Leaf Trombone: New app by Smule, demoed at the 3.0 OS preview

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by cazure, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cazure

cazure Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    (No, I'm not related to Smule; I'm a random n00b, that's all.)

So, any thoughts on Leaf Trombone? I liked the idea of duets and social music and all of that fun stuff, but the music clips sounded...whiny, and not at all pretty. Not at all. Maybe I'm biased, as a flute player, but it just sounded god-awful. Intriguing concept, but they'll need to refine the app before launch (obviously). Or maybe they've spent more time coding than playing with it, and their fake-brass-skillz aren't up to snuff, which is likely. :D

On a related note, the Ocarina doesn't support the iPod Touch 2G, even though I've got a mic! Does anyone think that Leaf Trombone will support us Touch users? I mean, so what if it's not as "authentic" of an experience? I'd still like the chance to try it myself. I'm interested in it, despite what I've said...

2. Christopher

Christopher Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    I'm a little disappointed in this latest concoction from the minds behind Ocarina. My impression was one that Smule is foremost an innovator in iPhone applications, then this... A clear derivative of their best-selling app. No doubt bound to be a hit with their brand behind it, but I wish they would have taken a risk, ventured further and developed something new. Perhaps I expected too much from them...

3. cazure

cazure Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I think that they seem very commercial, which isn't such a bad thing. From the start, I never really saw anything particularly unique from them (besdies Ocarina), but I thought that they looked like they were interested in producing nice, polished apps.

Maybe that's not a fair statement on my part...looking back, Zephyr was pretty risky/innovative. But I never did understand the lighter's appeal.

4. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    My friend has Ocarina and it is a pretty neat app. I think leaf trombone was really cool as well. They made that app in two weeks as a way to show off the new features of 3.0, and they did a great job. I don't remember how the trombone sounded now but it seemed decent at the time. I think with features like the world stage and other social sharing of music it will be another hit.

Yes it is similar to Ocarina, but they are adding some new stuff and twists. I can't wait to see how it turns out when it is released.

5. DAV!DiOT

DAV!DiOT Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2008
    guess what? OCARAINA NOW SUPPORTS iPOD TOUCH 2G!!!
    donloading now :D

6. M.W.

M.W. Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I would like it, but I don't have a mic.
    Any reccomendations for a mic?

7. cazure

cazure Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Victory! :D Thanks for the tip.

I used to have a headset from eBay--it came sealed in Apple packaging and all--but it broke last week, so I can't really recommend it. I have to get a new one...

8. DAV!DiOT

DAV!DiOT Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2008
    #8 DAV!DiOT, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
    http://www.switcheasy.com/products/ThumbTacks/ThumbTacks.php#

I personally like that design but I'm not sure if your ipod touch speaker will still work if you use it.

You could just use the new touch mode, which doesnt require a mic.

9. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    omg I saw that on engadget as well! :D

10. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    You don't need a mic to play.

11. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

you don't need a mic for itouch? wheres the air go in? 0.o

12. cazure

cazure Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    There's some kind of touch-based system. Haven't tried it yet, though.

13. cazure

cazure Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Update: Emailed them, they said that the speaker won't work when the ThumbTack is plugged in. :( Shame; it's a really cute design.

To quote:

14. whateverg

whateverg Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    It's more realistic on the iPhone

15. walker9

walker9 Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009