Sharing user created levels?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by adamsidev, Jun 14, 2010.

1. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Hi guys :)

Just after some info... I'd like to add the ability for players to create and upload their own levels for my game. The level editor will be in-game and produce XML files for the levels.

Anyone have any experience/info as to how/where I could go about uploading a level and letting other people get it?

Thanks!!
    Adam

2. touchDev192

touchDev192 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    #2 touchDev192, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    Hey,

I'd also be interested in knowing about how dev's do this. I'm thinking right now that the only way is to host it on one of your own servers? Unless there are any platforms that include this sort of feature?

But yeah it would be a really useful thing to find out!

3. zbob

zbob Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    ask the guys at illusion labs i guess?
    their level sharing is top notch

4. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    You'll need to create a PHP page for you to upload the file, and one for getting the file.

You'll also need to have a domain.

5. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    It would be worth looking at something like Google app engine. The cool thing about it is that it would cost nothing unless you had a huge hit and everyone was using it.

6. Jyaif

Jyaif Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Male
    Independent game dev
    Paris, France
    Google App Engine FTW. I am already using it for the score system and the replays. I plan on using it again for the user generated content.

7. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Great, I'll look into Google App Engine, not got a clue what it is at the moment! :)

Cheers

8. touchDev192

touchDev192 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    ok thanks! that's useful to know, so basically need my own domain, which can support (if needed) large numbers of hits... or using the Google app engine, which I'll have to look into!