a little facebook help please

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Mr. 8-Bit, May 14, 2013.

1. Mr. 8-Bit

Mr. 8-Bit Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Hey everyone, so we're getting ready to release our first game but we're having a little trouble with facebook. Every time we touch the facebook button, the game launches the FB app but goes straight to the users wall, even if you just search on the FB app. Now, if you go to our FB page on your computer, you can get to the page. I created a personal account with my work email and then created a company page (don't know if that helps). can anyone help us out, it's pretty much the only thing left to fix before submitting to apple and I'm FB illiterate :confused::mad::eek:

2. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    I seem to remember the same issue with my Facebook button, think it might just be the Facebook app overrides the URL and just goes to their wall whatever.

So I bypass this in my game by launching Safari instead and going to my company fb page there, but this isn't ideal as they might not be signed in on Safari so I miss out on Likes. Am hoping someone who knows will reply to your question!

By the way you don't need a personal account to create a company page, although I remember one path does seem to suggest you might. I think linking it to a personal account is just one (permanent) option.

3. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    By the way just in case you didn't know, there's a Facebook app called 'Pages.' which is great for doing company page admin stuff on the go. (Amazed they were allowed to call it that though, even with a dot at the end)

Strangely you can't use the normal Facebook app for signing in and posting to company pages (well, you can't when they're not linked to a personal account at least).

4. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Hey,
    I assume you are talking about a like button?
    First you must get your page id, you go to http://graph.facebook.com/yourpage
    here is the code :
    NSURL *fanPageURL = [NSURL URLWithString:mad:"fb://profile/yourID"];
    //first it tries in the facebook app
    if (![[UIApplication sharedApplication] openURL: fanPageURL]) {
    //fanPageURL failed to open. Open the website in Safari instead
    NSURL *webURL = [NSURL URLWithString:mad:"https://www.facebook.com/yourpagename"];
    [[UIApplication sharedApplication] openURL: webURL];
    }

hope it helps.
    Cheers

5. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Ah thanks MrLeQuack, that solves the prob (for me at least).

I think when I tried to do this originally I just didn't have enough likes to get a page name at the time so thought it was because of that. Not using FB personally and not wanting friends to spam all their friends asking for likes [for some random new page with no content] meant it took a few weeks to build it up and get enough likes naturally. Turns out I just wasn't using the right URL, so thanks again!

6. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Yeah, you must also have a few likes for a page name, forgot about that!
    You are welcomed!

7. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Incidentally I just found out that this (apparently) is the correct URL to get the Twitter app to launch in the same way:

Code:
    [NSURL URLWithString:@"twitter://user?screen_name=YourTwitterName"]
    (not actually tested yet but will soon and report back if no joy)