Setting up your Apple Developer account questions

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by WolfgangK, Dec 28, 2012.

1. WolfgangK

WolfgangK Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Hey all, looking for some advice on setting up my Apple Developer profile(using my current Apple ID).

I'd set up an LLC to develop and release games under, but when I try to set up my developer profile the Apple site doesn't let me because my D&B business # is invalid or something, even though I received it from D&B and seems to be official.

The Apple site says you should just set up your profile as a personal account if you're a one-man shop, but I'd intended to set it up as a business to keep all my efforts on the App store legally protected(or not expose my family/personal business), etc.

How have others here done it? Do I need to call D&B and sort out why my LLC is not recognized as a proper entity in the eyes of Apple?

Thanks for any input you might have!

2. tofusoup

tofusoup Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    #2 tofusoup, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    I'm not 100% sure if there is such a thing as a DBA #. That's just a form you submit to tell your local city you're doing business in that city using this business name.

What you might be looking for is a Federal Tax ID

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Taxpayer-Identification-Numbers-%28TIN%29

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/moneymatters/a/taxidhowtoget.htm

It's been awhile since I set up my developer account at Apple so I have no clue if they made changes. I remember I had to call them, and fax over all my paperwork. It then took a week or two for them to approve me as a business.

3. MarcJay

MarcJay Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    California
    Tofusoup is correct. You need to get an EIN number at IRS.gov once you set up your LLC. Not sure if you mean Dun and Bradstreet number, but that won't work. Your company's EIN (employer identification number) is like an individual's social security number; just a unique identifier. Having the Certificate from the Sec of State where you set up the LLC plus the EIN number allows you to open a bank account in the company's name, which you'll then need to provide to Apple as well. Good luck!

4. WolfgangK

WolfgangK Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Thanks much for the replies. That makes total sense. I had not taken the step of getting the tax ID number, and was confused by Apple's seeming implication that I get the Dunn & Bradstreet number—I thought that was what they were looking for in that instance.

Thanks again!