iPad Battle for Wesnoth Episode 5: The Dark Hordes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kyle Poole, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I have to say that the one thing that really dampens my enjoyment of Wesnoth is that if high-level units die they are gone forever.
    This favors a very cautious and methodical gameplay style, which gets tiresome after a while. Where are my dashing gambles and deperate last stands that manage to turn the tide at the last moment, with just a couple of units still standing?

I would kill for a real SRPG in Wesnoth engine with:

4 item slots like in the Shining Force - weapon, ring (with secondary active powers use of which can destroy it), consumables.

A way to not lose a killed advanced unit forever. Maybe an item that whisks it away from the battlefield when it is about to get killed? This would provide an interesting choice - which units to provide with such rare and costly items? Not to mention that one slot for consumables would have to be sacrificed to carry it.

More levels for units - not going overboard, but 5-8 levels would be nice. Also more choices during the levelling (like minor stat improvements) would be welcome.

Further developement of the awesome and as far as I know unique system of upgrading certain initially run-of the-mill units of appropriate type and level to the speaking roles, with possibility of them becoming actual supporting hero units, tied into the storyline.

Oh, and possibility of chosing the gender of the main hero would be very welcome too.

A pipe dream, I know, but Wesnoth is an open source project, so maybe not wholly impossible?

2. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008

Removing the permanent death of hero characters would massively alter the balance of the game.

3. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    #383 Faeryan, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    Well spoken, for the most part.
    I've seen a few campaigns where a seemingly unimportant soldier becomes part of the plot. I guess that's just the game picking a random soldier from your ranks (ie. randomizes one name) but it really livens the story.

About the gender thing: When reading a book do you wish you could switch the main characters' genders? This is pretty much the same thing. Generally in games it's nice to affect the gender of your character I don't see it bringing much extra to this game.

The item thing would be fantastic. There are actually few campaigns where you find items and weapons that you can then equip and benefit from them.
    Also at least one campaign I played allowed the main character to level up several times always gaining new abilities and stuff.
    Basically it's all in the mind of the maker of the campaign. The game engine gives a lot of freedom to campaign developers.

EDIT:
    I can partly agree with what AchillesReborn said but after playing several campaigns I can say I'd prefer to be able to bring back the dead, at least to some extent. Usually when one of my dear fighters gets killed I just reload and replay the scene until I get the outcome where they don't die.
    I know it's kinda like cheating but that's my choice and that's how I pefer to play my game.

4. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I so hope the sale will last for few more days at least. Got to save for a gc. Spent my last 0.99 on a guitar app. :(

5. bloodyparrot

bloodyparrot Active Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Its a nice request...playable on iOS is not totally a pipe dream...but its pretty unlikely.
    To tell the truth, that Tactics Ogre is being refurbished and remade is itself a huge (but welcome) surprise. The company didn't touch the property for almost a decade and all of a sudden *WHAM BAM* "we're dusting it off and allowing the original makers to refine their vision of the game".

For me, it nearly guarantees I'm gonna buy a PSP =p
    Happy to have FF Tactics (eventually) coming to iOS tho...it may end up the best version if they dont BS with the controls!

...and GO WESNOTH!

6. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Can't believe I bought this game, I'm totally hooked now!

7. bloodyparrot

Apr 28, 2010
    Welcome to Wesnoth =)

8. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Well, since you ask - yes. There aren't nearly enough good heroines around and it gets kind of boring with all those endless boys/men ;). And also, some of the best WRPGs - like Bioware games, Fallout series, did and do allow you to chose gender and IMHO it makes them much more enjoyable.

Yes, but IIRC those items are permanent upgrades, not something like RPG equipment that can be transferred to other characters. And there are no consumables either.

And yes, the heroes can level up, but IIRC most only have 3 levels that really make a difference and the player cannot influence their development in any way. I miss 3 -5 extra levels there and some flexibility...

But is it really cheating? IIRC in some scenarios certain advanced units are pretty much necessary to progress, so if you lose them you'll end up re-playing the previous scenario anyway, after you hit the wall.

While I enjoy very much that units and gold are inherited throughout all the scenarios of the same campaign, I really miss the freedom of taking risks and of the last-second triumphs that games like Reign of Swords or The Shining Force provide.
    IMHO, limited protection from permanent death for high-level units would alleviate these concerns.

9. Link6746

Link6746 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Berserker (RAAAAARRRGH!)
    Saint Joseph's Hospital, Mental Ward (Long Term Gu
    I think a framerate cap of 30 would keep me playing all day thanks to the battery life being further improved.
    15 doubly so as 30 would be excessive for wesnoth.

10. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    The standard price of the app is $4.99. The sale price of the app is 99ยข. Retina support would be nice at any price. Heck, I'd pay $10 for an 'HD' re-release on 4G devices.

11. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    I bought iPhone version first, and the game is too damn good that I bought the iPad version just to help devs, because I dont have an iPad.

12. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    You realize you can gift it too right? ( not that I'm asking for it I already have it)

13. Bought this as I wanted a change of game. I was never a fan of Advance Wars or the like but this game has something else about it.

In Advance Wars, you create units from factories and look at all their stats and send em to attack enemies etc
    In Rogue planet, you do some complex stuff (I don't remember, got it free and deleted later)
    In Battle for Wesnoth, your units can be created at one 'home base'...

Why is this tiny change such a dramatic thing for me? Instead of growing bored of the game, I'm actually liking it more than many other TBS games.

Edit: Admittedly I just played a Skirmish then went straight to Oooooooooze Awakening.... I knew all the controls from the start somehow. No tutorial needed for me.

14. bloodyparrot

Apr 28, 2010
    You, Sir, are a gentlemen and a gamer.

15. bloodyparrot

Apr 28, 2010
    Hmmm...I am not pupu-ing on any dreams here, but wouldn't that be counter to risk taking?
    Since in essence you would be removing or heavily assuaging the risk of losing your unit in the midst of your tactics.
    I can understand what you guys say as I often play the same way...that is treat my units like the folks in Fire Emblem.
    At the end o the day however I think it comes down to play style...I don't think most units are irreplaceable in the scheme of overcoming most any scenario and strong tactics generally suffice the best at protecting your mini champions.

....all of this doesn't make it any easier to swallow when you lose your kick-ass Assassin defending a castle and two puny orc grunts REFUSE to miss with their crappy arrows at night =(

16. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    hint hint. <pointing to self>
    hahaha..just kidding. I often do that too ie. buying multiple copies of the same thing. In fact I just bought 6 copies of a particular album...no wonder I am broke. :rolleyes: I think this is called rushing the chart.

17. bloodyparrot

Apr 28, 2010
    OK, so now you can listen at home, listen at school, listen in the bathroom, listen in the car, listen in the OTHER bathroom....but WHAT THE HECK WAS THE SIXTH ONE FOR???:confused:

18. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    uh...christmas came early for you? ;) Could you believe that out of the 6, I got 5 autographed? :eek: Come to think of it, perhaps I did went overboard...

19. bloodyparrot

Apr 28, 2010

Well, as long as they're autographed :p

Anyways, that Wesnoth, man I love that art. I played an earlier version some years ago for before the Wesnoth Project's more recent movement to unify the general art style and man those (volunteer) artists created a rich look!

20. Shatner's hairpiece

Shatner's hairpiece Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I'm on 3rd scenario. Turn 29. I really like the game but it crashes a lot, and load times are ridiculous. Usually around two minutes to load a save. Also, the AI turn is taking quite a long time.

Question: My priest is diseased. How do I cure him? He cures everyone else, but I have no idea how to heal him. He is currently at one health, but refuses to die. Why?