Question re: in-app purchases?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GadgetGuru72, Dec 30, 2009.

1. GadgetGuru72

GadgetGuru72 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Hi everyone-

If you delete a game from your iPhone but keep it on your computer, you can always sync it again to your iPhone. Additionally, even if you delete it from your computer, you can always download it again from the App Store for free (assuming, of course, it's still available for download).

My question is this: if you make an in-app purchase and then delete the app from your iPhone, will the in-app purchases be restored if you ever put the app back on your iPhone?

The game that raised this inquiry for me is Blockoban. After reading this article:

http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/1000-blockoban-codes-going-quickly?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SlideToPlay+%28Slide+To+Play+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

... I was able to unlock the full version of the game using one of the available codes.

I don't intend to delete the game, but I was curious what would happen if I ever chose to do so.

Thanks in advance.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #2 drelbs, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    The game is required to have a "restore content" button of some kind.

So if you delete the game, you lose your DLC and saves/data/etc.

When you reinstall the game, it will be missing all of this, but you should be able to download the DLC free of charge.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, doesn't Plus+ save your game data? Or is that only for certain games? :confused:

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    When you reinstall the app again, you`ll get the full version only. It wont be lost.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've no idea how Blockoban works since it's a pretty unique method, but most games I've purchased in-app DLC from have had an option to restore the DLC, presumably for people who have reinstalled the game after deleting it. If the game doesn't have that option then I can see problems, but I'm not even sure Apple would allow apps to be released without it, if they do then they need to change a couple of rules.

Edit: okay so drelbs says it's required. Sweet.

5. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    there should be an option to restore in app purchases if you had deleted them from your device. probably in the same place where you make the purchases within the app. at least thats how it is in ramp champ.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hmm - I'm browsing through the developer guides and I'm not finding a definitive statement that the dev must provide a way to re-download, but I remember it being there in the DLC announcements Apple made some time ago...

7. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i have a question. im new to this ipod touch thing. only been using it for 3 months. i never buy my stuff from the computer i much prefer to browse from my bed or the bathroom or whatever then just buy games from the ipod.

when i go to sync up with my computer to get music or whatever, i do not see the games i bought. is there a way to transfer the games over to the itunes on the desktop? or should i always just buy my stuff from the desk top. sorry did not mean to hi jack the thread.. but sorta seem like good place to ask considering the subject.

chris.

8. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    iTunes should automatically transfer purchases you made on your iPod to your computer when you synchronize

9. GadgetGuru72

Jul 4, 2009
    Thanks for the responses.

The "regular" in-app purchase procedure seems to make sense.

I guess the only question is whether Blockoban followed the "regular" in-app purchase procedure. Since they offered 1000 codes, it seems that they've found a pretty unique way to offer the full game.

10. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    LOL drelbs on BLOCKOBAN's twitter, you're filling it up.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'm in yr Twitterz, fillin' em upz!

[​IMG]

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The replies I got were that data is not saved online right now, progress would be lost, but this would be changed in an update. Also that they would add a "restore my content" in an update. Also also that if you repurchase the full game iTunes remembers that you already purchased it and won't charge you again.

Phew! :)

13. GadgetGuru72

Jul 4, 2009
    Excellent! Thanks for all your help. This is good to know.

Like I said, the game is a lot of fun and I have no intention of deleting it, but it's good to know that if I ever delete it in the future, I will likely be able to get the full game back.

14. jptsetung

jptsetung Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    When you purchase full version of Blockoban, you send your request on iTunes servers, and even if you delete the game, you can get back your in-app purchase (if you buy it again, you'll not be charged).

But Apple is not providing a promocode system for in-app purchases. So I had to develop mine. when you unlock the full version of Blockoban with a promocode, it's not related to your iTunes account, and if you delete the game you will not be able to restore the fill version (unless you made a backup of your phone I guess).

15. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Ah, that´s good to know. I´ll better backup the Blockoban Folder in this case.

16. GadgetGuru72

Jul 4, 2009
    What about the quote above that stated that you would be adding a "restore my content" feature that would allow us to restore the full version even if we used a promo code to unlock the full version?

17. jptsetung

jptsetung Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    No you will never be able to restore promo codes because I would need to implement private username/password system to do so (I can't check your iTunes credential in my private system), and I don't want to do so (hard to do and make thins a lot heavier for using the codes).

18. psionic

psionic Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Plus+ does support this, but developers have to implement it to a very fine degree of detail. My game "Running With Scissors: Pre-Season" has it implemented, we're just waiting for the move to production servers before we resubmit to Apple for an update.

Chris. <Sleek Games>