A comment on the Fright Fight article got me thinking....

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MrAlbum, Jun 28, 2013.

1. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Very cool thread MrAlbum
    I got th Eyedea 4rm Alister. How bout making a separate thread including an all ios female character roster? I 4got which game 7 console it wuz, like small characters within a rpg setting.
    Here is sum of my inclusions :

Enborn X
    Samurai Girl

2. pdSlooper

pdSlooper Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    USA
    Unfortunately, LostWinds debuted on WiiWare before iOS... But given that this is just having fun, we can pretend that didn't happen. ;]

Characters can also appear as items (see: Mr. Saturn). The Creeper, or something like him, would make an excellent bomb. You could have Max's Sketchbook randomly generate something from a bank of words (potentially helpful, harmful, or useless). You could throw an egg at someone to have them attacked by a number of little angry red birds...

How about stages? I like the look of the screenshot Mejjos posted earlier. A Scribblenauts theme would be a blast. Although I think a "doodle" themed stage is pretty much mandatory, and those two themes might look too similar. They'd both allow for a lot of leeway in stage design.

3. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Alright, I realized a couple things as I read through the thread:

Non-combat characters are perfectly fine for the core roster. The issue lies in this question: could they defend themselves if they had to? For example, The Bird from Tiny Wings has no defense whatsoever from enemy attackers, so it wouldn't work in the core roster. However, Mikey Shorts could defend himself if he had to. Thus, Mikey Shorts would work in the core roster.

However, does that mean that The Bird would, theoretically, not show up in the game at all?

Of course not. It would be a cameo!

A cameo character would be a character who wouldn't work in the core roster, but who could still make an appearance in the game. For example, the Angry Birds would make for great thrown items, especially Bomb Bird. Heck, the cameos could also occur as part of a stage or level: The Bird could flutter/roll/slide along a Tiny Wings-themed level and knock away players it hits. It could go fast, it could go slow; point is, it would be there.

With all that in mind, I created the following lists. Again, these could be expanded on, especially the cameo characters.

Core Roster:

Barry Steakfries, from Monster Dash/Jetpack Joyride/Age of Zombies.
    The Agent, from League of Evil.
    The Pygmy, from Pocket God.
    Nina, from Supermagical.
    Hardik, from Towelfight 2: The Monocle of Destiny.
    The Scythian, from Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP.
    John Gore, from Minigore.
    Hook Champ, from Hook Champ.
    Lexi, from Mage Gauntlet.
    Velocispider, from Velocispider.
    The Bandit, from Beat Sneak Bandit.
    The Survivor, from Zombieville USA.
    Wimp, from Wimp: Who Stole My Pants?
    Belle, from Project 83113.
    The Spellsword, from Spellsword.
    Cornelius, from Don't Run with a Plasma Sword.
    The Skateboarding Chick, from Cool Pizza.
    Hector, from Hector: Badge of Carnage.
    Max, from Apocalypse Max.
    Horn, from Horn.
    Gizzard, from Escape from Age of Monsters.
    The Robot, from EPOCH.
    Blockman, from The Blocks Cometh.
    Ayden, from Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden.
    Tempus Azure, from Spiral: Episode 1.
    Baron, from Bike Baron.
    John Slade, from Shadowgun.
    Siris/Ausar, from Infinity Blade.
    Jason, from Gangstar Vegas.
    Enviro-Bear, from Enviro-Bear.
    Serenity, from Demon's Score.
    Devil Guy, from Blood Roofs.
    Clive, from Gunman Clive.
    Lili, from Lili.
    Mikey Shorts, from Mikey Shorts.

Cameo Characters:
    Angry Birds, from Angry Birds.
    The Scientist, from League of Evil.
    Om Nom, from Cut the Rope.
    The Doodle Thing, from Doodle Jump.
    Swampy, from Where's My Water?
    The Duck, from Gunman Clive.
    Max, from The Devil's Attorney.
    The Bird, from Tiny Wings.

And, of course, the FINAL BOSS:

Siri, on a giant iPhone.

I couldn't resist, it was such a great suggestion! XD

However, there is one thing that this idea desperately needs:

STAGES.

Stages are tricky, because they need at least one of the following:

1. A unique layout
    2. A central gimmick
    3. Potential hazard(s)

So, the challenge is thus: What stages would fit with this game idea, and what would they be like? Discuss, folks!

And, again, WHY ISN'T GAMELOFT DOING SOMETHING SIMILAR WITH THEIR PROPERTIES?!

*broil*

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

4. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Stage like side scrolling grafitti from Underground?

5. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    #25 Bloko, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    Cool thread! :p Some ideas:

- Frogatto, from Frogatto (would fit really well)
    - The boy from Pizza Boy (throwing soda bottles all around)
    - The blue-haired guy from Swordigo
    - Kairobot, from Kairosoft games (maybe a cameo)
    - Jack from Junk Jack (multi-items character)
    - Joe and Jim, from The Other Brothers (not sure if has been said)
    - Liang, from Waking Mars (alien seeds!)
    - Generalissimo, from Great Big War Game

Stages wouldn't be a big deal. Just bring stages designed like places from every of these games.

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  7. S-Mario

S-Mario Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    Male
    Game Maker
    Hong Kong
    We're (Mooff Games) actually brainstorming our own Smash Brothers style fighting platformer game with some smooth controls/combos and all that stuff we like doing.

This thread got us wondering if any dev out there would be would be interested in letting us use a their character in return for at the very least a mention, credits & extra exposure to their original title(s) in the app store/google play.

It's more of an experiment at this point to see if we can work things out on a small scale, then if it succeeds we can get more people on board perhaps.

We're probably a few months away from getting serious on this project so this is just a testing the water phase

8. kwokx@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Superb Streetfighting Turbo

ok we havent got a name for the game yet but incase anyones interested to let us use their characters then this pic is a feel for the style and concept.

We (Mooff Games) dont have much in the form of credentials but heres a video of our old game Maximus. http://youtu.be/ZeAuwS6hOb4

Attached Files:

9. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Yeeesss!!Finally some-one stepping up to the plate!!Come on indie devs,lets make this happen...

It's also a good means to expand your fan base..:D

10. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    So, Mooff Games, have you made a thread in the Upcoming Games section about this game you're making? If not, I'd recommend getting on that ASAP.

Separate from that, there are some things an SSB-style game has that might help the concept (in no particular order):

1. Varied Level Density.

Levels in SSB are built in a way so that there are a combination of small spaces for intimate one-on-one fights and larger spaces for longer distance sniping within the same level. The Hyrule Castle level in the first SSB is a great example of this design philosophy.

2. Personality.

Every stage must have a "functional gimmick" (a unique level hazard or level mechanic) AND an "aesthetic gimmick" (a unique art style specific to the stage), and no two stages share these gimmicks, even with stages that belong to the same "universe". For example, the Sector Z level in the first SSB is on the Great Fox from Star Fox 64, and has the minimalist, stark beauty of outer space as a backdrop. Every so often, Arwings (spaceships) fly in and try to zap the players. No other stage in the original SSB has those gimmicks.

3. Speed, precision and player reaction.

An SSB-style game is designed to be FAST (yes, capital-letters-level FAST). Controls need to be precise, and the player needs to receive near-instant feedback that what they did has happened.

4. Simple control inputs, different attack outputs.

SSB has always had a standardized set of inputs for their characters: A-button handles basic physical attacks, picks-up-and-throws items, and aerials; B-button handles special attacks; Z-button guards; R-button grabs for throws. A-and-B-button attacks can also be aimed. These are true for every character. There are no "Circle-Punch-Kick-Kick" combos to launch special attacks or abilities. HOWEVER, the same move on one character could do something different on another. For example, again with the first SSB, Samus's up-power-attack does a couple seconds of moderate damage to enemies above her, while Donkey Kong's up-power-attack is one massive-damage clap. Same button input, different output.

I think that a decent control scheme would be: tap-to-move left or right, tap-character-to-pick-up-item, double-tap-enemy-character-to-grab and 1-finger-swipe-to-throw, double-tap-to-dash, 1-finger-swipe for basic attacks/jump/aerials/throwing-items, 2-finger-swipe for power attacks, and 3-finger swipe for specials.

Benefits of this:
    A.) Simple and intuitive to understand
    B.) Attacks can be aimed (VERY IMPORTANT)
    C.) Can be quick to perform
    D.) NO VIRTUAL BUTTON CLUTTER

Drawbacks of this:
    A.) Exhausted fingers (SO. MUCH. SWIPING.)
    B.) Hard to do with fingernails
    C.) Must be able to distinguish fingers for swipes (program must not confuse the 2-finger and 3-finger swipes, and must aim such swipes precisely)
    D.) Probably works better on iPad.

5. Every match is a bonkers king-of-the-hill game in spirit.

What matters in SSB is not whittling your opponent's health to zero; it is a.) avoiding damage, b.) dealing damage when able, and c.) surviving to the end. This is why the only way to die in SSB is to fall off/get punted off the stage. Thus, character balance must also factor in knockback distance for various attacks.

6. Chaos is your friend.

Do not shy away from the hyperbolic. Big, flashy stages with multiple rooms/elements are a staple of later SSB games, and make for an awesome spectacle. Plus, do not be afraid to include overpowered items, as long as they are RARE. The Hammer in SSB is extremely broken, but does not drop often, while Poke balls are a crapshoot, but drop frequently. Go nuts with item variety!

7. Let players tweak multiplayer OUT THE WAZOO.

Let players turn on/off individual items. Enable team battle/free-for-all/timed modes. Let players modify gravity (to a point). Give players the power to create Special Matches with unique initial conditions (Super-jump/Fire-breath/Heavy-Metal/Super-Speed/300%-Damage-Increase/Tiny-Toony/etc....), and let players modify these conditions to their hearts' content.

8. Put the focus on multiplayer over single player.

SSB thrives, pulsates and mutates into something awe-inspiring with multiplayer. If however multiplayer works breaks/doesn't work, then the game will wither and die. At the extreme least, allow for WiFi/Bluetooth multiplayer in case online multiplayer ever goes down.

9. Show as much of the level as possible with the camera.

The camera will zoom out in SSB if players run away from each other, so that players can still see each other to an extent.

Aaaanyway, those are my thoughts on the matter. Hopefully you can use them.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

11. S-Mario

S-Mario Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    Male
    Game Maker
    Hong Kong
    @MrAlbum Wow..that's a GREAT list for us to refer to as we move forward on this, it's still early days we need to see how viable the multiplayer experience is first because like you said, this kind of game thrives on it and if that's not possible then I feel the game wouldn't be worth doing

cheers for that, we'll see what happens

(also my colleague Kwok has just gone to UK with his family for a couple weeks so we're working slower until mid August)