Project Alien Nightmares

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kmonkey, Feb 28, 2014.

1. kmonkey

kmonkey Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Name: Project Alien Nightmares (TBC)
    Genre: Sci-Fi Horror
    Release Date: TBD
    Engine: Unity3D
    Platforms: iOS & Android

Since releasing Dungeon Nightmares, I have been busy with 2 projects. I thought this one would be a good one to start talking about to get the community involved as much as possible while developing it :)

Features:
    - It will be a sci-fi horror game inspired by Alien, Event Horizon and The Thing.
    - Combat-less gameplay
    - Stealth mechanics
    - Light will be very important to the gameplay
    - One Xenomorph creature roaming the levels
    - Fully working Motion Tracker

I've had some experience in making a motion tracker replica which will be an important part of the game (minus the gyroscope implementation):

Anyway, here are a few work in progress images and video...

WIP screens:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Idle animation test:
    [​IMG]

Tech demo after 1-2 weeks of work:

Currently it is very early in development and I am still putting together a list of requirements but if you have played Dungeon Nightmares, you will get a good idea of how it will control and the level of horror I want to achieve.

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #2 JCho133, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    Hoooooooooly cow kmonkey I love you! I hope with this one you can improve and put a bigger emphasis on hiding and sticking to the shadows.

Oh my gosh this is f*kin awesome

And the xenomorph won't just be a reskinned Mary I hope?

It's interesting because Alien: Isolation will be coming to consoles and PC soon :p

One last thing: the blips from the motion tracker should slower (like more time in between each blip)

3. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Hey JCho.. we meet again muahahah

Yeah its a new model (as seen in the gif) and fully textured. I am not the greatest modeller so will have to make do with what I can within budget :)

Alien Isolation is something I have my eye on and since I already made a motion tracker app over a year ago, I thought of revisiting this again. I had many people asking me to make a game out of it and I said no to all requests (mostly because it was not what I wanted and secondly, I was not good enough to make games at the time).

After working on Dungeon Nightmares, I am confident that I can finally produce a sci-fi horror game inspired by those movies mentioned above.

As for the blips, the topic about speed and pitch of sound will always be worked on and trust me... this always goes in circles :p everyone has their memory slightly different to what they remember in the movies ;) I think I got it right in the App but in the game... it was simply dropped in there without too much work on the details.

If I can, the game will definitely focus on stealth a lot more and the light. The levels themselves will most likely be more hand crafted this time which means more details, more scenes and more timed scares. It will also make more sense considering it takes place on a ship.

4. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I'd love to be part of the beta testing team again like I did for your first game (which I really like by the way). Looks great, reminds me of Alien 2

5. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Of course :) the TA community are great and I had fun last time I did a beta test.

The beta will be a while away though for this one as this project has only just started up!

6. socom39

socom39 Well-Known Member

Im a huge aliens fan, I hope you continue on with this project

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm reluctant to say it..... But I volunteer to beta test again......... :'(

So do you plan on the alien doing some crazy lunges from ceilings and such? And death scenes where we see his double mouths up close? :p

8. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    I intend to, unless outside forces prevent me :)

You don't have a choice.

As for lunges and stuff, it will all be decided on the overall pacing of the game I'm thinking

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh. My. God. DO WANT!

10. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    glad to her you're excited for more scares :D

Theres a lot more to do before you can get your hands on it though!

11. Lowlifemalakye

Lowlifemalakye Active Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Oh hell yeah dude. I'm already sold on this. Loved the last one this looks pretty rad. Let me know if and when you do a beta.

12. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Looks amazing!

So how does beta testing work? I know what it is, but how does it work?

13. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    I will roll out a beta once in a while on testflight when it's ready and anyone on the beta list will get to play it. A good start for you is to get on testflight and make an account and pair up any iOS device you have that will be used for testing (ideally a device that has the access to the email inbox you sign up with).

14. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    UPDATE for 05/03/2014

WIP animation

[​IMG]

15. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Are you not worried that your stealing assets from a major franchise? Your models and names are far to close the originals. Im assuming you don't have a licence from fox?

16. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    it's a personal project to be honest and I don't intend to keep the xenomorph model in the final game (just used for visualization). Same with the music.

The levels themselves will be inspired by several movies including Alien though.

All of this is far from finished and I have a lot of placeholder stuff in there mainly to give me a good idea of how it would look like :)

17. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Cool just checking, did not want to see you spend hours on models you have to take out. Will this be random level generation or more fixed?

18. kmonkey

Feb 1, 2013
    Developer
    Thanks for checking up on other indie devs :D this is a side project that I thought would be cool as a concept that I want to share (sci-fi horror nightmare).

For this game I intend to make it more fixed at the moment since it will fit the structure better (if it ends up being played out on a ship).

However, because this project is so early, this might even end up being a "nightmare" in the way Dungeon Nightmares is... which frees me up to do whatever I want :D

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    *Gulp*

And that's quite the awesome animation you got there mr ;)

20. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    OMG!! Looks great and very atmospheric already... Love it!
    I'm also a huge Alien fan