ok the SDK docs are huge which section is a must-read?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by 99c_gamer, May 26, 2009.

1. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I'm thinking I dont have to dig into all of this to write a simple Ap.

Right now I'm lost in the talk about Design Patters. Do I really need to know this?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

3. Dr Ashworth

Dr Ashworth Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Post a link to which one you're talking about.

4. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    It's best to read them all. However, if you don't read everything, the Memory Management tutorial is a MUST. Trust me on this.

You'll also revisit it many times after you finally install your app on the device for the first time, and everything is 100x slower than on the simulator.

5. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I definately didn't read them all. You can learn a lot from these tutorials.

6. sumiguchi

sumiguchi Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Developer (Business Apps)
    Canada
    My game is about 10x faster on the device. The simulator chokes on opengles... maybe its my mac mini?

7. M of IMAK

M of IMAK Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    I would say no. You need to know the HIG, which you can also know by looking at many of the successful games/apps on the store. You also need to know the sample code that is closest to the app you are developing. Read any SDK docs necessary to understand the sample code, and you are on your way.

8. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Those must be really good tutorials because everybody seems to always link to them, I guess I'll have to look into those when I get a Mac.

9. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    The tutorials are free, they explain the concepts, and they include source code. And there are 20+ of them.

10. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Thanks Ive been going through those along with the Stanford podcast and they're both pretty good

I've stopped reading the Docs for now. I think I'm going to just rely on the videos and the help menus in Xcode.

11. DGuy

DGuy Member

May 5, 2009
    I would say:

1) "The Getting Started Videos" to give you a high-level overview of the iPhone OS internal workings.

2) The "iPhone Application Programming Guide". This is a great document which covers many details of app development, plus contains many links to more detailed information about most of the topics discussed.

Both of the above are accessible when you log into the iPhone Dev Center.