Which RPG is a must have?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dark_Messenger, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Dark_Messenger

Dark_Messenger Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    #1 Dark_Messenger, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
    Hello.

I'm looking for a good RPG for the iphone. Which (can be more then one) counts as must-have/s?? Please write a few lines about the game/s and why its so good.

Regards
    F.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'll tell you when you learn how to spell. I promise.

3. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Haha, if Squirt Reynolds was online he'd be sending you to Typo Jail. :p

4. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    Witch?

Now please tell me! =)

5. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    Wow... what grade are you in again?

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    gg..

7. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    Lol sorry. =)

Which!

I blame at the late hour here in my country. Can we please focus on the question now.

8. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    Yes, now we can. RPGs that you must have - Zenonia, Dungeon Hunter, Hybrid: Eternal Whisper, Ravensword when it comes out, or if you want to get an average RPG for only 99 cents, Kingdom of Gorath.

9. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    ravensword

10. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    #10 Dark_Messenger, Oct 27, 2009
    Ok. Thanks. The price does not matter at all.

If you had to choose between those specified, WHICH =) would be top pick and why?

I rather just have one or two at one time and focus on those.

EDIT: I prefer games that actually exists. Not future releases. =)

11. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Hybrid sucks. Get Zenonia.

12. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    Zenonia if you like classic RPGs, Dungeon Hunter if you like great graphics and don't mind easy, linear gameplay, Hybrid: Eternal Whisper if you're really into hacking and slashing, and Kingdom of Gorath if you want a Diablo clone that's not too expensive.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The reason you are not getting a straight answer (besides the misspelling) is that it really depends what you're looking for:

If you want a JRPG or KRPG: Zenonia or Hybrid
    If you want a big, hardcore western RPG and have a fair amount of patience: The Quest
    If you want a fun, more linear western RPG: Undercroft
    If you want an action RPG in the Diablo/Untold Legends (3D top down) style: Dungeon Hunter

RPGs come in many different styles and flavors and very few people like all them. For example, around these parts you'll find people who love Hybrid and people who hate it. They're both right.

BTW. I'm beta testing Ravensword, so I can't say much about it, except for this: if you're into western RPGs, I would pick it up regardless of what else you buy -- it should compliment nicely with a hardcore RPG.

14. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    So zenonia is the "one" for iphone!?

I would love if it existed something like FF VII - X. But i guess im not that lucky??

15. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    So from your post i draw the conclusion that Hybrid and Kindom of Gorath is both diablostyle hack n slash-kind of games and the last mentioned is the worst. I kind of like diablo-games, but if i must choose ill go with the more zelda/final fantasy-types of rpg.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Sounds like you're looking for a J/K RPG. In that case, I would also check out Guardian Soul -- just make sure to choose a lower speed in the options menu (otherwise the characters will jump around like crazy).

There's also Elven Chronicles if you're looking for something like an early FF (turn based).

17. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    Thx for the long post. I think i understand what you mean and i must say that i prefer the

"If you want a JRPG or KRPG: Zenonia or Hybrid".

The J and the K, is that refering to Japanese and Korean? If it is, whats the difference?

18. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    ill help you out, dont waste ur time on Zenonia/Hybrid. sure they have good reviews, but its basically all grinding and iffy graphics. go for Dungeon Hunter, that was really fun. Underworlds is a fun dungeon-crawler RPG.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    As I understand it (I'm not a huge fan of this particular subgenre, so bear with me) Japanese RPGs are traditionally like the early Final Fantasies -- story driven, turn based, with fairly complex leveling, combat, and magic systems. Korean RPGs are also story driven, but they tend to be real-time and action/combat based (with a lot of button-mashing). Zenonia and Hybrid are both Korean; I believe that Eleven Chronicles was originally a Japanese release (though I could be wrong about that). For someone like me who grew up with western RPGs, they both seem pretty similar, but I guess I'm learning to notice the differences.

20. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    #20 Dark_Messenger, Oct 27, 2009
    Thanks. Yes turnbased rpg a la FF definetly works for me. The major thing is that i want a game that is of decent quality and not full of bugs, flaws and to ugly and feels really old. I can play old games but they need to have a certain charm and be of decent quality.

Think on FF and chrono trigger but also secret of mana and zelda if it exist games of that type. They are all old but of really good overall quality. Thats what i am looking for.

Ill check out guardian soul.

EDIT: i checked out elven chronicles and that was a sore for my eyes. Even if the game is good a cant play such a ugly game. =\