iPhone Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 22, 2012.

1. dhgamer

dhgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    New York
    Found THIS over at Neogaf forum.

2. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

#42 riChchestMat, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    I've had this freeze on me once. The control system is a bit fiddly too. I think I've been spoilt by Disgaea

EDIT but the game recovered my progress

3. Onikage725

Onikage725 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    I play the iPhone version on my ipad1 with retina pad. Ever since the last update it honestly looks great.

4. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    The font is absolutely awful on iPad.

5. jackiemac

jackiemac Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 19, 2009
    Do you mean it's awful on the iPhone version played on an iPad, or the iPad version?

6. Otter

Otter New Member

Feb 24, 2012
    The iphone version at 2x looks terrible on the iPad. However, if you use RetinaPad to get the proper resolution (an option that, frankly, should be available on the vanilla iPad) it looks and runs fantastic. The fonts are a little retro, but they are sharp pixels instead of fuzzy blurs, and easy to read.

I've got the iPad2 and I've never had it (the iphone version) hang or suffer any notable slowdown yet.

I'm kind of torn, because it would probably be nicer using the full screen (although it's pretty nice at 2x) but not that much nicer that I'd leap at the chance to pay another 20 bucks for it.

7. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Can't comment on whether it's worth upgrading from iPhone, but I'm very happy with the iPad-native version. Text is highly readable.

Everything is a little pixelated (characters, text, etc.) but no worse than I'd expect from a PS1 -> iPad port. The game depth is miles ahead of pretty much any other SRPG on the tablet. Disgaea and Tactics Ogre are my faves on other consoles, but this is the best bet by far on iOS.

8. Dukdown

Dukdown New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Sales mostly. Going back to school to become an R
    NY
    I know this might sound like a stupid question, but can anyone explain retinapad and how to get it.

9. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    cydia app that lets you play iphone games on ipad, with retina graphics...

10. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    *sigh* Another letdown in my quest to play this game. FFT was a game I wanted to play for years, but never got around to buying the hardware to play it. Then it comes out for iPhone, but for some reason it kept crashing on my 3GS. I played it for a bit on the wife's iPhone 4, but she wasn't real keen on sharing so had to wait until I got my 4S. It started crashing on it also, and I finally did a fresh restore and I was finally able to get into the game.

Now the iPad version finally arrives, and I'm getting headaches after playing for a half hour or so. I'm guessing it's the pixelated characters that I'm trying to focus on, but no matter what it is I'm either going to have to wait for the promised higher res graphics, or go back to the small screen on the iPhone.

Or maybe I'm simply destined to never really play FFT. :eek:

11. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+2]FINAL FANTASY TACTICS:
    THE WAR OF THE LIONS
    for iPad
    [/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    22/02/2012
    [/size]

Do you like the first tactical RPG of Final Fantasy series in your iPad?

[size=+3][thread=123528]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -​

12. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    I'm a huge fan of the turn based strategy games. I'm playing the psp version upscaled to a 55 inch tv. A lot easier to see that's for sure but the pixels get a little smoothed out, but not fuzzy per say. Anyone notice any problems with the touch controls? Big fingers on some games is an annoyance. Where's my stylus at? ...well I'll just wait till it goes down a tad in price, since I just purchased the psp one for 11.99 :(

Can't wait for a fire emblem port :)

13. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Wont happen, published by Nintendo.

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Updated with retina assests and iCloud support. Also, it's half off right now

15. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Heck yes. I've been looking forward to this.

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Hold on, check my post in the iPhone version. I had an issue with the menus disappearing during my play though. It might be wiser to wait and see if anyone else is having this issue first

17. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Blasted. I saw this but really wonder if it would be better to bust out my PSP and load up that version...

Have there been any improvements to the menu systems?

18. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    #58 Alister, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    OMG the updates are awesome!!Its not a pixelated mess anymore!!Plus they redo the user interface to be much more touch friendly,no more cluttering buttons on the bottom screen...Its now a full baked port,hurray!!!Between this,KOTOR and WHQ,my IOS gaming time is fully booked for quite some time..:D

Oh how I've been waiting for this update since they announced it..Since its out,I do believe that the android version will be released shortly or may already have..

19. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I jumped on it after your review Alister, I'm very impressed so far!

I'm officially done for.... Forever now!

20. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I can confirm that there are no issues with the iPad version, and the improvements to the unit graphics are very noticeable, especially if you open the old and new versions side by side.