beta testers -- someone with experience from ibetatest.com?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Anders, May 30, 2009.

1. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    I'm just wondering why they implemented the use of incentives. Beta testing is supposed to be voluntary (for the most part). I've never expected or asked for anything after beta testing, apart from the success of the app.

2. Shocked

Shocked Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I never mind a promo code, but I don't ask for more, I just enjoy knowing I got it early.. :)

I mean, I do it for fun an to help out the devloper.. There seperation of forums and real site is annoying, and they need to implement a PM system without the forums, and make it so you can reply to Developer's emails..

I just realized today, that the email I sent in reply to "so how is it going" idnt reach them sense I replied to the email ibetatest sends out....

3. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    My personal experience with ibetatest.com is that it's a great place for getting the latest betas on a project, but not so good for interaction between beta testers. The mechanism for leaving reports, suggestions, etc. is like a hybrid between a forum and a social group, and it just doesn't seem all that friendly to me. Plus, I don't think there's a way that you can be notified if someone has replied to anything you post on a thread at ibetatest. As for any actual testing I've done through ibetatest, I've actually been in contact with the developers outside of the site, and they basically just directed me to the site in order for me to get the betas without them having to send the betas to me. In other words, I don't think the developers are really even using the site the way it was intended to be used (incidentally, both of the test groups I've been involved with there were as a result of TA :) )

4. Shocked

Shocked Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Mmmm, i think it's simpler for devs to just make their own forum, or make a group here..

5. PSMOkizzle

PSMOkizzle Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Im on ibetatest, and i also am betatesting for iSR, GeoRain, and iCombat 1.2, if you still have spots open

6. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    Sure! IF we decide to use it, we will probably do a test run ourselves to see how it works.

7. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Sweden
    That doesn't sound too good. I was hoping that the bug reporting tools were easy to use, and so that we would just get one report of a certain bug if the testers could see that it was already reported, and not 25 about the same one. And if you have 100 beta testers.. you get the picture.

8. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Sweden
    We will probably begin beta testing in late July or something like that. I'll start a thread about it, or post here.

9. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    K I'll definitely be watching for that ;) Hope I'm on at the right time :rolleyes: they go so quickly.

10. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    I'm on there, but I haven't done much testing through it!

11. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Sweden
    I'll be hand picking the beta testers, so it's not first come first serve ;)

12. wmcwmc

wmcwmc Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Sumwhere
    I applied for that website but I never got accepted or declined. Its been 2 weeks now...

13. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #33 inferi22, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
    well i have an acount there but have never been chosen (on that site)though, though i have been chosen as a beta tester here for the following:ZENONIA-,-UNDERWORLDS-,-LEGION OF AMON-(not yet released but you can check upcoming games forums for some concept art),-THOR-(not out yet either,-CARDIO-(also not out),-SCI-FLY 2-(of course a much better seguel to the one currently on the app store),-CRAZY SNOW BOARD-, and finally -GALACTIC GUNNER-(upcoming EZONE game)
    i loved sway and really hope im chosen-btw my account is just inferi there

14. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    the site is very boring

15. wmcwmc

wmcwmc Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Sumwhere
    agreed

16. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I signed up for iBetaTest, but have found it useless. I have a expansive reputation with testing games, and most devs on this site know about that, so I'm not going to go up to iBetaTest and apply to test. If they want me to test, they'll come to me, unless it's a game I really want to succeed. I'm happy to test whatever Illusion Labs has next though. Sway is THE ONLY game on iPhone that I can play for more than an hour at a time. It's amazing.

17. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Sweden
    glad to hear you like it!

and thanks everyone for posting your thoughts about ibetatest.com, seems like most of you don't care for the site.

18. inferi22

Jan 11, 2009
    ya its actually better just to create an invite only social group here with more experienced testers

19. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I don't agree with this either. The social groups here are a worthless mess. You get 15 pages of posts that usually contain only 3 pages of useful and relevant data. Plus, there's no way to organize thoughts or threads in a social group. I think the best bet for communication among beta testers is to have a forum somewhere. All the most productive beta groups I've worked with have had one, whether it's a forum on the developer's own web site or a sub forum on some other site (PDArcade and PDAGround used to be good places for this until they both went belly up). From that perspective ibetatest is actually a better choice than a social group, but it just doesn't feel as beneficial as a true forum.

20. inferi22

Jan 11, 2009
    I agree but maybe you(anders) could create a private forum on the illusions lab website