Push Notification problem

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jakooistra, Feb 12, 2010.

1. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Me again, now that I've fixed my UDP problems, I have an APNs problem. :(

My server is written in C#, and I've essentially lifted the code straight from here:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1056083/c-iphone-push-server/

I seem to be correctly authenticating my SSL connection with the APNs server, but when I send data to device, it doesn't get it. Which is annoying, because while I'm trying to debug, I'm also getting alerts from my Notifications app hooked up to my RSS feeds... it's like it's taunting me!

I'm definitely connecting to apple's sandbox servers, and I have development provisioning, and I've followed the device token manually through its creation on the device through to our database and push notification handling code. How many more points of failure could there be?

Anyway, has anyone else had a problem with simply not receiving push notifications before? Did you have byte order problems, developer vs. distribution certificate, bad device token, message size too large, etc...

if you've ever had any problem ever with APNs, I'd love to hear a detailed explanation of what was wrong and how you got through it.

I'm pulling my hair out over here. :(

2. Dave Sims

Dave Sims Active Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Ireland
    I upvoted your question on SO in the hopes that it'll be seen and get the right answer.

This is one of those 'is your computer plugged in' questions, but do you have notifications enabled specifically for your app under settings on your iPhone?

3. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Great to see you figured out the problem John, I can't wait for Red Conquest online multiplayer. :D

4. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    yeah, it says notifications are on globally, and specifically for Red Conquest, alerts and sounds are enabled.

I also get push notifications from the Notifications app, so I know I have the connectivity - it must be something specific to my server or app.

5. Dave Sims

Dave Sims Active Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Ireland