Devs, how was your app launch?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Appvism, May 11, 2013.

1. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Question for the devs here...

What one word would you use to describe your opening week sales figure for your game/app? For me: pitiful!

Thanks,

2. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
  3. batgirl717111

batgirl717111 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    app developer & artist
    brooklyn, ny
    Small bump at the beginning, then steadily downwards. Standard launch graph for a new app with no additional advertising/attention. After it got too low I started putting it on more markets, trying to get it attention, reviews, etc, which helped a lot. I've seen it surpass its launch spike several times since it's been out, so your launch spike doesn't always determine the highest sales you'll ever have.

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    One word?

Promising

We're doing a Canadian soft launch of All In (as of Wednesday) and it's been doing great. Absolutely no views on the thread in TA, but it promptly marched its way into the top 50 games.

5. That's really good to hear, the trailer looks great and the game itself looks like a lot of fun.

6. #6 John Francis, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
    That's awesome news as we're porting to everything right now that Unity supports. We had a limited start with a ton of downloads but mediocre sales (so the general downward trend). The game isn't dead yet on iOS but we'ere hoping to generate some buzz with a ton of reviews and hopefully some support from Samsung and the Google Play store.

7. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    I think if we had to use one word to describe our recent launches in one word

OREO: Twist, Lick, Dunk: Good
    Into the Dead: Surprising
    Robot Unicorn Attack 2: Great

I suspect the way our next launch is lining up we hope to be using the word "amazing" after just one week :)

8. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Oh wow - didn't realize the trailer was still accessible.

That's an oldie - we've changed a ton and cleaned up a lot of the screen since then! Thanks for the praise

@PikPok
    Why did Into the Dead surprise you? I love it (one of 2 games on my iPhone home page, right next to Carcassonne)

9. Appvism

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    I won't be surprised, you guys are quite "big" :)

10. skgames

skgames Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2012
    1st day = nervous
    2nd day = relief

11. JamesAtBoxCat

JamesAtBoxCat Active Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Roller coaster Drop

Not one word, but hard to explain it otherwise.

Hey Slipshod! What's up! :D

12. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Was quite a different game than what we had released to date, so we had our expectations in check and suggested internally if it did half as well as OREO we'd be happy. It did about double what OREO managed out of the gate in terms of downloads and revenues.

It has gone on to do well past 10m downloads across iOS and Android now, and revenue wise is already one of our best franchises.

We are very happy, just surprised :)

13. ruka

ruka Active Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Programmer
    Internet
    ^Into the Dead is awesome. Surprised is my reaction too. I don't notice your other games at first, and I'm like, "It's the same dev as the who who did this, that, and that??"

My app lauch is:

First game - Dissapointing
    Second game - Better

Still hoping for the third next week :>

14. Appvism

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    @ruka thanks for sharing! Just wondering, from a marketing/promotion point of view, did you do anything different between your first and second games or do you think the second game did better simply because it was a better/more popular game?...

15. ruka

ruka Active Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Programmer
    Internet
    It's not that different on the marketing/promotional. Both are paid games with discount on the first few weeks. We share promotional codes, sent press release to media, and others. We are also working together with the same publisher for both of them. So yeah, they're almost identical in that aspects.

For the game itself, the first one is PAWS and the second one is Soccer Girl Adventure. Related differences is:
    - The target audience is different.
    - The second game is already released on other platforms before (Windows 8 and BB Appworld), so it is easier to be searched and noticed.
    - The second game is universal, hence more sales.

Based on that, I will go with "the second game is better and more popular".

16. Appvism

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Thanks, appreciate the feedback! And well done on your games! :)