Join the Nuclear Destruction Open Beta

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Code-Monkeys, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Hi Touch Arcade,

The game is simple:
    • Build Nuclear Missiles
    • Nuke Friends and enemies
    • ...that's really about it

Our idea is this:
    • Go to http://new.code-monkeys.com/nd
    • Enter the promo code: TchArc11985 and get Get 100 Free credits
    • Beat the tar out of the system and tell us about any bugs you find or how we can make it better.

Still Interested?

We've been working on bringing this old school play-by-mail(PBM) game called Nuclear Destruction to the iPhone and iPad and we just started our open beta period to bang the kinks out - and we could use your help.
    [​IMG]

This game is a tongue-in-cheeck look at the war-craziness of teh 50's and the original (in PBM form) has been played constantly for over 40 YEARS! and is still a huge hit at card and board game conferences. We're excited to see it being updated for today.

[​IMG]

This is a turn based game played with other people, against AIs, or a mix of both.
    [​IMG]

We'll be launching this on iPhone and iPad when the beta closes and we feel like the engine is solid. After that, we'll be planning on expanding since the game is basically all web-based but one thing at a time.

There are more screenshots of the game here if you want them: http://new.code-monkeys.com/pbw_portal/about_nd.cfm
    Just be advised - this IS a beta. Thee are bound to be some bugs and you should know that going in. We previewed this thing at PAX over the weekend and it's already brought up a series of things that needed to be reworked or fixed - this will be beta 1.2 if you will.

2. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Code Monkeys, like that well known t.v. show Code Monkeys?

3. Max_TO

Max_TO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Sounds interesting !

4. Ha! I'm sure nobody will believe this but Code-Monkeys was incorporated back in 2000 or something when the term was still an insiders jab inside IT departments - but yes, the name is just like the TV show and that AWESOME song from John Coulton.

5. Garbagemaster

Garbagemaster Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    How similar is this to the classic "Nuclear War" card game? Count me in, especially if it's planned for online multiplayer! :)

6. Nuclear Destruction is Flying Buffalo's play by mail game. It has a lot in common with their card game Nuclear War but they aren't exactly the same.

That said, if we get any traction on this game here (read: make any money) we're hoping to port several FB games to this platform. :D

7. Oh - and I forgot to answer your other question. It is definitely made for on-line multiplayer. Its the human element that makes the game really fun. Yeah, we added some AI so people could play alone if they wanted to but really its the alliances and backstabbing that adds zest.

8. Garbagemaster

Garbagemaster Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Sounds great:) Put me down as "insta-buy"

9. Shooks

Shooks Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    So yhea, don't try accessing game when not using an ipod, wont work... Don't even try registering, looks good though. ill be sure to try it when I get home. :D

10. Hey Shooks - so are you saying you found a bug...in your browser? We're playing it here via browsers on desktops, the iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad.

It would mean a lot to me if you could tell me what you're seeing (or not seeing) since that's what beta is all about.
    :eek:

11. The art guys just posted a new screen mockup - thought you all might like to see it.
    This is where you determine what your factories will be working on in the next turn.
    [​IMG]

12. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    #12 randomdude, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
    Nvm wrong info

13. Hi randomdude, I got an email from this thread where a whole slew of error data was pasted in. But when I came here...it's gone.

Do you think it was some kind of glitch?

14. randomdude

Mar 21, 2009
    Most likely. Account was made but still. It must have been a glitch. I made it on an iPad

15. Shooks

Shooks Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    #15 Shooks, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
    Sorry for not posting my bug. Thought you guys would be trying it on iDevices. Anyways, it says me account was made. Ill try finding the bug again...

-Edit-

Ok, here we go, same one as last time. Used my other e-mail this time to see if it would work.

[​IMG]

Hope that helps!

It does seem to register you however, and now I have two accounts -.-

16. Thanks a lot Shooks. This seems to be some kind of on-again/off-again thing that's been difficult to pin down but this will help a lot.

Thanks for going the extra mile!

17. Thought I'd add a quick note here since there seems to be confusion on a significant point inside the game: the proxy countries are not 'bad guys' in any sense. They are the countries that you want to bribe so they will take your side when war eventually comes. :)

18. Shooks

Shooks Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    You should also go more in-depth to what each option when creating a game is, frankly I don't know what blitz mode is or means :(

Other than that game looks great :D

P.S. Can you delete the account associated with [email protected]

19. randomdude

Mar 21, 2009
    The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
    Please contact the website administrator.

The following information is meant for the website developer for debugging purposes.
    Error Occurred While Processing Request
    File not found: /pbw_portal/login/index.cfm

Resources:
    Enable Robust Exception Information to provide greater detail about the source of errors. In the Administrator, click Debugging & Logging > Debugging Settings, and select the Robust Exception Information option.
    Check the ColdFusion documentation to verify that you are using the correct syntax.
    Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your problem.
    Browser** Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10
    Remote Address** 71.129.32.191
    Referrer** http://new.code-monkeys.com/pbw_portal/login/register.cfm
    Date/Time** 09-Sep-10 07:25 PM

Here was my data if it helps

20. Hey folks, especially randomdude and shooks - thanks for your help. I think we found the bug and nailed it. Couldn't have done it without y'all.