iPhone Small World 2 (By Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    What crunc said. Also, I am curious how they would implement this. Would there be both a Small World and a Small World 2 app and they would be equivalent? That seems like a bad idea to me as it would be confusing to potential purchasers. Why wouldn't the developers just upgrade the existing app without making a new one?

2. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    #182 Appletini, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    The phrasing on the DoW site suggests the new version will simply overwrite the old one, largely because there'll be no reason to keep the lesser-featured original around when SW2 hits, and they'll be able to keep your old expansion IAPs relevant that way.

The new version is intended to be a free upgrade if you already own the original Small World app, so there's no reason not to buy that now if you don't already have it - you'll be getting the new one either way. From DoW's KS page, I quote:

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I bought in as I'd love to see this developed more, but c'mon, would they REALLY ever make every iteration of 3-5 players a separate $1.99 charge? I find clever they very nature of this pitch is showing the very thing they DON'T want to do, so even if this pledge drive fails there is no reason to believe it would ever be this extreme.

As with other Kickstarter dealies, I'm in it for the GAME, not the physical doodads. So I was willing to commit $30 since that would get me all of the actual gameplay extras but none of the miniatures or gold plated knickknacks.

4. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I don't think anybody except the TAKJAIAPB would have taken that seriously; it's clearly exaggeration for comedic effect. :p

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    For me the only interesting part of the kickstarter is the physical stuff, but none of that comes even remotely cheap.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Well it was effective, hit me harder than the black and white "before the miracle product" scenes of an infomercial! ;)

7. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    This is *only* true if they meet the KS goal. Otherwise it will be a totally separate app.

If you read the full statement, SW2 will be releasing regardless of what happens on KS, but if KS fails it will just launch as separate app and people need to buy it again.

8. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I wonder how many existing Small World app owners that had bought all their IAP last time round will do so again?

Disclaimer: I bought Small World and all its IAPs, so I am monitoring its developments.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #189 crunc, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    I am not sure that's right. I think in reading it again that they are releasing as a 2.0 update either way. However the expansion to more than 2 players will be an IAP.

Having said that, I think this KS is going to fail. The digital rewards aren't all that compelling. The only compelling ones are the physical game bonuses, and not only are they expensive levels, but people interested in that stuff may not have any interest in an iOS game at all, due to not having an iOS device. Plus for people interested in the iOS game, it will be cheaper to just buy the app now and get the update later (if the KS succeeds). And if the KS doesn't succeed you haven't really lost anything. You could pay more for the KS and if it succeeds it means that you will have paid more than the people that didn't back the KS. If it doesn't succeed, everybody pays the same. In no way can a KS backer pay less. There are some bonuses I don't really understand, though. Maybe they are worth it (I have never played the game, so I don't know what they mean).

There's one thing that could make it succeed, and that's Android users. If they back it in the hopes of getting it on Android, that could do it, but they are taking a chance. They might end up with just an iOS version.

10. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Solid board game projects don't do too badly on KS, and I do think this will probably follow in that vein (especially given that DoW is involved), despite all the histrionic whining from heavyset neckbearded BGG-dwelling manchildren. Unfortunately, KS projects often don't draw in money linearly, so while they are pretty much at 20% basically within the first day, I agree this isn't a guarantee that they'll reach their end goal. I have a feeling they will, though.

The only reason to go in for the pledges for the digital version (other than to support the project, naturally) is if you want the three KS-exclusive digital races and powers ($30 level), but even if you don't buy those, you still get access to them if you play against anybody who did buy them.

I'm not interested in the physical rewards, personally; iOS boardgames have pretty much replaced physical ones for me, being infinitely cheaper and much more convenient in most circumstances (assuming a digital version exists, of course). On that note, I would back a KS dedicated to bringing Arkham Horror and expansions to iOS. Do it do it do it do it do it. :p

I suspect that the "mystery platform" they're currently looking at for SW2 will be Steam, given that they already have TtR there. DoW haven't been big on pursuing Android in the past, but I'm sure they'd look at expanding that way if they could be reassured that 90% of the copies people would be playing weren't going to be pirated ones.

11. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I'm one of those that bought all the expansions happily. Would I buy the potential land expansions? If they were bundled into one IAP, yes. Three separate ones, no. I'd only be interested in the 5 player map only if that were the case. My only issue I ever had with the game was the lack of land (and ultimately why I deleted despite the small file size...the small map got pretty boring after a while).

12. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    New update: If the KS hits $300k, SW2 will be coming to Android tablets and the Kindle Fire (the "mystery platforms").

13. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Wow, I'm actually really hype for this update! What I'm not too thrilled on is the kickstarter rewards. I like small world, but not enough to drop down $30 for the all-out ios version (which could probably buy my the actual board game instead). Still, good for them.

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Especially when two of the IAP (cursed and great dames) are already available in the current version. Unless the be not afraid expansion costs 19 dollars you're paying over double. You also get three kickstarter exclusive powers but that's not easy to price.

I already own the ios game so the 30 dollar tier isn't worth much since I'm only getting the expansions and is powers.

Since the 15 dollar tier is only the game and ks powers it's worthless, cause I'd only get the ks powers. I'd still have to buy the expansions at an additional cost.

I could donate 3 bucks but there is no incentive at all.

So I'm buying both of the current expansions for 2 dollars each. They get more than three bucks and I at least get something of value for it.

15. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Three new powers and three new races that are all KS-exclusive, as well as the three expansions (and any/every other expansion that gets slated for digital translation as the KS progresses).

Still not necessarily worth $30, though, especially not for people who already own Small World and the current expansions. DoW should consider also throwing in a copy of Ticket to Ride at the $30 level while they're working on winning over a new generation of iPad gamers.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
  17. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I agree. This looks worthwhile supporting now for iPad owning fans.

18. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Enough to make me buy the game in the first place :) I held off after seeing that it had basically been abandoned and no retina update, but knowing the v2 is coming and a free upgrade for existing owners (with price shifting from 6.99' to 9.99 for new purchases when v2 is released) I'm going to take the plunge.

I saw the board game version on wil wheatons game program and though it looked quite enjoyable.

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Skimming thru the new Kickstarter, it seems like as a current Small Worlds owner, I will:

Get updated to Small Worlds 2 through an App Store update on release.

Retain my two existing IAP expansions.

Be able to buy a new, Be Not Afraid, IAP expansion.

Only the Bonus Pack of 3 new races and 3 new powers will be unavailable for sale as it will be locked to KS backers.

So I am sitting this out and probably buying the Be Not Afraid expansion when it is out...

20. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Well think about it as giving them a tip for upgrading to v2.