iOS 7 and Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Paul202, Aug 24, 2013.

?

Is Apple ripping off Cydia developers?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2013.
  1. Yes.

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. No.

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  1. Paul202

Paul202 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    School
    MI, USA
    I watched the Apple video for iOS 7, and I noticed many "new features" that seemed to directly come from Jailbreak tweaks. The most notable one is SBSettings (Now Control Center), however there are other small features such as the clock being in real time that have been already available to jail breakers. I remember this happens with the "new" WiFi sync feature, a best selling tweak on Cydia. Does anybody think that apple is directly copying jailbreaks, and if so do you think it is right?

2. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" seems apt. It's a good thing, apple have seen deficits in their operating system that have been filled by unofficial developers and implemented their own variations. I guess a jailbreak is a fair way off, I haven't heard any bragging from the jailbreak scene lately.

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Yes, they are "ripping" (not exactly the right word) them off, which has been pretty obvious in some cases. But I'm very thankful for that. However... I hate it how Apple is boasting with their features; example: 1 year ago: "WE HAVE TV-OUT!!!", we (the jailbreakers) had this feature like 3-2 years before that...

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The good thing is that it will be available to non-JB users. Simple as that.

JB is technically not illegal, but it isnt supported by Apple. So these enhancements are an advantage to Apple users.

Not every advantage to a JB device has been covered by iOS7. One thing i always have on my JB ithings, is the ability to rename my apps. Im looking at how Apple will respond to that.

5. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Apple has 'ripped off' Cydia tweaks since the very first updates of iOS.... Copy/paste was only ever available via JB, as was a wallpapered background.

6. Pivi

Pivi Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Actually, I don't think that's ripoff what Apple does. From time to time, they have to come out with updates to their iOS, and they have to put more and more features in to please the customers.

The thing is, they left out a lot of very useful functions, so they can give them slowly to us one by one.

Jailbreakers on the other hand, got these features right away from Cydia.

7. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    They aren't ripping, but improving. They learn from the Cydia devs, and just work on adding to iOS 7.

If it was ripping/copying, then it would be a direct copy of the tweaks including the name. But apple have renamed there features and made them look better.

This will definitely deter people from jail breaking... Unless you want root access, then you will have no choice but to jailbreak.

I want root access for my iPhone, just like mac has root access. So why can't my iPhone. I know it's to do with security, but I guess they won't change there minds on that.

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Since I just bought an icade cabinet I'm thinking of jail breaking my iPad so I can use mame and play TMNT 1989 arcade (always my fav arcade game)
    Still on the fence but I wish more of these old games were available on the App Store so I could just buy them and make things easier.
    I did once jail break my iPod 4g and found the new features pretty useless and after about a week or two I went back to the official apple iOS.

9. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I think that apple do look at best selling jailbreak tweaks and include them in iOS but they make them better. If apple didnt include these features people will JB . What apple are trying to do is make JB not worth it unless you want to pirate apps. Then they can make it illegal.

P.s Anyone know if you can change the default browser in iOS 7?
    I always preferred puffin instead of safari

10. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    or want ROOT access (full control of YOUR purchased device)

11. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Who cares about it anyway? As soon as iOS 7 will launch the Jailbreaking will hopefully find finally an definitive ending.

12. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Some prefer not to have pre-installed apple-ware (bloatware) also you can speed up CPU (overclock, but will drain battery) access files you wouldn't be able to, e.g. block ads.. (even with ad-enabled games connected to data & Wi-Fi) all your free games essentially become premium to a degree as superuser :)

Apple's safety mechanisms are limitations for enthusiasts. Limitations that limit how they get to use a device THEY own.

13. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    I want Dolphin as my default browser. I want le emulators to work on iOS7.

14. Zeldaniac

Zeldaniac Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2012
    I understand implementing ideas that have already been made by jailbreakers, but every single feature of iOS 6 and 7 that I can think of is available on iOS 5, if jailbroken. Rather pitiul. You'd think Apple would have at least a few original ideas in a few years.

15. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Agreed.
    There have been many features of jailbreaking that are most certainly useful but far, far too many negative things that have had a far greater negative impact that I would certainly like to see an end to.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #16 JBRUU, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    Nevermind.

17. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Jailbreak.

I never got one in my devices.