Old User wondering what's new in the iPhone/iPod Touch World

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by XGLITE, Jul 6, 2010.

1. XGLITE

XGLITE Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    England
    Hi all at TouchArcade. I haven't been keeping track of gaming for the past hmmm 3-6 months. Just wondering what are the new killer apps, any deals that are on offer that I should really get, and any other concerning information regarding the world of Touch gaming... Thanks.

2. DPRICE81

DPRICE81 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    I'm wondering if you'd like to share your picks of the best games from when the store first opened until december of 2009 because that's when I first got my ipod touch. I have globall that I beat. Any oldies but goodies?

3. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Some awesome games that have been released recently: Super QuickHook, Pix'n Rush, Tilt To Live, & Fruit Ninja. You should check them out.

4. iFanzine

iFanzine Well-Known Member

Yup, I'll second that Pix'n Love Rush recommendation. Also really enjoying Pro Zombie Soccer at the moment...you've gotta lotta catching up to do, have fun! :)

5. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    You haven't missed that much although some really good games came out;

- Fruit Ninja [Thread, iTunes]

- Babylonian Twins [Thread, iTunes]

- Carcassonne [Thread, iTunes]

- Robot Unicorn Attack [Thread, iTunes]

- Super QuickHook [Thread, iTunes]

- Wolf Boy [Thread, iTunes]

- Tilt to Live [Thread, iTunes]

- Prince of Persia: Warrior Within [Thread, iTunes]

- BATTLE BEARS -1: The Double Prequel [Thread, iTunes]

Some BIG updates to already existing games;

- Saucerlifter 1.3 Heavy Disk [Thread, iTunes]

- Pocket God: Crack is Wack! [Thread, iTunes]

- Jet Car Stunts [Thread, iTunes]

Upcoming games to look out for;

- Stenches: The Zombie Game to End All Zombie Games [Thread]

- Dark Nebula: Episode 2 [Thread]

- Legendary Wars [Thread]

- Agents! [Thread]

- Prisoner 84 [Thread]

- iShoot 2 [Thread]

--

Those are only some of many! Welcome back.

6. DPRICE81

DPRICE81 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Qwak
    Grokion
    Archetype exciting new online FPS
    OG (gangster MMO)

7. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    There's a reason Angry Birds is the top paid app. Get it, if you don't have it already.

8. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    excellent list :)

9. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why dont you says what genres you enjoyed before, because the recommendations are all over the map and skewed towards recent stuff.

For example, like Dual Stick Shooters? There is probably still consensus that Meteor Blitz is the best.

Like RTS? There is general consensus that Land Sea Air is the best single player experience by a comfortable margin, although it lacks multiplayer.

In the pick up and play genre, Fruit Ninja and Tilt-to-live got and get lots of love from most TA'ers that like casual games.

And so on, and so forth :)

10. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Thanks, I enjoyed doing it. :)

11. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    Some other good ones

Land Air Sea Warfare: best RTS period

Sigma: interesting puzzle game

Sword and poker 2: enjoy poker? Buy it haha

Gun disassembly: I like it

100 rogues: if you like roguelikes then this is a game you will love

Highborn: really nice Turn Based Strategy

Fragger: its a fun grenade throwing game

PHOENIX WRIGHT ACE ATTOURNEY: BUY BUY BUY!!!!

Archetype: amazing online fps

Carnivores: guns and dinosaurs? Sign me up!

Hector: Badge of Carnage ep1: buy buy buy!

Grokion: its a good metroidvania type game

EDIT: oh and Oddy Smog is fantastic too

12. XGLITE

XGLITE Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    England
    Thanks everyone! Forgot what a great community TA is! I've just bought angry birds and it is a great on the go type of game. The prince of Persia game looks great aswell as the new updates on pocket good (which I really really need to get).

13. XGLITE

XGLITE Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    England
    Thank you RttaM for a great list of titles! It seems the app store is as strong as ever!
    I have just bought jet car stunts and it is fantastic - a real sense of speed.

My favourite titles from 2008/9 (if I remember when these came out rightly, are

Doodle jump - still a fantastic game although papi jump started it all, doodle jumps updates have made it far superior.

iPingPong - loved the game to death, my favourite table tennis game

Eliss - manic game and quite tricky.

Zenonia - a brilliant rpg that wasn't bested when I was playing iPod touch games, and it was sooooooo long.

Homerunbattle 3D - dunno how many people still play this game but it was nightly fun online and featured cod-like unlockables.

Dinosmash - had a cult following on TA a while ago and was fantastic and crazy to play online.

GeoDefense - the original was fantastic and I enjoyed it much more than Geodefense swarm as the areas you could place turrets weren't set. Both games are fun and hard which makes for an enjoyable and challenging experience.

Dactyl - a favourite for quick fun, very addictive to get a high score tapping at the bombs before they blow up.

WordFu - a great timed word game.

TouchGrind - very well known game but fantastic nonetheless.

Space invaders infinity gene - a great space invaders remake though the best bit is using your own music to create unique stages.

Some others In a list:
    ZenBound - fantastic graphics
    Minigore
    iBlastMoki - exclusively on iPhone and very original, a puzzler with some similarities to angry birds - my favourite of 2009
    Peggle - same as the pc version but soo much more fun
    Ragdoll Blaster - a great game shooting a person at targets
    HoldEm - the best poker game offline with Live Poker the best online
    Grand theft auto Chinatown wars - the real deal
    Blimp - a puzzler/platformer
    Cube Runner - fast, very fast
    Enigmo - puzzle with water
    F.A.S.T - fantastic flight game
    Real Racing - just like the good old codies games, and with great graphics.
    Knots - free and fun with more than one person
    I dig it - just like motherload from miniclip.com
    Fieldrunners - the original TD
    Moto X Mayhem - a solid bike racer like trials bike etc.
    iDodge: Space Ninja - a great timing game
    Space Trader - trading goods around stations to get the best value, had so much fun with this game
    Stoneloops of Jurassica - fantastic, just fantastic puzzle game.
    Theseus - another great puzzle game with you and the Minotaur getting one turn each to make a move and you have to get to the exit
    4x4 jam - a great racer with an open world element
    Scoops - very original and addictive
    Tolu Tori - a great puzzler with high values

14. XGLITE

XGLITE Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    England
    Also, I dont know whether he still does them, but Big Albie was the best reviewer on Touch Arcade for the majority of last year and before that for IPhone games, so if there's anything to know ask him, otherwise if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

15. XGLITE

XGLITE Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    England
    Ahh yeah I remember that! :D, what happened to him? And who does iPhone reviews now?

16. XGLITE

XGLITE Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    England
    And to narrow it down a bit, I like original titles especially:

First person shooters (as long as the controls are good)
    Different puzzlers (something with a uniqueness eg angry birds)
    Platformers (2d ones as 3d doesn't tend to work)
    An in depth rpg (leaning on development and questing)

Hope that helps, sorry for the vague posting and the wait inbetween.

17. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    A first-person shooter just came out that's called Archetype. It's multiplayer-only (sans the "Training" level), but that is a fun one if you're looking for a multiplayer FPS that you can play over 3G and Wifi.

As far as strange puzzlers go, though I haven't played it myself, Psychoban has been getting a lot of attention. It's an isometric "Sokoban" game where the point of the game is move blocks around and set them up on switches. I think that's the gist of it. From the things I've seen on Psychoban, it has that gameplay element, plus a devious sense of humor and a very peculiar little art style.

I haven't noticed many noteworthy platformers coming out lately, but I'm sure you've heard of Soosiz? That's probably the best one I've played. Grokion finally released, and that's like a mix of Mega Man and Metroid. That's pretty fun, but also pretty difficult.

I'm not too big into RPGs, but Ravensword is really good. I like it a lot, at least :eek:

I'm sure somewhere in the thread, somebody already mentioned it, but I thought I'd go ahead and throw it in just in case: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. It's a fantastic point-and-click attorney simulator that has some great stories, memorable characters, and when the courtroom gameplay comes in, it's just outstanding. It's a very refreshing title that if you aren't familiar with, it's amazing. Look into it :D

And if you're into extreme sports, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 was ported to the iPhone back in April, and they did a terrific job with it. If you played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 back in its heyday, and want to relive that nostalgia, definitely don't hesitate to pick that up.

Just thought I'd throw my two pennies in :eek:

Disclaimer: I'm not entirely sure when any of these games came out for sure (except for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2), so I apologize if you already knew of them beforehand :p

18. XGLITE

XGLITE Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    England
    It's alright, thanks for the help! I checked soosiz, out I think (the one where you can jump between world areas and go upside down sort of like a 2D super Mario galaxy).

Ooh ravensword has finally come out! I'll have to check that out

Nostalgia! Hopefully its a good port. Are the controls good?

I'll have a look at the other ones aswell! Thanks everyone!

19. XGLITE

XGLITE Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    England
    Such a shame, atleast reviewing carries on.

20. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    The controls in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 are disgustingly good. As long as you use the virtual d-pad as opposed to the accelerometer, the controls are outstanding.