iPad Red Conquest - (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wootbean, Dec 12, 2009.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Also, it's the first time I've ever played the game with headphones, and all I can say is that the soundtrack is insane.

2. Broke on the Blue Defense mission on iPod. Can't play the game anymore, crashes, won't even load. Something's gone wrong.

I'll see how it is on iPad...

3. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Just realized that this game came out in 2009..that's just incredible. I'm looking through the release dates of some my favorite games, and it's interesting seeing how many of them came out so long ago in AppStore terms. It's been over a year and a half, and this still remains the best RTS on the iOS.

4. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    yea everyone wants to bring a PC rts...but this game works phenomenally as iPhone RTS...it was made for the platform from the ground up

5. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #1365 backtothis, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
    And that's what's so amazing about it. I can't believe that the game is as old as it is. I really wish I had spent more time with the game back then in its early months. Instead, I quickly deleted it since I was too lazy to get through the learning curve. I bet online was bustling at the time. I didn't really get into the game until over a year later during December of 2010 when I decided to resync the game. Then, the game went free for a while, and online was pretty popular for a bit, which was awesome since I caught some of the pros from the old days, lots of 2F guys. Beat Vingdoloras, Shell, and some of the other guys a lot more often than they beat me xD. But yeah, wishing people still played online. I still play the game from time to time with the girlfriend though.

But yeah, the controls for this game couldn't be more perfect.

Spent quite some time playing Armada, Starfront, LASW, Warfare Incorporated, and even Red Alert, but Red Conquest is no doubt still the best.

6. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Yea you shoulve been there when the game was first announced... John was just making the save state and we got a chance to add a lot of suggestions. I remember seeing the game and I wasn't too excited. But the involvement that John (the dev for those who dont know) really made me look more into the game. He took a lot of what I said seriously which had a profound influence on me. I had played...quantum collapse, and though a very fun game in its own right with great controls, it was just too slow. WHen this first came out it took me a really long time to learn the controls...i remember i was completely lost in the tutorials and i was getting frustrated. But i liked john so i put some serious effort into trying and oh boy everything was amazing. Some of the intricacies that you would never think about really show some good control polish. Like where your units come out from...the ability to send build orders to all units..etc.

Yea when online came on, it was a lot of fun. Blue proved to be superior but the animations for all of them were awesome. Then came the green faction and those guys were cool..."harvester Spam!!!" i'm surprised how inactive Cat in a box games have been for the support they've shown their games in the past.

I occasionally play a skirmish here and there...sometimes try to get S's on those challenge missions :p

i love playing this online, but for me the biggest dealbreaker is the lack of balance...Blue is vastly overpowered, and i just want to play red ;P

It's still a great game though....ive even gifted it quite a few times to support Cat-in-a-box

7. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I remember QC, lol. Javier made so many promises on what he'd do for the game, and those never came to pass since the game didn't sell too well. I spent quite a lot of time with that one as well.

Still hoping the update will make its way here soon like it's supposed to. The game really should go free again for a few days to give it a boost up the charts since I highly doubt it's selling right now.

Blue is indeed very powerful, lol. It's the only class i use xP.

8. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    he came through with all his promises. The way he did multiplayer though, Apple rejected it. He made the work stable, fixed bugs. and tried to add stuff to it. Then he got picked up by a studio and stopped working on independent apps. But that one was actually quite fun.

9. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    That's pretty interesting. I see. Yeah, it was pretty fun at the time. It was either that or Warfare Incorporated, which lacked multiplayer then as well.

10. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    yea but then WI got multiplayer shortly after that. And it was the bomb also...that one was pretty great too . Only thing that i remember sucking was that units couldnt walk and shoot...and no zoom but it was a pretty good game too

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Well, the game also had the worst pathfinding out of any iOS RTS, lol. But yeah, units not automatically attacking enemies was a bunch of bull. Besides that, the graphics were a pain even if it came out in 2008. I played it quite a bit once multiplayer came out as well. Heh, RTS has always been my favorite genre of games xD.

12. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Yea I hadn't been exposed much to RTS games in the past except a few which I can't even remember. I did always read up with the latest so I knew what the basics were at least. When I first saw Red Conquest, I found that the most interesting thing was that the Base was a movable unit on it's own that had movement and attack. I couldn't tell you if this concept has been done in the past but to me it's a very revolutionary concept which really lends itself to the platform. You dont need to constantly to back to the base to build units...you build them as you're attacking! :eek:

Not only that, but the graphics on this game are phenomenal. The blue units are incredibly detailed as are the red and green units. You get a much better sense of the green units with the retina display...The graphics+sound of each of the different factions attacking etc...all top notch. It's a shame more people didn't like this game. I can see how having such a complicated control scheme is very off putting to many people but I can't really think of a better control scheme myself...so I dont know what to tell you :p

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #1373 backtothis, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    +1 man, innovation and design at its finest. You're definitely right about the graphics though. That's another reason I couldn't believe the game was from 2009. They look so damn good, especially now with retina.

Wait, when did this game become only $0.99???

14. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    It's .99 cents till episode 3 & 4 come out. It's been like that since after it went free I think for the app a day thing

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Holy shit. I seriously can't believe people aren't buying it..it's less popular than all of the other RTS games for some reason. I really wish the game had been advertised better. It's in my top 10 for the iOS and will be for a long time.

16. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Yea controls are complicated Which is the biggest reason I think. But the controls are actually awesome. It's just a very complicated game. And without a great tutorial, it makes it hard to get into it.

With the amount of fun I've had and the quality of the product. I would've payed a lot more for this lol. I wonder if it's gonna come for ps vita? It would be so perfect (with a few adjustments like better tutorials)

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I hope they do release the new update eventually. A better tutorial should be in there. They really need to make it free again if they ever do update the game and make a big deal about. After going free for a few days, it'll hopefully have climbed the free charts, giving it a boost on sales once it reverts to a paid game.

18. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    with recent news about some developers getting free development kits for vita i wonder if catinabox will be able to get in on this . The vita "should" have more of a hardcore user base so maybe Red Conquest! will be better appreciated there?....thoughts?

19. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I know it's been a while since the good old days, but if anyone is still up for a game, which I'm sure some of you guys are, shoot me a pm for my iMessage email, or add me on AIM. Still a huge fan of the game, and plat online with my girlfriend every now and then.

20. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    So is Episode 3 going to come out soon?