Making a Game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Tendog, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Tendog

Tendog Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    CA
    If I wanted to make a game for the iPod, where would I start? I know it's a broad question, but I really want to start doing something to start some sort of game-making career. I'm only 14, but hearing from other people who are of or around my age that have made games that are in the App Store really inspired me.

Basically, I just want to know what programs/tools I need to make a game that could play on the iPod. Thanks.

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    #2 kohjingyu, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    You need a Mac, Xcode (from Apple's site), Interface Builder, $99 (for the iPhone Dev Program), a couple of books, and banking accounts (unless you want to make a free game).

3. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    #3 arkanigon, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    Hi Tendog!

You'll need a mac first thing... then download the sdk on your mac. It can be obtained here:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

It's free to register and download the sdk...

But once you register... you can download the sdk and begin coding on your Mac right away... but you can only run your programs on the "simulator"...

But to test on a real device, and to actually sell your apps you'll need to be in the paid developer program... ($99/year)

I hope other under-18 developers chime in here with their experience... You'll need to ask your parents to deal with tax/legal stuff/banking stuff...

Just dive right into it... Work hard... and you'll be able to do it... there will be moments when you think nothing is going to fix your program... but we all face those moments... just stick with it... and slowly but surely your skills will improve...

4. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    learn programming :D

5. The latest flash can export an iPhone app from windows. I think that's the cheapest route you've got right now, if you don't have a mac.

6. Tendog

Tendog Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    CA
    Thanks to everyone who replied. Now all I need is a mac. :(

7. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Maybe Santa will help you with that ;) If not, work hard, save your money, and before you know it you will have a new mac!

8. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Don't you still have to codesign the binary somehow with xcode though?

9. cando

cando Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    way to go kid!

10. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    1. Get a macbook or mac mini.

2. Buy books. If you never done any programming before then I'd recommended "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming" by Michael Dawson. Its only 20 bucks on Amazon.

3. If you already have some experience with computer programming then buy some cocoa and iphonesdk book(maybe someone here can suggest some good books).

4. Learn graphic API. if you never done any graphic programming before then OpenGL could be difficult and time consuming. The complexity can be demoralizing . So its best you choose some already build graphic library. I'd recommend Cocos2d for iphone.

This is the 4 big steps that I think are compusalry for anyone who want to jump into iphone game developments. Ive skipped out other small step like: learning the Mac OS, Xcode IDE,... if you never use them before, it will also take sometime to get used to.

11. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I think there are a few somewhat misguided tips in this thread. For instance: buying flash for Windows will set you back more than buying a Mac Mini and paying the yearly developer's fee.

I don't think buying a beginners book in C++ is a particularly good advice for someone eager to learn to develop for the iPhone. As Apple's APIs are mostly Objective-C (+ a few straight C) C++ seems unnecessary at this stage. Personally I would simply recommend you get Gregg Perry's "Absolute Beginner's Guide to C". This is pretty much as light a read a book about programming can be. It should help you get to know programming and if you download a free C-compiler for your PC you've spent the total sum of $25 (or so). Learn C, make a few simple command-line apps, and if you find this enjoying come back here for further advice.

Programming isn't necessarily for everyone, you might find that you take to it like a duck to water - but if you find that you do not, at least you haven't spent too much money.

12. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    well i just say whatever worked for me. the transit from c++ to objective-c isnt that hard.
    what more important is that OP can learn OOP. And i think learning OOP with c++ is easier than Objective-C.
    Again whatever I mentioned is just my personal experience, so feel free to consider other's suggestion too.

13. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

By all means, I just feel that as he want to learn how to develop for the iPhone C++ seems like a detour at this point. :)

14. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    to me c++ is always better than objective-c, hence its the better language to learn OOP with. But i guess I'm a c++ fanboy so i always suggest c++ :p
    The programming fundamental is much more important than choice of language. Once you understand whats programming is all about, learn to code with a new language is easy.
    But ur right, jump right into obj-c is probably the quickest way to start making iphone game

15. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    I agree. The fundmanetals: if/then statements... for loops... basic procedural programming... once you've got these ideas (in any language) then you can start iphone programming right away...

16. Tendog

Tendog Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    CA
    Thanks again for the recommendations, they actually mean a lot.

One big decision:

I need a computer some time of my own, and I will need to have one to start making games for the iPod. The cheapest MacBook costs $999. I just won $1000 in a contest.

Help. :(

17. #17 MindJuice, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
    I had thought the original announcement only referred to developing from Macs, but here is the word direct from the Adobe site that Windows is indeed supported:
    What operating systems are supported for authoring iPhone content using Flash?

iPhone application development will be supported on operating systems supported by Adobe Flash Professional CS5. This includes both Mac and Windows based operating systems.

Here's the FAQ link: http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Applications_for_iPhone:Developer_FAQ

Get ready for a new wave of crapps!

18. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    may the best app win!!!

19. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    correction =)

20. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    If you can find an old keyboard, mouse, and monitor you could get a mac mini, those are only $599, or look for a used macbook on ebay or something, if you go the used route make sure you get one with an intel processor, not powerpc