. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    \/ My Signature :) \/

7. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Peggle
    Let's golf!
    Flight Control
    Car Jack Streets
    X2 Football 2009
    Real Racing
    Need for Speed
    Terminator Salvation

8. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Peggle
    Real Racing
    Zenonia
    The Sims 3
    Defender Chronicles
    Puzzle Quest

9. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #9 wikoogle, Jun 19, 2009
    Awesome guys. Thank you. Keep the suggestions coming.

I remember when I was browsing this forum a week earlier when I first preordered the phone, I ran into two Advance War type games that look AMAZING.

Mecha Wars AND Rogue Planet. I'm surprised neither game was mentioned. Were they not great games or something? They looked amazing.

I'm looking at stuff like that.

Also surprised that no one recommended Sim City, Spore or Oregan Trail. Are those not good games or something? Like I said, I really love strategy games so I was kind of interested in those too

10. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    I heard Oregon Trail was bad, Spore was just plain bad and I can't say much about Sim City. Rogue Planet's not released yet and Mecho wars is pretty good. You might want to try Uniwars, it's a pretty good strategy game, similar to advance war.

11. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    Drop 7, Sway, KarmaStar, Eliss and Zen Bound are all worth checking out (didn't see those mentioned).

12. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    F.A.S.T. Fleet Air Superiority Training (a jet fighter game) is excellent. It is currently on sale at £3.49 and I thought it was really good, the online multiplayer is excellent, we just need more people online.

13. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Edge gets my vote.

14. dacool561

dacool561 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
  15. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I would highly reccommend Let's Golf! (on sale $0.99)

It doesn't matter if you don't like golf, even if you HATE it, I guarantee you that you will LOVE this game.

16. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Drop 7, Trism, Moxie, Bookworm, Paper Toss, Harbour Master, Rise of Atlantis.

17. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #17 Alichan76, Jun 19, 2009
    Mecha Wars is graphically very polished. The dev will be adding unit stats info soon, which will make it a good purchase all round. I hope he sorts out being able to skip things though other than the existing battle scenes.
    Rogue Planet is still in development. I'm looking forward to it too, although I hope the English localization will be better than his first offering with 1112.
    Sim City was (and still is I think) very buggy. It really doesn't lend itself well to the small screen on the iDevice either. Frustrating and fiddly.
    Spore was, again, graphically very polished, but lacked any depth what-so-ever. Avoid unless you like to stare at pretty graphics only.
    Unfortunately I can't comment on Oregan Trail, although I have heard that it is a poor implementation of the computer game.

Another good TBS is Uniwars. Whilst lacking in graphical polish of Mecho Wars and Rogue Planet, it does offer very comprehensive unit stat info that makes it alot of fun to play. And it's 59p!
    Also, I have recently discovered Aevum Obscurum - a medieval strategy game similar to Risk. Although I would only recommend that if you are a really hardcore gamer.
    If it's TD you are looking for, there are countless threads on them (I personally love Star Defense)...
    Pocket Tanks is the Artillery game to have at the moment. Worms is on the way too, and StarHogs: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=8429&highlight=worms

And last but not least, I would highly recommend Edge as it is back on sale now, and absolutely fantastic!

Enjoy:)

18. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    get UniWar, it is THE best game out there. Also i have been EXTREMELY enjoying Monster Pinball, it's the best pinball game ever.

19. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

I enjoy (or enjoyed, not played it in a while) SimCity. 3GS should sort out the biggest problems I had with it which were occasional lag, and cities around 500,000 people crashing (if I am right about it being due to lack of memory)

20. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009