iPhone Rolling Doobie [Universal App] [By Xaxist Arts]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by xaxist, Jun 1, 2013.

1. xaxist

xaxist Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Developer
    Nashik, India
    #1 xaxist, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    The game basically is yet another unlimited runner game. But this comes with a spin, almost literally. Instead of scrolling the screen horizontally, the whole screen revolves. Our main aim to introduce the spin off view is to provide players with eye tripping experience.

2. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    I wish this game isn't an usual endless runner game... ;)

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Gonna completely inhale this when I comes out! (cough, cough)

4. xaxist

xaxist Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Developer
    Nashik, India
    #4 xaxist, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    @copaeci - Its just like another unlimited runner but still very interesting since everything REVOLVES at fast pace!
    @bigrand1 - Hehe, the devs have been doing that so far!

5. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Wtf?

Why would anyone bother making a game with such a stupid subject matter? Really??? Rolling Doobie??? I'm embarrassed for the developer. This is just a sad waste of time.

6. Thaumite

Thaumite Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    As harsh as that post is, I agree.
    It's the same as making an endless runner titled "Endless Runner Game", if you don't have an imaginative title that brings people in, make your game filled with iAP so you might be able to get a buck off it when someone does try it.

7. Thaumite

May 15, 2013
    And for the sake of legality, don't release this, it will encourage drug use and et cetera, and the storyline? Never knew people could be so idiotic and messed up.
    I will cross my fingers that I never have to witness this garbage.

8. xaxist

xaxist Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Developer
    Nashik, India
    #8 xaxist, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    @toxicchesse @Thaumite - Glad you took time to comment. As game developers, we would want to express our views through the medium of games. Some people may like it, some may not. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. We take all the feedbacks in constructive ways. Our job is to make games and we will be doing it with all our efforts.

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I'm with you, man! (and you took the high road there---no--I mean yes pun intended) no reason to be so serious, or anal about it. I think it's funny. Can't make EVERYBODY happy all the time. Check it out or don't! I'm going to! Guess some of these simpletons think you'll be a murderer if you play violent games, too. Please!! (yawning) ;)

10. finefin

finefin Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2010
    programmer, designer
    Berlin
    I really hope Apple approves this because it really looks nice so far. I enjoy endless runners as long as they are done right and this looks like something really funnny could happen. So I give it a thumbs up !

11. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Yes, there is a lot of stupid stuff on the app store, but just because you can make something stupid, doesn't mean that you should! And, why in the world would you "encourage harmless drug use"???

-----
    Game Story - ?????? I'm all for creativity, but this is just juvenile...

Doobie is a shabby hipster who never cleans his bongs. Bongdroids from planet Bongetron take this as personal insult and they complain to King Bongdroid about this. King Bongdroid gives orders to catch Doobie from planet earth. Bongships takes off to planet earth to catch Doobie. The chase begins!
    -----

Really??? The dev already admitted to smoking weed, why would I encourage something illegal? And why would i give them money... how do I know it won't be helping support a drug habit?

12. Thaumite

May 15, 2013
    I see nothing wrong with saying "It's bad to make a game that encourages drug use" the place I live in has laws against drugs! Plus, how do we know he won't just use the money he earns for drugs, then go on to more dangerous drugs, like meth?
    And I see you doggin' on everyone with a different opinion to yours, Midian. Learn to take an opinion, or leave.

13. xaxist

xaxist Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Developer
    Nashik, India
    #13 xaxist, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
    We had put the game idea here on the forum to know what people think about it. So far, we got mixed reactions. Some people love it, some don't. We know that we will get more such reactions in coming days and even when we thought of making this game, we knew this already. We are also aware of the fact that, Apple might reject this game as it has a strong subject though we have taken good care to show portray everything in best possible ways. We have put good amount of efforts to make this game happen. And we are here to take our chances, and comments like these are going to keep us motivated to pour more efforts and bring this title as soon and as good as we can.

14. marzdh

marzdh New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Game Developer
    @xaxist

Couple of thoughts on the game idea you shared.

I think the very fact that you have mentioned that the game is "yet another endless runner" means that you agree that you are following the crowd. However, on saying that, it is fine to have an idea similar to someone else's as long as you are innovating and adding a lot more to the game mechanics than just a story change.

The game idea really does not go down well. Honestly I really don't think I understood the story and I'm sure there are many like me who don't or wouldn't in the future. Although story takes a low position in a casual game success, while marketing it you may need to still talk about it so it's best to refine it based on feedback you've got so far.

Finally, violence/killing for some reason has been accepted in games till date. Although there is a section today that debates on the negative effects it's been having on human psychic owing to the violence cases all over the world, any game involving substance abuse may not go down well too, even in good humor.

Just my two cents!

15. xaxist

xaxist Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Developer
    Nashik, India
    Our team had a discussion about the game story after your comments. The fact that you didn't understand the story in first place has got us thinking now. Same thing might happen with masses. We will be brainstorming more for new ideas in coming days. Thanks for your valuable inputs and really appreciate your way of giving your opinion.

16. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

As important as the story is, you'll need something fresh for the gameplay, otherwise you'll just be another endless runner going down into the abyss of the app store.

So, you need a mechanic that sets it apart. As far as the story goes, I wouldn't download a game with that description. That's just me. I won't knock you for it, but it's just a little too "in your face" with the drug reference.

Making the hero a pot-smoking hipster as 'backstory' is fine, but centering the entire thing around bongs - well, you're alienating many people AND age groups where you really don't need to.

Good luck in whichever direction you take it though.

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    To be fair, I'd be willing to bet a few developers behind those "gun construction" apps have used their profits to fund their gun-collecting. Now there's something worth criminalizing.