iPhone BADLAND - atmospheric action adventure from Frogmind!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Johannes Vuorinen, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Juhana Myllys

Juhana Myllys Well-Known Member

#61 Juhana Myllys, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    Hello!

Status update and release plans in our blog.

We are happy to say that we are aiming to launch BADLAND for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch on February/March!

And here are some brand new screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These screenshots are from the later part of the game. The sun has set and dusk has arrived to the BADLAND forest. The beautiful place starts to look like something else..

BADLAND is divided into four sections: Dawn, Noon, Dusk and Night. In our first gameplay video, we showed one of the Dawn levels. The Noon was shown with one screenshot a month ago. And now we showed the first two screenshots from the Dusk. As the day progresses in BADLAND, the forest becomes more dangerous making surviving more challenging. There will be 10 levels in each of the sections, which makes a total of 40 levels. But, that’s just in the launch – we are going to keep making more content and levels after the launch.

BADLAND also features at launch 12 different power-ups which change the gameplay in various ways. The first gameplay video showed ones which change the character’s size, making it feel heavier or lighter and ones that make the character spin leading to a new kind of gameplay. The video also showed ones which make the character fly faster and slower, and also ones that clone the character into multiple characters leading to extremely versatile gameplay (there can be tens of clones for the player to control at the same time). The screenshots above introduce a new really cool power-up which we haven’t talked about yet. Rather than telling what it does, we’ll keep you teased a while longer and show you what it does in another gameplay video early next year. It’s that cool.

But even before that video, we are going to show you something really cool straight away in the beginning of next year. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone! Next year is going to be BAD! :)

2. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    I can't imagine how you'll be able to see anything at night! ;)

3. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Any new info? It's been a while since an update. Actually, it's been exactly a month.

4. Juhana Myllys

We are happy to announce that BADLAND will feature local multiplayer for up to four players playing in the same device! Here’s a quick video showing it in action in a noon level:

The multiplayer is all about survival of the fittest – with no rules. It’s completely okay to push your opponent to a spinning circular saw in order to survive. The multiplayer shares the same easy to grasp controls and the gameplay mechanics as the single player, so it’s easy to pick any friend (or foe) to play against you. However, skills matter in the end. The physical gameplay makes sure that every game is different.

BADLAND will feature 12 multiplayer levels at launch, and we will keep adding more levels in updates.

Here's some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    This could be the most beautiful game that will be available for iOS. Could it be prettier than God of Blades AND have gameplay? :rolleyes:

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I was beginning to tire of the silhouette style we've been seeing quite a lot of recently, but the background artwork saves this game for me. It's unique and pretty enough to give the game its own identity and right now... I'm sold. I didn't read the entire thread though, any iPad retina?

7. Wow, excellent work you guys. Looking forward to giving this a play.

8. Johannes Vuorinen

May 30, 2012
    Programmer & Designer / Co-founder
    Finland
    Thanks guys! :)

The game supports iPad retina and iPhone retina.

9. Juhana Myllys

Beta testers wanted!

If you are interested in beta testing BADLAND already before its launch, drop us an email at [email protected]. In the email, tell us something about yourself and which iOS devices (and their operating system version) you own. We have only very limited number of slots available so we unfortunately cannot take everyone. We are going to use TestFlight (http://www.testflightapp.com) to distribute the build to the chosen testers.

and finally here's some new screens:

[​IMG]

10. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I can't wait for this game. It looks delicious.

11. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Sometimes I'm left flabbergasted by how many talented artists seem to be working on ios games at any given time. I always have wished I had the ability to translate what is in my mind onto paper...my damn hands screw everything up ;).

...and that's why I became a photographer (somewhat).

12. Juhana Myllys

BADLAND is.. Done!

The release date then? The actual date is still not official but we can say the release will be in month’s time. We will let you know the precise date as soon as we can.

BADLAND will support iPad, iPhone and iPod touch – and it’s an universal app so you only need to buy it once and you can play it in your every iOS device. And because the game supports iCloud, your game progress will be same in every iOS device you own. There are no in-app purchases – you get the whole game with one purchase. Oldskool style.

Here are some fresh screenshots from BADLAND in Night. Enjoy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    CONGRATS!!!!

Well done to you and the team!! Go put the kettle on. You deserve it! Huge fan of the past console projects but I've felt some of the magic was lacking on the recent mobile projects. How does this differ if it does at all?
    I hope it goes well guys :)

14. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Thread Bunp!

So, any idea on a release date? I can feel it. It's coming soon.

15. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    MAN! i bet we have to wait until next Wednesday night. :sniff: This game looks radical.

16. oivoi

oivoi Well-Known Member

I had a chance to play the beta and I can confirm that this really is as good as it looks :) The graphics look even better in motion and everything's been polished to the maximum. Also, if you're into playing local multiplayer games, this game is for you.

17. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Next Wednesday? I guess that answers my question. Sweet.

18. Juhana Myllys

First video preview from BADLAND:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ6FmPzoAbU

Some of you were wondering if BADLAND will be out next week. You have to wait a little bit longer. We'll announce the the exact release date a little later :)

19. Johannes Vuorinen

May 30, 2012
    Programmer & Designer / Co-founder
    Finland
    BADLAND will be released in App Store for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch in April 4, 2013.

To celebrate this, check out the new gameplay trailer:

Btw, we are going to be at GDC so if someone wants to give BADLAND a test drive before the launch, contact me and maybe we can meet there. :)