The Pet Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Jan 15, 2013.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I grew up with cats. Arthur was the best cat there ever was. I miss him. Unfortunately my youngest son is allergic to cats and dogs, but especially cats, so no cats for us. Which is really a shame because he loves cats and dogs.

2. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I have 4 dogs and 3 cats. Cats are way smarter, and are better companions.

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Dogs>Cats. End of discussion.

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Dogs are more loyal. And they're very social.

My granddad's dog saved his life yesterday. He was lying in sauna(he did turn it off and it was only like 50 Celsius) and he somehow got his hand stuck under him and he couldn't move it. So basically he stayed there for 11 hours without any sleep, food or liquid and all that time his hand didn't receive any blood, because it was under him and he couldn't move it. If it wasn't for the dog, who started because he wanted to pee and possibly eat(he was stuck from 5pm to 4am so obviously dog has needs), the neighbour wouldn't of waken up and come to rescue. Good thing granddad gave neighbour a key.

After that he was immediately given litre of water and rushed to the hospital and in a couple of hours he had a surgery for the arm. I don't know the terms in English, but it has something to do with kidney, toxicated blood, because of no circulation and you know how arm like dies when it doesn't receive blood.

Dog saved him :) Dogs are the best pets!

5. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Now:
    Two dogs chihuahua/terrier mix (with my parents)
    Two cats maine coon mix
    Two aquatic musk turtles
    Two leopard geckos
    One crested gecko
    One Greek tortoise

Had:
    One crocodile gecko
    One black and green poison dart frog

Had frogs before but they required high maintenance and didn't last very long with me :/ Planning to get an Alaskan Klee Kai husky, gargoyle gecko, viper gecko and an anole...

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    ^thats a lot of pets :eek:

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Sooo...anyone ever had a dog get sprayed by a skunk?

Mine was twice :eek: not pleasant.

8. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    It's true that dogs are more social and loyal. I had a dog once, we sadly had to put him to sleep a few years ago. When I say "we" I mean my parents. They never even told me that they put it to sleep. When I asked "where is Rex?" they just made grim faces. After a week or two I accepted that he's definitely not coming back (I thought he got lost, again or something). I overheard my father once (after some months) how hard it was for him to watch the dog dying when the veterinarian gave him an injection. The dog slowly walked to his feet, looked up and laid on his feet. Since then I always wanted another dog, but my father is against it (now I know why, at least... He wouldn't want to ever watch a dog dying on his feet again), so we got cats. Cats are less social and not that loyal. But they can take better care of themselves than dogs.

R.I.P. Rex.

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #49 JBRUU, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    That's sad. I could never watch my dog die; I'm far to close to her. She literally shadows me around the house 24/7, and if I happen to close a door in her face she'll start whining, howling and bumping the door with her nose.

I think I'd be emotionally devastated for at least a month. It's crazy how close you can get to an animal.

10. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Yep I remember when the time came and Bobo our 19.5year old mutt was finally declining we brought him to the vet to say goodbye. They asked if we wanted to stay during the procedure but we were so broken up we just said fairwell old friend :( Rest in peace Bobo

11. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I could never do that. I'd stay with him till the end. Even if it'd be hard for me. That's the least he deserves.

12. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Well in all fairness me and my brothers were young when this happened and the decision to leave when we did was Dads. Not to worry... I've grown and have had far too many opportunities to learn about deaths bitter sweet journey! We'll always remember our pets but more poignantly our Uncles and friends and .....
    Ok enough about this....

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Everyone's different. I don't want to think about my dog dying. She's only 3 years old anyway. Let's stop talking about this.

@Midian Cute! What breed is it? He (she? couldn't tell) seems to like blankets and string!

14. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Very cute pictures Midian!

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Another pic of Faith snoozing :D

Notice the dog hair on the carpet :mad: :mad:

Attached Files:

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Here's one of her and her oversized ears:

Attached Files:

17. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Cute picture!!
    The bigger the pet- the more the HAIR........

18. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    It's amazing the size of her EARS. She must be very intelligent!

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #60 JBRUU, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    Yes, I used to think that too, until I caught her snacking in the cat's litterbox.

Gives a new meaning to those "kisses" she loves to give. When I see her trotting toward me with cat litter on her nose it's nauseating.