Dual Stick Shooter MMO Ideas

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cubytes, Jan 19, 2010.

1. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Dual Stick Shooter MMO Ideas

4 Modes:

1) Character Creation

2) Quests

3) Vs

4) Store

Character Creation & Customization:

This is the mode where you create and customize characters.

Create:
    -choose a class
    -choose gender

Customize:
    -change the look of the character
    -purchase outfits & accesories
    -all aesthetic no effect on gameplay
    -change gear (gun/armor has effect on gameplay)

Its important to point out that character customization can only be done from this mode, as in once you start playing a quest or a Vs match you can not change your character until you exit the quest or match and return to the main menu and access the character creating & customization mode. There is levels, and you can customize your gear but thats it.

As you level up your character runs faster, gets more HP, learns new limit breaks ect.....

Quests:

There is no open world in fact the focus is on quick action with an emphasis on diversity and tons of replay value. In this game you dont have to roam an open world to find a NPC quest giver. Instead the quests will be presented to you from a list where you can choose which quest to play and jump right into the action. There is two types of quests:

1) Single player -- offline
    2) Multi player -- online

The Single player -- offline quests play out like that of single player campaigns; very scripted and very linear. However its presented more like an arcade game where each quest is a new level and you can replay levels many times as you want but the actual gameplay experience in more in line with that of a campaign focusing on depth and evolving storylines. The types of quests will be different then typical MMO quests. They will focus more on being almost like short story/games/campaigns within itself kinda like these quests are legends or tales of your characters many heroic exploits from the past being told to kids in the present.

The Multi player -- online quests will only be avialable when a good wifi or 3G connection is established. They will focus on cooperative gameplay mostly revolving around just combat like lobbies of L2D campaigns not very scripted but linear and very fun due to many variables changing from one match to another thanks to the AI director. I want to apply this same concept to
    cooperative quests retain the same flexibility but establish episodic content revolving around these quests.

Vs Mode:

This mode will focus on P2P combat.

Different modes and variants:
    -1v1 is a quick one on one match
    -deathmatch
    -teamdeathmatch
    -other variants that fit with game art style and atmosphere
    -ect

Store Mode

In app purchases of:

-new quests
    -use money collected in game to buy new outfits accessories and gear

Combat & Gameplay

-all ranged combat like a dual stick shooter
    -perspective and design similar to minigore but with more detailed areas and multiple areas to explore in each quest
    -treasure chest, secret areas in quests
    -controls basically the same as minigore or any dual stick shooter
    -double tap on right virtual wheel to hop, roll or dodge incoming fire
    -items powerups are dropped and found in treasure chests
    -each class has its own unique loadouts
    -as you take enough damage you begin to glow or get pissed off and a button will appear top right tap it to unleash limit break move
    -enemies/monsters drop money, and power ups on occasion

The idea is to take a dual stick shooter like minigore for instance and turn it into an MMO. The focus is on creating campaign like gameplay experiences for quests both single and multi player not arcade like gameplay experiences. In the single player quests theres a story, events taking place, stuff going on, ppl to talk to, houses to go into, areas to explore, events and scenes being acted out in the area on the game engine, comic or slide show cutscenes, your character will make humorous and contextual comments and of course lots of puzzles. The areas themselves will be more detailed with more monsters/enemies and you can go from one area to the next most of the time unless you path is blocked and you have to have solve a puzzle or complete an objective or something.

Quest example:

one of the quests could be that your character is a retired mercenary and trying to live a simple life off the grid, you enter the game your character gets ambushed and finds out theres a bounty out for him. Your character then has to get back into being a mercenary and then track down the guy or ppl who put the bounty out. Nothing epic or mystifying just simple stories that are easy to follow and mostly for deposition there could be some background or history as to why the guy put a bounty out for your character like because of a job your character did in the past and stuff like that.

A multi player coop quest example:

These will be very generic anyways; and can be as simple as there is a new crime boss on the lose and a secret organization has assembled the best team of mercenaries from around the world to take him out.

i think something like this would be "doable" for smaller game devs/publishers and sell like crazy because the dual stick genre is very well established on the iphone and its just screaming for multi player and campaign like gameplay experience.

what do you guys think?

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Unless it has a story that compares to Uncharted 2, I refuse to give them my 99c.

3. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I'd love something like this. It would HAVE to have an offline component though, there are many times when I have no access to WiFi. Other than that, I'd love this. Only other requirement: Must be in 3D. Idk why, I'm just a bit tired of 2D dual stick shooters. Unless something awesome comes out that's a 2d dual stick shooter, I'm making Dawn of the Dead my last one. I only have 2 that are in any form of 3d: Minigore and 7 Days Apocalypse: ZombieHunter. And both are awesome.

4. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    No 3D. It'd just be awkward and unattractive. Something along the lines of Star Trek DAC (only not as bad) would be great.

5. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    :rolleyes: Thats a big quote...

6. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Lol, whoops. I try not to quote long things, just messed up that time. My bad.

And I actually think, if done right, 3d could look pretty awesome in this game. Just look at the others who have done 3D and see what I mean.

7. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    Sure, it'll look fine, but if you're dead-set on making an MMO, there's two major cons to that.

1) Not only do you have to render your own ship (which will most likely be customizable), but tons of other player's ships. And along with that, the iDevice has to keep track of where every single one is at the same time and display it appropriately. It's incredibly taxing on the device. Not only are the graphics gonna suffer on 1st and 2nd generation machines, it's gonna burn through their battery like a California wildfire. The 3GS and 3rd generation iPods will last maybe 15 minutes longer. So graphics quality and battery life are both at stake when you choose to go 3D.

8. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Ohh... good point. Yeah, keep it 2d. It would definetly be way too much on the system to be able to try to render each 3d object.

9. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    -yea 2D top down perspective
    -story starts off simple but evolves and gets more interesting as you progress
    -episodic content revolving around new quests both single and co-op pushed to the device via in app purchases
    -multi player is kinda like a Star Trek DAC all about power ups and using limit breakers
    -has to be fast paced
    -there can be vehicles :)
    -multi player and Vs supports local p2p bluetooth, local thru wifi and online game lobbies
    -gear is guns and armor that you buy with money collected in quests
    -you can have a primary and a secondary gun switch by tapping on the top right corner
    -limit break button appears between the two virtual wheels in the center of the bottom of the screen.
    -double tap on right virtual wheel is melee not dodge
    -double tap on left virtual wheel does dodge move
    -instead of HP why not use shields?
    -as you level up your character you unlock new gear maybe move faster
    -quests are to be considered campaigns like games within a game just like L4D

appreciate the feedback guys :)

10. Drkdstoyer

Drkdstoyer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Artist for a developing game
    Tennessee
    PLEASE say you are making this!!! i would love to help in the development to if possible :) I can write a good story and would love to help write a story for a game! This would be awesome!! I hope it happens :D PM me if you want some help :fingerscrossed:

11. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    This is a great idea (email it to yourself for safe keeping, also helps with references during development if you want to stick to the original idea), but it would be tricky mainly because of the multiplayer part. Still, if you had a fairly large team working on it, you could probably pull it off.

12. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    hahaha thinking about it :)

i see great potential in the dual stick shooter genre on the iphone its just screaming for:

-multi player done RIGHT
    -co-op and Vs
    -campaigns; well scripted yet flexible enough for lots of replay value
    -each campaign is like a new game/story/world
    -co-op campaigns
    -def needs vehicles :) melee jacks
    -mounted guns/lasers
    -more then an arcade game

+ Arcade mode basically like the typical dual stick shooter prevalent on the app store; you just run around shooting waves and waves of monsters/enemies

+ Conquest variant in Vs Mode; basically a wifi only variant which puts up to 18 players (assuming the platform is capable) into a sandboxed open world. When you enter conquest mode you are assigned to a faction, the object is to control the world basically a huge territories game but controlling territories has gameplay value meaning you earn hordes of AI NPCs that fight on your side by taking over territories and control points.

so thats:

-Character Creation & Customization Mode
    -Campaign Mode
    -Vs mode
    -Arcade Mode
    -Store Mode

Store will be used to push new campaigns & new variants thru in app purchases, and used to purchase new gear and outfits with money collected in game.

quests:

can be anything an everything as long as its a consistent genre across all campaigns; take sci fi and stick with it or take a more mythological approach and stick with it it doesn't matter we can tweak the system to fit the genre once we have come to a conclusion.

sci fi?
    mythological?

dont focus on lore there is no lore its all about flexibility and variables if you want replay value; focus on cinematic scripted game play experiences presented thru a dual stick top down 2D engine most likely cell shaded :)

oh and guess what wouldn't it be cool if you could import your additional characters into the campaigns to take up roles of would be friends and foes........

13. Drkdstoyer

Dec 11, 2009
    Tennessee
    I think that the best genre would be scifi but not to much so. Make it like mostly on a planet or in a ship, not flying ships in space. Make it dedicated to the ground combat even when driving vehicles :) I think this game could easily sell a million copies in a day of made and executed right! I hope someone makes it happen!!

14. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

I WANT IT!

it's a really cool idea and it's adding two of my favourite things on the iphone ipod touch together:

-DUAL STICK SHOOTING!!
    -ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!!

15. Bdragonst

Bdragonst Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    i want a 2.5D over 3D .... 3D games usually drain battery pretty quick lol..

16. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    sci fi is chill

With sci fi you can do all kinds of interesting things with guns & gadgets and vehicles, lots of flexibility for enemy/monsters types and classes :)

17. Drkdstoyer

Dec 11, 2009
    Tennessee
    Thats right :D and there are plenty of story options :D

18. agssga

agssga Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    MECHS!!!!
    A GAME LIKE THIS NEEDS MECHS!!!
    DIFFRENT GUNS AND ARMOR AND PAINTJOBS AND A LASERS!!!!!

seriously though would love to see a game like the one your describing with cartoony minigore-style mecha running around:D

19. Drkdstoyer

Dec 11, 2009
    Tennessee
    Go to the planetside MMOFPS for the PC i think the weapons and armor and other stuff that would be cool in this game :)

20. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    So... Minigore is awkward and unnatractive to you?