EU prices raised to 0.89€

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kafu, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Kafu

Kafu Well-Known Member

Apple has raised prices in EU to 0.89€ (from 0.79€). I think it has not been a good move.

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
  3. FlowStudioGames

FlowStudioGames Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Co-Founder
    Europe
    Hmm, this should be at least better communicated then just "silent switch". I start to feel little bit odd by recent Apple steps: iPhone 5 screen size, changes in App Store look, still bad search in the store etc.

What do you think, is this something what would Steve let go?

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    silent? so the millions of appstore visitors who see the increase price think its silent? this is as loud as it can get? what do you expect a special mail delivered to every single customer explaining a price change?

the price changed.. not the first time.. price will change again in other territories to adjust to ordinary currency valuation changes..

so what? since when are developers asked for input into the way apple does their business?

5. Kafu

Kafu Well-Known Member

I think the raise in prices could lower the volumes sold, with EU living an important crisis this "update" came at the wrong time.

BTW, Sunday I have an event and today I go to retire some hundred of brochures printed with 0.79€ price on them... Grrr

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    A raise of 10c per game is nothing even in a bad economic situation in most countries. You still get amazing value for money, the change from 59p to 69p the other year wasnt a huge upset.

Games are still sooooo cheap

7. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Maybe it has something to do with the value of European currency... isn't it worth a bit less now, so the prices would have to go up to compensate?

8. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    yes, it's probably because of currency conversion.

9. Kafu

Kafu Well-Known Member

10. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    In addition to that, several EU countries raised their VAT rates. I think both played their part.

11. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Seriously, this is still less than a French "baguette" or a cup of coffee in a bar. Get serious, this will have absolutely no impact on sales, we will just get a bit more royalties from Europe.

JC

12. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Not at all, it is still pretty high compare to the $ unfortunately. Being paid in $, I have to convert it to euros... and that always a sad thing to do. In the last 5 years, the $ hardly went above 0.8 euros:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=USDEUR=X&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=
    To give you an idea of how high the euro is compare to the $, when the euro was created, it was $1 = 1 euros.

JC

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Remember that the taxes are already included in the 0.89€ in most countries in Europe. Should be always around 15-20% taxes.

14. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    I know :)
    In France that's 19.6% and it will probably get increased. But if Apple increase the selling price, our shares will automatically increase too.

JC

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yes, as I stated in the other thread. Was about time, even if it is not that much. Since tax is roughly 20% and Apple takes another 30%, revenue for the devs is 5 Eurocent more per unit sold. Unless you're working with a publisher. ;)
    Taxes in Germany are 19%, btw.

16. Hercule

Dec 16, 2010
    Apple is in Luxembourg (the country), so the actual taxe is 15% for europe. (until 2015 when law will change)

17. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    It doesn't work like that. It doesn't matter where Apple is located... when they sale a game at 89c to French people (for example), they HAVE to pay 19.6% in tax to the French tax organization.

They are in Luxembourg because it is a fiscal paradise in Europe... They don't pay (or very little I don't know) tax on their benefits.

JC

18. Hercule

Dec 16, 2010
    No, that's a special trick on virtual goods and only with Luxembourg.
    Many website talked about it.
    In French:
    http://www.mac4ever.com/actu/53213_bientot-la-fin-du-lux-pour-apple

19. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    Nope. For all EU sales, you only pay 15% VAT in Luxembourg.

20. bladko

bladko Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    i wonder how Apple would look like if he would have to pay taxes as any other company not by being in Luxembourg ...