Universal Galaxy on Fire 2 (FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Ashraam

Ashraam Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    France
    Same problem here, with Iphone 3GS (firmware 4.1, not jailbroken).

And I reboot my Iphone too ;)

2. Slayniac

Slayniac Active Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Germany
    Try setting your iOS to English, then start the game and choose your desired ingame language. Then close the app and set your preferred iOS language again.

3. Ashraam

Ashraam Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    France
    Thanks a lot, it works for me.

Btw I think it will be ok for Baalim too :p

4. Baalim

Baalim Well-Known Member

May 8, 2010
    Thanks for that swift answer ;)
    I'll try this as soon as possible.

5. benj

benj Member

Sep 3, 2009
    i'm seriously loving this. best game i've had on the iphone, since doom classic anyway :D

6. tonyatf

tonyatf Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Cambridge
    Dear Fishlabs

First I want to say that Galaxy on fire 2 is such an amazing addicting game that I contiune to play even after beating the story however i wanted to ask a question about future updates. In a future update will there be an option to use the ipod touch or iphone as a controller and use the ipad as the screen after universal support is updated in the game?

Thanks

7. meatz666

meatz666 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Software Developer
    Aberdeen/Scotland/UK
    LOL...
    Isn't easier (and cheaper) to buy a PC and Freelancer?
    Don't get me wrong, but the image of someone wiring up 1100 pounds worth of hardware to play a game is kinda funny...lol
    Don't take it personal..

There are other games with this feature?

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I've been waiting to get an iTunes gift card to get this game, but after reading some of this thread, I'm not sure it's for me. Overall, it seems like people are in it more for the trading/collecting and not the combat due to the weak controls.

I'm not really into the whole trading/collecting thing...partly due to having to play games in short time periods. I'm more about the action. What is a better alternative as far as space combat is concerned?

9. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    The controls are only weak if you have a weak ship. If you have a ship with good handling and guns, the controls are great, and the combat is very exciting.

Sounds like you'd rather play something like Star Battalion. But be warned, that game may have the action, but it isn't nearly as original or as deep as Galaxy on Fire 2.

10. tonyatf

Jun 28, 2009
    Cambridge
    #1010 tonyatf, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
    The Incident was just upgraded with this feature.

[​IMG]

11. tonyatf

Jun 28, 2009
    Cambridge
    then you would like Star Battalion

12. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    star batallion is on my appshopper list, for the day it supports ipad graphics.

13. tonyatf

Jun 28, 2009
    Cambridge
    knowing gameloft they might not even upgrade the game to work with the ipad but rather come out with an HD version you have to buy again.

14. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    which is why i won't buy up front, unlike this game. i have an ipod touch in addition to the ipad, but honestly, after tasting ipad gaming, i never want to go back to the ipod. the ipad makes the ipod feel like trying to do finger touch gaming on a nintendo ds screen.

15. magnum_2107

magnum_2107 Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Thanks. I bought the Mantis but didn't care for it visually, so I "downgraded" to the Aegir. Beautiful indeed. I have plenty of cash so if I need to move back up to the Mantis I will.

16. magnum_2107

magnum_2107 Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    #1016 magnum_2107, Nov 10, 2010
    Star Battalion would be good for you, but I should note that it doesn't seem to include mid-level saving which might be a hindrance to you if you prefer playing in short bursts. There are checkpoints but if you quit the App and come back you have to replay the entire mission, at least that's what happened to me. They range from 10-15 minutes each.

I also like playing in short bursts, which actually makes Galaxy of Fire 2 better for me than Star Battalion, since you can finish missions in just a few minutes and are plenty of save opportunities.

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #1017 Ayjona, Nov 10, 2010
    It is such a shame that GoF 2 does not feature Star Battalion-worthy combat (or any kind of sophisticated, more complex, more intricate and challenging combat, preferably more so than Star Battalion as well), since that seems to be just about the ONLY recurring complaint.

Oh, I enjoy GoF 2's battles, but they are rarely the least bit challenging, even on hard, and I constantly wish for something closer to [your choice of space simulation], with far more in-depth and sophisticated combat mechanics.

Well, it does say something for this game that it is still among the best iOS titles I've ever played.

To respond to your original query ;) , it is possible (albeit unlikely) that StarPagga might be something for you. A rather unpolished title, and some peculiarities with the flight model, but the combat mechanics are at least a tad more advanced.

Other than that, and the woefully inadequate Star Battalion (very short game, and silly auto-targeting that lessens my enjoyment of the otherwise splendid combat mechanics), I don't know of any other even remotely competent space shooters for iOS.

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for all the responses. I've played StarPegga as well as the original GoF, and have to say that enjoyed GoF more even though there wasn't much of a story. That said, I didn't find either one of them to be "great" space shooters and had hoped that GoF 2 would have improved on this aspect and was originally really looking forward to it.

However, I haven't really gotten into some of the other collecting/trading/mining games on the iOS so it concerned me to be reading that that seemed to be where much of the focus went to on GoF 2.

I still might get it, but am on the fence with it and Star Battalion. Wish there were more options or hidden gems that I wasn't aware of.

19. qilto

qilto Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Please, does anyone know where the Fluxed Matter Shield is? I've looked everywhere for it.

20. tonyatf

Jun 28, 2009
    Cambridge
    Just buy both games. It's less than 20 bucks for both of them. Be glad you don't have to buy 60 dollar games for the iPhone. I used to have a hangup about buying apps and games that was more than 99 cents but would buy 2-3 new ps3 games which rang up more than 100 bucks. Now if the game is worth it on iTunes I am just going to buy it.