will Square-Enix ever take the iPhone platform seriously?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by coffinfeeder, Sep 20, 2009.

1. coffinfeeder

coffinfeeder Active Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    When you think of Square on other handhled devices, they're one of the top gaming companies in their respective field. So... why is it that they keep giving us idevice owners games that are really under par compared to what they're capable of?

It would be awesome to have a new or even a port of final fantasy tactics. And a remake or new final fantasy on the iPhone would sell like hotcakes.

So this begs the question: why does square-Enix not take this platform seriously. The only reason I can even fathom is that they wouldn't be able to sell their titles for $40 USD, lime they do on the DS.

2. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    we dont know, ask them, but its most likely because the app store economy sucks horribly. The only way to sell a "premium" game is to price it at $6.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

They are taking it seriously. They're making quick games they can sell for cheap, the only thing you can do in a market where your pricing options are 99¢ or free.

4. coffinfeeder

Sep 6, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    There are plenty of premium games and companies that are making a killing selling between 6-10 USD.

Look at gameloft, having game after game on the top 10. Also, I'm sure gamevil's new game hybrid (6 USD) will sell quite a bit I'm sure. These companies are taking risks making high quality games and making plenty of profits on them because no one else is doing it.

5. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    Gameloft has been very successful in the appstore
    so has EA sort of

6. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    #6 skyye06, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    You don't seem to understand if the square enix games you want is the square enix games you know and love in console type caliber, the price would range around more of 15-20 dollars. The reason why they make these games is because it is just more efficient. Its economics...They would lose a majority of the casual audience who enjoy such quick, cheap games if they went the higher quality road while the noncheap and fans would take in. They would sell more, be more cost and time efficient. We rule what sells in the appstore and Big brands and cheap games is the agenda. Too much time is needed, and most likely they would rather spend it on the next console game which would bring them more profits.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a final fantasy type game here but they are usually not the type who slap a brand on a unfinished, unpolished game...note usually.

You probably think just because they are a big brand that everyone knows if they did put a game out then it would instantly sell well but what if by chance it didn't then it would be another epic fail in the likes of the first final fantasy movie(though it wasn't that bad imho).

They are just going the most safest possible route right now and following the appstore economy

I don't forsee one in the near future but who knows it could be in the works right now...;)

7. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

The full final fantasy game on ds could run just as good as on an iPhone. And I'm sure people would pay 15-20 because if the quality of game that was and the brand recognition

8. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    sorry if that offended the guy who posted but that was my 2 cents

Yes personally I would pay to play one but appstore is still mainly terrorized by 99c ideal yes madden was on top because of brand reconigtion but I don't think many would pay 15+ as that breaks barriers(not a bad thing at all for those who want the idevice to be a serious game system) and onslaught of " you know how many games I could get with that" statements would come.

9. coffinfeeder

Sep 6, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    All of you saying "15-20 dollars"... yes maybe they'd have trouble selling at that price point. But if they sold at a premium level (6-10 dollars), I think they'd be successful. Look at dungeon hunter and zenonia, both premium titles with lots of content. And like I said before, hybrid is pretty aweso
    e.

These games are all high quality and successful- and still a higher price point. Six to ten dollars is a realistic price point on the app store and it would be hard for any company to sell a game at 20 dollars when games such as dungeon hunter and hybrid exist for 6-7 dollars with at least equal to the same content.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

...Which is exactly why they will stick to producing quick games they can sell for cheap.

11. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    That is why they won't make one, the time to do it would be better spent in consoles in terms of profit.

12. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I am a huge FF fan and would pay a high price for a new game on here, but thats me. The closest I have found to FF is VAY, reminds me alot of FF 1 and 2, its a bit pricey but I really like it. If square wanted to release something and same some money, they have FF mobile games in japaneese they could re-do pretty fast and release.

13. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    speaking of price.... will there ever be a game in the app store that will cost more than $9.99?

14. gnetro

gnetro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Well they can port their old games like Chrono Trigger. They already earn too much on that game, I don't think they will spend 99999 GIL just to port that game on iPhone.

15. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    There are Dev's who are getting millions of hits/downloads for their games. Square has the potential to make some very polished and likable games, I am stunned that they have not simply ported one of their older FF. I mean they have ported them to EVERY other platform. Why not the idevice?

16. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Not as many as you think. The days where any old dev can throw up any crap on the Appstore (I'm looking at you Pangea) and automatically get 1 million downloads cause there was nothing better to buy are over. Square has always been conservative when it comes to releases outside of Japan.

And yeah, it sucks, cause I'd like them to put on a good RPG on the iPhone instead of the little tower defense bits.

17. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    I really want final fantasy 6 on the idevice or at least 5 ported

18. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    i can hinestly say that i woulkd pay 15 to 20 dollars for a port of ff9 or any of the ps 2 ff titles. im pretty sure the 3gs is capable of handling those games and i would think the older model idevices are to but i dunno. i would hesitate to pay so much for a port ff7 or any others before that. those seemed like they been done to death on the gba and the ds and ff8 was crap. i think ill check to see if that ff7 movie is on i tunes. if they did that at least that would be cool i guess

19. coffinfeeder

Sep 6, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    Eventually, some company (most likely gameloft) is going to make an old school RPG and it's going to be greatly successful in the app store. Then maybe square will wise up. Or maybe they'll just continue to release joke games for a quick buck.

Either way I'll be happy if they make a serious effort or not, because I'm sure some company will satisfy the void that is the classic JRPG.

20. coffinfeeder

Sep 6, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    #20 coffinfeeder, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    sry double post