iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo

Good idea and something I would like to see too. Added to our Improvements
    List.
    Card swapping won't be feasible, sorry. Not until one shining day when we had our own server or something.

Steve@ 3Goblins

2. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Thank you Steve for all the information. I appreciate.

3. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Hi everyone,

I'm guinea-pigging again and testing a mini update to try and resolve the syncing issue. It's iCloud playing up rather than Spellcraft. Let you know how we get on.

Carlos, we are always trying to get them to do a pass and play game, or get rid of the bloody game centre, but they sensibly explained it means paying to host their own servers which is quite a lot to ask of them at this early stage. Lets keep nagging them though, I find that if you nag someone enough, you usually get your own way eventually hehe.

Also, Steve answered the question about the end turn thing. I used to ask exactly the same question and thought it was just inconvenient. It's really hard to explain on here, but genuinely you CAN use it to your advantage.

Consider examples like;

You have the Giant Volta on the board (blue card, massive eel creature you double tap them and they zzzzzap all the cards surround the including your own forces!). So what you could do is double tap to zap, THEN do your attack (which if you did this first youve lost your chance to zap) and THEN lay your card so you've not damaged your own minion.

Or, your opponent has lined up a purple under dark worm, but you are in trouble as all you have left is a crappy little firebird who has 'quick'. If you lay your firebird and press attack, then your firebird will get sent straight to the discard, like a little suicide bomber as Steve described, therefore leaving you completely unprotected now that it's your opponents turn.

SO, you press attack, THEN lay your firebird, THEN end turn. It's not great, but at least that big old worm has a blockage in his next turn and hopefully you will then draw something more substantial.

I'm only really parroting what Steve said there, just thought I'd give some actual card examples. Play around with it and in practice it will make more sense.

4. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Thank you for the card explanation. I was sure I was missing something. :)

5. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    You know at startup you get the little orange box that says syncing? Well that just stays spinning and you get stuck while its trying to retrieve your I for from iCloud. Very tedious, and weird how its only happening on my phone and my iPad is good!

And I've been using English since I was, oh, maybe ONE!! Lol. Your grammar is far more correct than what mine is ;) I guess I got lazy.

6. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Steve, are servers expensive then? I've always wondered, I've no clue if they are hundreds/thousands/millions?

Card swapping would be great though wouldn't it! Or what about card betting? Using cards as a stake in two player matches, wouldn't that turn up the heat!!

7. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Sometime I wish there was an UNDO button on the iPhone when big fingers have covered the card and placed the wrong one!

8. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Changes

As the number of players is growing, now is really our last chance to fine tune some cards. Doing it later just wouldn't be good.
    These changes were produced as a result of analysing card use, comparisons, calculations, personal experience, interactions with future factions, etc

Most changes are very trivial indeed, so this list isn't exactly a fun read. We won't even include it on the update release notes.
    And it's possible 1 or 2 won't even make it in the final cut.

Steve @ ThreeGoblins

Detonation : 1 less cost
    Heatseeker: 1 less cost
    Flame spider : +1 health
    Smoke Elemental :gained Elusive

Nobbling Trickster : 1 less cost
    Reemergence: 1 less cost
    Barkskin : 1 less cost
    Overgrown Forest : +1 health
    Wall of Webs: +1 health
    Nobbling Elder : 1 less cost but ability costs 1, not 0
    Deepwood Fey : Does -1/-1 to victim, not -1/0
    Blessed Unicorn : -1 health

Essence Drift : 1 less cost
    Triton Waveriders : 1 less cost for their ability
    Deepsea Thing: +1 health
    Shimmersquid: +1 health
    Shimmershoal: now have the ability of Triton Waveriders
    Rainbow Pearl : Gives 3 rather than 2 power
    Triton Pearldivers: Changed to a 1/1 from 0/2

Dreadmarsh Plague: 1 less cost
    Dark Secrets: : 1 less cost
    Accursed: : 1 less cost
    Blood Orb: 1 less cost
    Cloud of Bats: 1 less cost
    Skeleton Crew : steals 2 items, rather than 1
    Stitched Golem: +1 health

Taken Under: +1 cost
    Unnatural Gas : 1 less cost
    Mindvenom Spiders: +1 health

:)

9. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    @Steve: Nice update announcement, curious how the card changes will affect gameplay.
    I only ask for one thing, and that is to reconsider the -1 cost for Accursed.
    As I wrote before, in my opinion the card is extremely powerful as it is, and should stay the same cost, plus get a timer added (10 rounds or whatever). If you reduce its cost by 1 , I am convinced it will become the new "Taken Under".

@Cat: Ah, now I get it about my English. I think my better grammar (not that I ever noticed) comes from a) learning English as a secondary language , b) being a German native speaker (German grammar is more complicated, and we are real sticklers for that), and c) from that I do a lot of high level communication (e.g. to upper management, important customers), where I often have to be very careful with every word I write/say, and how I say it as well.

And server costs: You can start really cheap, meaning for free at some webhoster. However, the more you want in functionality and support, the more you pay. I would have to look up current pricings, but my guess would be that for something usable for Spellcraft, you would be in the ~100€/month range easily. As far as I know, Amazon's cloud services are about the best you can currently get in terms of price/service, but even they made the headlines with several nasty outages (some lasting days) in the past months. Enterprise-quality servers are expensive, you simply cannot compare that to offers for private persons; wholly different league here.

10. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    AAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHH
    AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHH

My reaction to reading that my unicorns just got sick!!

11. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Right, well now Im feeling very uncharitable, I'm even sniggering a bit at how much Sheinfell hates that a cursed card teehee.

I agree it's a mean old card, but I don't think changing the cost will make a difference. Because its a 4, then as a rule you don't get to lay any other cards that turn anyway, so in my opinion if it were a 5 then it makes no difference at all.

As much as I resent the card taking up a slot in my deck, I guess Sheinfell you'll just have to make way to keep a card like Natural order in waiting. Outwitting obstacles is of course all part of the game.

Thanks for explaining about the servers, just something I always wondered about. For the record, if there was ever a goblin Kickstarter for such a thing you can count me in.

12. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    I love the way Steve just said these are trivial changes and not very interesting reading....and there's us nerds sitting there reading it with eyes as big a saucers going "ooooooohhh" lol. I think he forgets how nerdy we are :D

13. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    iCloud testing thingy

We're still doing it guys, nothing to report yet. I'm still sitting here trying syncing attempt 1.....please wait.....attempt 2..... Please wait....I got up to 161 yesterday.

On January 1st the iCloud status page said there was a disruption which affected 3% of services, they claim its working again now but maybe that's the root of our problem.

Incase anyone else was wondering, I asked why it was affecting my phone and not my iPad and now I understand. Because my iPad is my primary device, then I tried with the phone, the phone is the one that needs to collect the documents and data from the cloud (which is not putting out).

Attempt 76....please wait......will keep you all updated.....

14. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Captains Log; attempt 106....please wait

Oh boy it's boring waiting for this test update. I've just re-read the whole thread to kill time.

Whatever happened to Mack the Knife? I liked him.

I like that anyone can post on this forum and everyone is really nice to them. I wonder if we have any lurkers? I hope not, they should say Hi.

*drumming fingers*

Oh yes!! Who remembers xaxaxaorcslayer, circa page 9? Lololol he needed his bum smacked didn't he! Angry little goblin he was!

Oh bo\\€ks...... I've timed out on attempt 106. Attempt 1....please wait.....

15. Krossek

Krossek Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Germany
    I m back from a short "offline" Trip. First -> Happy new year to all of you nice and helpful people !

@lechatcurieux: Thx for your hints. i bought some cards and did some finetuning...one of my decks is working better now...but....i m at the point you mentioned in this thread before: the safest way to win is a "big gun" deck. Forget tricky tactics...put out the big creatures. And i try to avoid heavy fire; i hate the "4-damage" spell which takes out nearly any tough creature.

@steve: now i am too stuck on the sync screen with my iphone. Ipad works as it should but iphone locks up on every sync. i am sad about it, becuase im back at work today and....err....you know what i mean :cool:

16. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    [BUG] Dark Assassin does no damage vs. Living Essence

Looks I found another bug:
    I just tested a new deck against the AI.
    When I played the Wildwood level, my Dark Assassin did not do any damage against the Living Essence with his normal attack. His special ability worked fine, and did damage normally.

17. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Hello Sheinfell,

That's 2/2 vs a 2/2 right?

You 100% sure no other effect such as Rooted?
    (I still get thrown by that )

Regards
    Steve @ThreeGoblins

18. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo

19. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Color me silly :) Yes, 2/2 vs. 2/2, no idea how I missed that. Quite obvious now why the DA did not do any damage...

20. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    I hate that bloody big red card too. If it helps Krossek, and don't tell the goblins we know, but it only comes at the beginning of the AI decks, so lay cheap stuff down at first.

Sheinfell, try the assassin/living essence thing again, I bet you had your assassins skills dissolved or something you missed? If you still think its a bug, send them the console log.

Thanks for the game just now. I find that if (as you did), you lay your accursed cards too early, you are leaving yourself too vulnerable. Two turns taken up not laying any cards while your opponent is desperately dumping all they can on the board means you are essentially two turns behind. I find it works better if you get some cards out first where possible and then use the accursed.

That last game was disappointing, I drew the crappiest set of cards ever, couldn't draw anything other than strengths or spells. I hate it when the minions won't arrive in a nice order!