We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Well, the thread makes the same sense as the comments, which were and are moved into it... ;)

This thread was formerly called: "price discussion garbage thread".

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah they needed a more intellectual thread name to confuse people.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Because sometimes complaints about a game's pricing can get out of hand and turn into an entirely different, off-topic discussion or a flame war.

As usual, the Dead Trigger freemium stunt comes to mind.

4. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I see...but the comments that I saw "relegated" to the thread seemed pretty harmless.

I hope a senior member or moderator can clear this up for me.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #2305 JBRUU, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    I am a senior member.

The comments you see are usually the harmless ones, the ones that're particularly off-topic or just baiting are (ideally) deleted.

But pricing doesn't usually get to be a huge topic of conversation anyway, more often people complain that prices on the AppStore are to low for a game of X caliber.

6. http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=52534

Thats the topic where all of the complaining about pricing goes. Pretty much if mods see massive complaining about price-tags, sale prices and arguments around them, they'll send those posts there...or at least that's what I think happens

7. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Yes, I remember hearing something along those lines. I do think we should be allowed to complain about a price if it is too high, I mean seriously this is an app review site. And I'm almost sure the rules do allow such things as complaining too.

8. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Talking about the price of an App is taboo on TouchArcade.

9. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Here's a question, does someone else's opinion on whether a game is worth $1 or $5 really matter?
    If someone wants to give their opinion on a game being too short or ugly or having a poor control scheme, I take that into account. That is information that helps me decide a game is / is not worth my time and money.
    Someone saying this game is too expensive is, in my opinion, a waste of my time.
    I've bought most of the square soft games on the AppStore. People complain every time they release a game that they are too expensive. If that's your opinion, don't buy them. I don't need to hear about it. It clutters up threads with generally useless info. I'd much rather read actual comments on the game itself.

I appreciate a lot of the removals of price debates. Just my thoughts.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

TouchArcade threads typically rank very highly in Google, and App Store pricing is always changing. So, pages and pages of economics arguing the relative worth of $1 and $2 games are largely wasted on people who stumble across a game three months after it came out, as it's potentially on sale or free or whatever. So, we corral all the price posts to a single thread where people can debate to the end of the Earth whether a game is truly worth a dollar.

11. So what happens if the game is worth more than a dollar???

Just kidding!!! ;)

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Then the people will ask if it is really really really worth $3 or $5 or $10 and start comparing it to other games, with ridiculous example sometimes. After that, they'll start posting phrases like "gonna wait for a sale" or "that should be $.99 as the most other AppStore games", which is always a slap in the face of the developers. That's why all that stuff is moved into the that price discussion garbage thread. And honestly, on tA are people of all social structures, from poor to rich. Discussing about prices also makes no sense because of that - while one's single dollar is precious, for another one are $20 next to nothing.

13. At anything over $10, then there is a fairly massive war that ends up going on...lots and lots of burn marks everywhere

14. Ok, ok, how about if it is free???

Just kidding! Haha ;)

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2315 Vovin, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

This would be the only way to satisfy some AppStore customers.
    Of course only if the game has no IAP.
    Maybe one genius will come up with the idea that the devs should pay him for playing the game after that. I wonder why this was never brought up before. ;)

To be serious...the iPhone became my gaming device of choice. I am getting good games for it and only have to pay 10% - 30% compared to the game's prices of other handhelds. What the heck should I complain about? A lot of devs designed really good games, but need things like Kickstarter to fund their new project(s). That's truly sad.

It depressing to see that a lot of good indie devs, which were quite active here in 2009/2010, left the iOS platform because the amount of income doesn't justify the amount of work before.

16. If it's a sale just after it's released, or a freemium turn, then everyone who bought it just complains that it was a waste of their money

If it's a freemium version of a big game, then everyone argues that the devs just want more money and they go and play different games

And in Dead Triggers case...well, the less said the better

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Another thing to consider is that everyone values their money vastly differently, so price discussion often adds nothing of value to a thread as it's so highly personal. Obviously if you're super young, and only get iTunes credit on birthdays and holidays you're going to infinitely scrutinize every cent you spend on games. Comparatively, if you're fortunate enough to have disposable income, spending a buck or two on video games every few days isn't a big deal. There's just not much reason to talk about it, as those two types of people will likely never see eye to eye.

What they will be able to discuss on a level playing field is how good the game is, how fun it is, strategy for playing it, etc. I guess I liken it to Yelp reviews that focus on entree pricing at restaurants. I don't care how much the food costs because I've already mentally committed to the idea of going out to a restaurant, and the requisite associated costs. What I care about is whether or not it's good- I think video games are very similar.

18. Yeah, thanks kindly to you and Vovin, I have learned so much today about appstore pricing and the impacts of it on Toucharcade. Haha! :p

In all seriousness though (yes, sometimes I can be serious!), it is kind of interesting how pricing issues seems to go in cycles. At first, it was games going free after you bought them, then a lot of games started converting to freemium or free, then more recently it seems that developers have been shafting early adopters by going on sale or free in 3 days after release.

Also, take into account many games now are throwing in a lot of inapps and going to more of a freemium model. Even Chillingo nowadays seems to be going in that route of converting to free or freemium in a month. But it is great to have a lot of Indies still that are trying to make it in the appstore, and as Vovin said, it is great to be able to buy such great games for a buck. Really happy about that cause I can keep collecting endless games.

Yeah, about Dead Trigger, yeah, mum is the word... I sure hope it never converts back to a pay app again! Imagine the horror! :p

19. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Finally.

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The TouchArcade app is a total rip-off.