Universal Apocalypse Max: Better Dead Than Undead [Wandake]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Sep 14, 2012.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Dear God, I seriously hope my wife doesn't look to closely at my credit card bill this month....all those lines of iTunes purchases...

Sounds like another one I won't be able to resist.

2. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    The Game is Awesome with amazing gameplay great sound FX and astanding Weaponry!

This is a must have for every one!!!

3. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Hehe.. Exactly my situation... Tomorrow even Friday i have two tough meetings and i cannot put it down this one.. I have to go with sunglasses lol

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #24 Exact-Psience, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
    I'll start with these two words...

BUY IT.

Rip73 above has covered most of the good stuff. Graphics is really sharp on both the 4s and the iPad3. Enemy's are varied, bright and well detailed, just as your character is. For a game like this, expect lots of same looking enemies, but that is how it is one this type of game. There is still a good variety of enemies later on as you progress. Actions, interactions, reactions, all have proper sound effects. Even the menus, mission select, shop and other UIs are well-designed. Not unique, but pretty good.

Controls are very responsive. Even if you slide from the L to the R button all over to the middle of the screen, it still registers as moving to the right which is an awesome touch.Tapping on each of the action buttons does just that, and all the movement respond very fluidly to the controls.

The Knife attacks are done by swiping left or right, in which you swing your knife into that direction. This takes some getting used to, but im sure anyone who picks this up will learn it in no time.

In shops you can buy and upgrade your weapons. This is where you also need to buy the ammo, and the grenades. There's also the IAP shop there.

The IAP seems to be for the impatient only. 2 levels in on the Easiest difficulty level and I can already buy the Shotgun, although we'll see how much grinding is needed to upgrade them.

Sounds perfect? Almost. Well, there's one thing I wish i could do... I wish i could move buttons around so that the jump button will feel a lot more natural to me. Right now, it's on top of the shoot button, which is the large button on the lower right corner. It's fine where it is, but i can definitely see how it would improve my enjoyment if i were able to move the buttons around. But the game already feels great without it.

I just played 4 levels in the easy difficulty, and i have been hit a few times, so im sure the 2 other difficulty levels will be a good challenge later on.

If you love Metal Slug, you will love this.
    If you dont, you will still love this.

Overall it controls great, looks and sounds great, and is definitely something i'd strongly recommend. The only serious downside is the file size at 446mb installed, which is a little bit too much for a sidescrolling action-shooter, but im sure it is easily forgiven due to the design, style, and quality of this game.

As I said, i havent scratched the surface yet, and im looking forward to any bosses and how theyd look like. :)

IM SURE I'VE FOUND MY GAME OF THE WEEK.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If she complains, let her play this. It's that good. Oh... and dont forget that running game where you carry the chick with the machine gun.

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Unfortunately, she's far from a gamer. But maybe she'd like the wet bare back of the dude in that runner game.

Now, the only question is whether to pass on playing through the hard mode of Wild Blood for this. Wish WB had iCloud saves.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Did anyone else instantaneously think "if it bleeds, we can kill it"? >_> :p

8. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Are there achievements via GC or just leaderboards?

9. beelzebubble

beelzebubble Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Finally downloaded it! Played some and it seems pretty damned awesome :)

10. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #30 Rip73, Sep 14, 2012
    Yeah, definitely the game of the week.
    Spot on review as well. Nice one.

Time for quick sleep now. Didn't realise it was so bloody late.

11. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    You had me at "sissy difficulty," but the impressions and screens pretty much sealed the deal.:D

Picking this up tomorrow and hopefully getting a minute to play it this weekend...:rolleyes:;):)

DBC

12. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    For the love of Martin Sheen, everybody buy this Apocalypse NOW!

Only thing I need is a bigger screen. Not longer- BIGGER! Hope this is available on Google Play.

13. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Dammit Psience....

Made me spend more money! :D this game ROCKS! Well worth the money, think of Metal Slug with zombies. Loving every minute of it! Just BUY IT! People here on this thread are right!

14. Snooptalian

Sep 12, 2009
    Gonna get this as soon as I get a card. Love Metal Slug so this is a no brainer. Still wanna know if there are achievements though with Game Center. Anyone?

15. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    It's a firm Nada on Achievements, mate. Leader boards only.

16. Snooptalian

Sep 12, 2009
    Well that sucks. Thanks anyway for the info ;)

17. johannaffendy

johannaffendy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Malaysia
    #37 johannaffendy, Sep 14, 2012
    Just bought it! I can say Apocalypse Max is an excellent side scrolling shooter. Basically Metal Slug with zombies. Extra credits for the art style and overall presentation. But why'd they have to pick the same title font as Angry Birds? And perhaps they can fix the knife swiping bit in next update.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Just in case anyone was wondering, if you need to buy IAPs in A-Max, you should probably give up gaming. I haven't a clue why they're even in here in the first place, but I guess that's just the way the App Store works nowadays...trends and whatnot.

This would have honestly felt right at home on SNES/Mega Dri...err...Genesis, except that little "gimmick" (the "swipe to slash" mechanic) works so well and is definitely much more satisfying than just having to tap a button. :) Great stuff so far...just wish there would have been some boss fights at the end of each area (I should probably watch the trailer again just in case). Also kudos on a superb overall package...the sights and sounds are all great, the menus are fitting, and hey...look at that, a fantastic icon and a well thought out app title (A-Max)! :p

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Loving this game ! Got it early this morning ,everything i wanted, its like Metal Slug/Contra/Ghost n Goblins.

My only criticism is i wish i didnt have to swipe to use the knife, if i'm next to an crate/zombie pressing fire should automatically use the knife but its not a major issue.

Love the graphics, get a lot of coins (Dont think you'll need IAP's !), seems to be a lot of levels, nice menu screen, very polished. Left a glowing review on the app store

Hats off to the dev for saving this week ! Was going to be the first week all year where i hadnt bought a game until this gem came along.

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh man, the cemetery levels are just gorgeous and varied visually, the difficulty starts to ramp up even on "Sissy" and it's time to start conserving that ammo, folks!

Honestly, the only problem with this game is precisely the problem with it's forefathers from the 16-bit era...it's so hard to ****ing put down.