3D Portfolio - Real-time gallery for your 3D artwork on iOS/Android

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by JTown, Dec 28, 2012.

1. JTown

JTown Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Independent GameDev
    Dallas, TX
    #1 JTown, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    Hey everyone -- I wanted to share an app I made for game artists. 3D Portfolio lets you bring a 3D game art portfolio wherever you go so you can easily show off your work in real-time.

Features
    • Reads meshes in the universal obj format
    • Currently the tri limit is about 50k, but performance depends on your device
    • Textures can be imported in jpg and png formats
    • Diffuse map
    • Normal map
    • Specular map
    • Camera can rotate and zoom
    • Sample gallery included so you can take a tour without having to import your own models first
    • The in app purchase to unlock the full version on Android is a "managed item" which means it is tied to your account. If you delete the app or download the app on another device, you can recover the original purchase and unlock it.

Download links:
    Importing your assets is easy -- you can check out the guide for details. Currently you can have up to 10 assets in your gallery, but this will increase in the future.

One of the reasons I wanted to reach out was to get feedback. I was surprised to see there's not really many apps like this, so I'm not sure if there's even much interest in this sorta thing. If there's enough people using the app, I'd love to build out more features in updates -- there's a lot of stuff I have on the potential roadmap, but I'd really like to hear what the actual users want.

Screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Please let me know what you think :)

2. JTown

JTown Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Independent GameDev
    Dallas, TX
    Update came out on the iOS version. The in app purchase was removed from the iOS version and instead it will just be a paid app. If you had already downloaded the free version on iOS, you can update to the full version (you might have to delete and redownload). Android will stay free with IAP to unlock full version -- by the way, the in app purchase is a "managed item" which means it is tied to your account. If you delete the app or download the app on another device, you can recover the original purchase and unlock it.

Some of the stuff I'm working on now:
    • add ability to have multiple galleries (eg 'character' gallery, 'weapon' gallery, etc) -- with this, you'll be able to have way more than 10 assets in your portfolio
    • improve camera controls
    • implement the hardware buttons on Android
    • talking with graphic designer friend that might help revamp the UI design

If you've got any more suggestions I'd love to hear them :)