Are pixel-graphics games a cover up? (getting sick of them).

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheOctagonTheory, May 16, 2013.

1. TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    Lately there are so many pixel (8-bit, 16-bit) graphics games with chiptune sounds coming out. The developers justify them by saying they wanted the 'retro' feel. But could this 'retro' design choice be due to laziness and a way to hide behind a lack of skill rather than artistic expression?

2. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

On the contrary, I found the pixel art to be very expressive and refreshing, compared to a lot of the generic looking/flat 3D games coming out. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal reference.

I do think part of it is that the teams are small, and 2D assets, especially blocky pixel art, is much easier to create. It comes down to money and time, not laziness. 8-bit/16-bit graphics are very popular with the indie community (especially with the rise of Minecraft), and many developers/gamers genuinely enjoy this style.

3. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Used to be where I let the artistic expression slide. But now there are so many, I honestly don't know. I know devving a game is hard.
    But to see so many pixel graphics feel like its a cheap cash in on the "Retro" craze.
    I prefer 3D graphics, even low res like UMK3.

4. zzandreezz

zzandreezz Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    USA
    I like some pixel art games such as: Kairosoft games, Organ Trail, Super Brothers, Star Command,... But retro-reloaded games are flooding App Store. There are so many of them in lots of game genre( shooting, rpg, platform,...) that I lost my interest in, except for some unique games. I am also suprised by rhe lack of 3D games on IOS

5. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    It's supply and demand. Hipsters like retro, pixel graphics are retro, all hipsters are issued an iPhone, so pixel games sell.

6. TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    I know there are a lot of good ones like Junk Jack, Blockheads, Deepworld, Block Fortress, etc. But is my theory completely wrong? There are never developers who do what I said?

7. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    #7 Fleabag323, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    Just like in "high-res" art, there's good and bad pixel art. I would much prefer good pixel art over bad or even medium quality high res 2D art. For a lot of games, I feel like 2D art would even be a detriment. Knights of Pen and Paper and games by Rocketcat are examples.

Even better is when the pixel art is used, but particle effects are added or there are clean diagonals that wouldn't be possible if it were actually running at a low resolution. Legend of Dungeon (which might be coming to iOS) is an awesome example of it, since it has amazing-looking dynamic shadows and bumpmaps on pixel art, creating a really unique style.

Unless your game is going for realism or has a stylized look, the art usually just ends up being bland and generic. On iOS, a great example of when this doesn't happen is Ridiculous Fishing, where it's almost an interpretation of what pixel art would look like if the pixels were all rotated 45°. Somewhere where it appears to happen is the upcoming 3DS remake of Link to the Past. I don't know about you, but the old one on the right looks infinitely better than the new one, especially in terms of crispness and character.
    [​IMG]

8. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    #8 Morgan01, May 16, 2013
    The pixel art is done very well in some games, while in others, it's obvious the time and effort wasn't put into it. The pixel-graphic games is another fad. Or, like the previous commenter stated, used more for stylish effect. A few design ideas do well, then it seems like everyone jumps on the band wagon for the ride and a quick buck. A prime example is the endless runner games. Temple run hit it big and now there are runners coming out of the wood work. If there is money to be made, someone will exploit it.

9. AaronLee

AaronLee Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Interactive Designer
    Philadelphia
    Contrary to popular belief, pixel art is not THAT easy to make. You can tell when a non-artist has taken a stab at it in order to try and make up for their lack of drawing skills. But pixel art in the hands of a talent can look crisp and fantastic. And, you don't need a 3d rendering engine to make that happen, so smaller dev teams generally hire an artist to create the assets for them.

However, 3D renders in the hands of someone lacking the proper skill will look TERRIBLE, and all credibility of that game might go right out the window. I'd rather see less than stellar pixel graphics than less than stellar 3D graphics.

That, and pixel graphics have kind of moved past the era of looking dated. We hated the look during the reign of the PSX and N64, but looking back now, those games haven't aged well when the SNES and Genesis games now have their charm back.

To each his own I guess though. I'm happy with the deluge.

10. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I for one never hated the look. Also, I totally agree with the how early polygon-based 3D has age, compared to how games like Demon's Crest have aged.

11. Getting to be too many.

12. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Ios 3D games don't age too well either.
    Altough things like MC1 still are servicable. But simple 3D with light texturing has its own charm. I can always apperciate that.

13. I don't mind them, but for people new to the development game, making a pixel art game would be easier than making a 3D game. You'd rather see some average pixel art than some crappy 3D graphics, right?

It all depends on the size of your development team, your budget, and your time. But simple solution if you're tired of games with pixel graphics: don't play them. Problem solved.

14. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Good call on Knights if Pen and Paper. The pixel graphics are so bad on that that its unplayable on the iPad.

15. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    #15 Fleabag323, May 16, 2013
    Good call by whom? I was applauding Knights of Pen and Paper's pixel art. It fits the game perfectly. The only other art style I could see working would be something like what Mika Mobile's games have, but that would ruin some of the references like MissingNo. It's a little bit blocky on bigger screens because more isn't being shown, but that'll hopefully be alleviated with the +1 Edition update that brings landscape mode (and possibly a zoomed out view since there would be more art available for portrait).

16. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    #16 SimianSquared, May 16, 2013
    Pixel art can be less work or more work. In the case of the Other Brothers, it was actually more work - because we decided that every level would be one giant uniquely photoshopped level, not tiles or anything like that. This is significantly more work than a few 3D props textured or a retro game using tiles.

It also goes the extra mile with retro special effects you'd see on super nintendo or such, adds lighting, shadowing, vignetting etc...

On the other hand it's easy to spot the titles which are retro just because the author isn't an artist, or retro because they simply don't have the time or energy to make it. Or perhaps it's just someone trying to 'cash in'.

In short, I believe that only a few retro titles deserve to be retro, and it's those titles which actually clearly do it for the visual sake, rather than a cop-out because cba to do good graphics. You'll spot those easily enough.

17. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    There are far too many coming out. There seems to be two new 'retro' games getting reviewed on TA every week

18. Bmamba

Bmamba Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Game dev
    Canada
    Yeah... Well, it seem their only few way to get featured(review or else) on TouchArcade front page.

-Make a retro game (2D sprites)
    -Be Gameloft, or a other big publisher
    -Make a game with zombie

Dammm.. My game wont ever be featured then ...;)